• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We're waiting for the Oldham Loop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackClare

Where I live next to the Freehold stop, the new station and part of the track is visible from my house and trams have been running up and down the line all day. Yesterday morning saw an M5000 head up the line, followed about 4 minutes later by another, so I reckon the TMS is now finally working. Just a matter of patience, and lots of exciting weeks I think... :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
The TMS isn't being used to control the junction to this line, they've gone for an old style signal as an interim measure.

There have apparently been issues with the signalling of the single line section near dean lane, but the rest of the route to mumps should be fairly signal free!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Wasnt so much the difference in single track or double track bridge costs, structural assessment of the bridge condition found it wouldnt be strong enough to carry two tracks unless rebuilt so they reduced it to one to avoid having to rebuild it which would have taken around 3 months, was more a time issue.

Nym

Established Member
Wow, where on earth could we find time in these 942 days we've had the whole network closed to re-build a bridge...

In this amount of time they could have electrified every suburban line in Greater Manchester!!!

Ashburys to Romiley
Guide Bridge to Romiley
Romiley to Rose Hill
Romiley to Chinley
Chinley to Hazel Grove
Wigan to Manchester via Atherton
Wigan to Manchester via Bolton
Manchester to Rochdale via Oldham and Castleton
Guide Bridge to Stalybridge
Stalybridge to Victoria

I bet they could have had all this done...

At a push they could have re-opened a heavy rail route into Leigh and electrified that too...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I don't like being like asking things like this, but do people think the residents of Oldham, Shaw, Failsworth etc would prefer a heavy rail or tram service? I can remember in the Loop's final summer / early autumn weekends, with 142 + 150 combinations leaving Mumps bound for Victoria full and standing, and that was the same every 15 minutes (though the trains from Shaw were slightly quieter). Does anyone expect 5 / 6 trams an hour to cope on a weekend? AFAIAC the conversion of the Oldham Loop was nothing short of idiotic. It just demonstrates TfGM's pro-tram, anti-heavy rail stance on a good few matters; they at times appear not to give the slightest about the railways within their borders. I'm with Nym on this one. You could have electrified the Loop, and plated it with gold sleepers for the cost of conversion. Having towns like Bury, Sale and Oldham (with more than 100,000 residents) with nothing more than a tram service is either awful or laughable, I can't decide which.

Nym

Established Member
I don't like being like asking things like this, but do people think the residents of Oldham, Shaw, Failsworth etc would prefer a heavy rail or tram service? I can remember in the Loop's final summer / early autumn weekends, with 142 + 150 combinations leaving Mumps bound for Victoria full and standing, and that was the same every 15 minutes (though the trains from Shaw were slightly quieter). Does anyone expect 5 / 6 trams an hour to cope on a weekend? AFAIAC the conversion of the Oldham Loop was nothing short of idiotic. It just demonstrates TfGM's pro-tram, anti-heavy rail stance on a good few matters; they at times appear not to give the slightest about the railways within their borders. I'm with Nym on this one. You could have electrified the Loop, and plated it with gold sleepers for the cost of conversion. Having towns like Bury, Sale and Oldham (with more than 100,000 residents) with nothing more than a tram service is either awful or laughable, I can't decide which.

The thing is; trams don't even have the same capacity of a pacer, and with only running at 5tph with unreliable service gaps and no proper timetable, it's all just going to go wrong.

With a maximum capacity of 206 with only 60 seats, per hour this is going to be 1030(300)/hr capacity with trams. Or for another example, 28.4m * 5 of space per hour, that is 142m/h

Now, with four pacers per hour, this was...

102 - 121, per unit lets average that at 110, so this is already 50 more seats. Now, with crush loading you can fit between 70 and 90 standees in a Class 142. Giving a capacity of about 190. Or 31m. That being 760 pax and 124m/h

So the hourly capacity increase is actually less than a single additional unit, if only single pacers were ever used, but these were often doubled up providing additional capacity.

For the price of what they have paid for this line conversion, and I've seen £200mil banded around...

Now the cost of electrifying to Liverpool and the lancs triangle is half that so one could reasonably assume that a lot of suburban lines could be electrified for that. Perhaps even both routes to Rochdale so that services could run in an actual loop.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and just to add some more fuel to the fire, how many Class 172 turbostars could one have purchased for use exclusively on Greater Manchester suburban Diesel services, namely:

Manchester Piccadilly - Marple
Manchester Piccadilly - New Mills Central
Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate
Manchester Victoria - Oldham - Rochdale
Manchester Victoria - Rochdale (run as a loop via Oldham)

One beleives that you could have baught, for say, £100,000,000 45 two car or 30 three car DMUs.

