• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfowkes

Are there any new services or timetable changes coming up that make use of the freed capacity north of Peterborough?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Apparently 4E25 Bow to Heck and 4E20 Felixstowe to Masborough used it aswell
All down freights since 3pm have been using the diveunder, but nothing whatsoever in the up direction,
so presumably the up line has not been approved for use at this point in time?

MARK

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All down freights since 3pm have been using the diveunder, but nothing whatsoever in the up direction,
so presumably the up line has not been approved for use at this point in time?
There were no limitations in the ORR authorisation letter, of course that doesn’t mean there can’t have been a subsequent fault. Maybe tomorrow…

59CosG95

Established Member

GB

Established Member
AIUI, GBRf are moving to March specifically for increased use of the dive-under.

GBRf already have a presence at March but doubtful they will move all operation there, they have just spent a lot of money on upgrading and increasing stabling facilities at Peterborough. March also cannot handle full size intermodals and its maintenance facility would soon be over run.

helpstonjctn

I enjoyed watching 66221 on 4L45 being 'overpassed' by 1E09 and 1A28 on the DF and UF lines just after 1pm today.

A seemingly knowledgeable local chap told me that an OTP went through the dive under in the very early hours of Sunday to make final checks, and then apparently the first real action was a freight sometime on Sunday morning.

Not sure how accurate this claim is, but looking at RTT the only candidate appears to be 6Y70 Biggleswade-Belmont Down Yard:
However, this posts a time for Werrington Jctn as usual, so perhaps not?

Shame the entry into service has been quite so unceremonious.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That's interesting. If the passenger service, 2K10, also used the diveunder a crossing movement would have been avoided
According to Realtimetrains, it departed from platform 2 so to use the diveunder would have involved crossing 3 lines on the ECML instead of 1 line on the GNGE.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
According to Realtimetrains, it departed from platform 2 so to use the diveunder would have involved crossing 3 lines on the ECML instead of 1 line on the GNGE.

Ah, of course. I forgot the Spalding services use the easternmost line between Peterborough and Werrington Junction, so a crossing movement was unavoidable whether or not the freight used the diveunder.

RichE

I enjoyed watching 66221 on 4L45 being 'overpassed' by 1E09 and 1A28 on the DF and UF lines just after 1pm today.

A seemingly knowledgeable local chap told me that an OTP went through the dive under in the very early hours of Sunday to make final checks, and then apparently the first real action was a freight sometime on Sunday morning.

Not sure how accurate this claim is, but looking at RTT the only candidate appears to be 6Y70 Biggleswade-Belmont Down Yard:
However, this posts a time for Werrington Jctn as usual, so perhaps not?

Shame the entry into service has been quite so unceremonious.

Sources tell me there is to be an official/ceremonial opening, not sure of the date but I suspect it may be next week.

DelW

Established Member
Sources tell me there is to be an official/ceremonial opening, not sure of the date but I suspect it may be next week.
Possibly including a day out for sundry politicians, who will be photographed wearing spotless hi-vis and entirely superfluous hard hats? :D

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Possibly including a day out for sundry politicians, who will be photographed wearing spotless hi-vis and entirely superfluous hard hats? :D
And no doubt trumpeting how much cheaper this upgrade was than the HS2's extension of HS2 to Yorkshire they canned last month. (But not mentioning that it provides a far smaller improvement in capacity)
The editorial in this week's RAIL makes interesting reading

adamedwards

Curious to see if the use of the diveunder will result in improved performance by the passenger trains as just fewer trains in the way?

TheHSRailFan

Curious to see if the use of the diveunder will result in improved performance by the passenger trains as just fewer trains in the way?
Basically, yeah. Its purpose is so freight coming from Anglia way don't block the mainline causing delays.

59CosG95

Established Member
I was going to say - I thought south of Bawtry all was done on ECML PSU1?
The bare minimum to allow enough Azumas to run (AT between Welwyn & Hitchin, Boosterless Classic from Wood Green to Bawtry (exc. Hertford Loop), new feeder at Essendine) has been completed. Most of the bog-standard TSCs/MPTSCs have been upgraded; only the feeders remain ongoing. These are at:
  • Wood Green (London, adj to Bounds Green Depot)
  • Little Barford (Beds/Cambs border);
  • Nene & Bretton (Peterborough; the work at Bretton hasn't even started yet due to land ownership hurdles. Nene's supply will be diverted to Bretton, with Nene removed);
  • Bytham (Lincs, between Essendine & Stoke Tunnel; the existing building was planned for re-use but a new one is supposedly replacing the old)
  • Grantham North (Lincs, just south of Peascliff Tunnel; this is one of the 'power problem' sites);
  • Retford (Notts, north of the station; this is the other 'power problem' site).
Additionally, Biggleswade MPTSC is not quite finished (NR are still decidong whether or not to keep the neutral section), and Tallington TSC is yet to be removed (which requires Bretton FS to be conpleted first).

TheBigD

Established Member
Can anyone confirm whether today's (05/12/21) Hull Trains 1H03 1418 Peterborough to Hull used the dive under please?
It would appear so from watching it on traksy as it appeared to use the down Stamford before appearing on the Spalding line. Confirmation that it was the first in passenger train through the dive under would be appreciated.

Shwam3

Can anyone confirm whether today's (05/12/21) Hull Trains 1H03 1418 Peterborough to Hull used the dive under please?
It would appear so from watching it on traksy as it appeared to use the down Stamford before appearing on the Spalding line. Confirmation that it was the first in passenger train through the dive under would be appreciated.
Yes, 1H03 used it at 14:44 today.

From my train describer logs, PB0499 is the diveunder signal:
[05/12/21 14:41:09] CA 1H03 PB0471 PB0475
[05/12/21 14:42:06] CA 1H03 PB0475 PB0485
[05/12/21 14:42:46] CA 1H03 PB0485 PB0499
[05/12/21 14:44:32] CA 1H03 PB0499 PB7007
[05/12/21 14:45:26] CA 1H03 PB7007 PB7009

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In addition to the earlier explanation taken from the signalling logs, you can also see it on RTT as with the initial freights a few days ago. The thing to look for, as well as the down Stamford line use, is “no report” at Werrington Junction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.