Established Member

It will be interesting to see what the journey time comparison is between tram and the former heavy rail trains, and how many people will instead go via Rochdale instead of using the trams.

One of the main factors will be the benefit of not having to change at Man Vic when going to Man Pic - a tram should get you there without the penalty of an interchange.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its not there for people to ride all the way from Rochdale to Manchester, they should use the heavy rail line. Its there for people travelling into Rochdale and Oldham or their suburbs. Last few weekends of Oldham Loop were also unnaturally busy, was a huge turnout of enthusiasts who wanted to ride the line before it closed.

Established Member
Its not there for people to ride all the way from Rochdale to Manchester, they should use the heavy rail line. Its there for people travelling into Rochdale and Oldham or their suburbs. Last few weekends of Oldham Loop were also unnaturally busy, was a huge turnout of enthusiasts who wanted to ride the line before it closed.

From what I can remember, people living in places like Miln Row would rather go via Rochdale into Manchester rather than using the tram via Oldham.

Also, it might not be the case that the tram is there for people going all the way into Manchester from Rochdale, but there are certain groups of passengers who will be more inclined to use a service which does not involve a change, but will travel direct.

Andrew Nelson

From what I can remember, people living in places like Miln Row would rather go via Rochdale into Manchester rather than using the tram via Oldham.

Also, it might not be the case that the tram is there for people going all the way into Manchester from Rochdale, but there are certain groups of passengers who will be more inclined to use a service which does not involve a change, but will travel direct.

And be cheaper.

martin2345uk

Established Member
It's believed that the oldham line will connect with the Chorlton line, and will therefore not go to Piccadilly... that's not 100% certain, but I'd say highly likely.

Established Member
It's believed that the oldham line will connect with the Chorlton line, and will therefore not go to Piccadilly... that's not 100% certain, but I'd say highly likely.

Assumed it joined near Dean Lane and ran through the Piccadilly - although as soon as I saw the line on the last day my interest went out the door.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

There has been much in the way of "whispered" comments stating St Werburgh's Road will be the destination for the Oldham trams, which will see part-completed sections on both lines being conjoined, without adding to the capacity requirements at Manchester Piccadilly undercroft Metrolink station

JackClare

Ticket machine at Freehold on the Manchester bound platform unpacked from the box, also now that it's gone darker I've noticed a glow coming from it, suggesting that it's switched on and ready for test/use? And today workers were installing a yellow fence around the bottom of the station near where the ground floor entrance to the lift is, giving it a very Metrolink feel I thought as I walked past. Shouldn't be long now... :)

Crossover

Established Member
Just been looking at a few things on Google Maps and the layout is beginning to make a little more sense now!

Didn't realise how much had been double tracked as part of the upgrades.

Anyway, the line through Milnrow has been wired this week (so shiny!) - a shot of part of the line I refer to can be found here - they have cleared a huge amount of undergrowth there and the line is fairly visible.

Going further towards Rochdale, I realise now that the line passing under Junction 21 of the M62 is also part of it. This looks relatively untouched at the moment (not sure if it has been beem so much as relaid or anything, though from the car it is difficult to see) but there are certainly no catenary supports that I can see.

Next thing I am intending doing is searching out Shaw station as I think it is fairly close to where I drive past.

Eagle

Established Member
Now we have seen the map and we've seen Oldham Mumps on a tram, thought I'd add my re-creating as we don't yet have an offical map yet.

If you're changing the map can you rotate the branches so they bear at least a passing resemblance to actual geography? :P Always annoyed me about that map.

snail

Established Member
You could have electrified the Loop, and plated it with gold sleepers for the cost of conversion.
Do you know what the comparative costs would have been? (That's a genuine question, not a rhetorical one)

One of the reasons TfGM prefer trams to trains is that they get control of the infrastructure. The Oldham loop was falling apart and needed the complete rebuild it's getting, but no one was prepared to pay for it while it was a normal railway. Others will know better than me but I don't think TfGM could pay for (or get the cash from Government to pay for) the track upgrades even if they wanted to.

Class377/5

Established Member
If you're changing the map can you rotate the branches so they bear at least a passing resemblance to actual geography? :P Always annoyed me about that map.

That's an interesting idea.....

The ones at the stops was always more geographical on the account of more space where this map is designed to fit in certain places.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Someone, not me exam revision :P, could use google maps to create a true geographical representation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.