• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Franchise ITT released by DfT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
We need more DMUs with electrification in its current state so I would not be surprised. LM to become a 172 and 195 only DMU franchise. Plenty to release to other operators especially wales, FGW etc who are going to need DMUs. EMT as well.

Yes 172s as commuter DMUs and 195s as longer distance/rural DMUs makes sense. Although, whether they'd be able to release DMUs before the 2019 accessibility deadline is another question. It's also worth remembering Northern's franchise agreement includes a requirement to take on DMUs 'equivalent in quality and performance to 170s' post-2019.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Given that there's something like 120 DMU coaches over the whole London Midland franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to be a total replacement of three existing fleet. This is just because anything less than that write be a fairly small order.

A small order of trains identical to ones already being produced for another franchise would be more viable than a small order of a different design. Also CAF don't seem to mind 'small' orders - look at size of the TPE order from CAF.

pemma

Veteran Member
It was more for future developments than for now, really, though being able to get the fug out of New St would be a benefit on its own.

It's Northern who *really have* bought the wrong thing.

As we don't know how many may be ordered or what routes they may be used on saying the 195s are wrong option is premature.

By 2030 all of the Sprinters (and 159s) should have been scrapped. Anyone who thinks they'll be enough electrification to scrap all those DMUs as well as allow for passenger growth without ordering new diesel trains isn't living in the real world. While I do think most passengers would prefer to see greener trains I also don't think most would be happy with something like a 25% fare rise to pay for the higher costs of bi-modes to run the first few miles on overheads.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Is a 195s expected performance characteristics better than, equal to or less than 170s?

I've always maintained that the work LM ask their 170s to do is largely unsuitable, accept perhaps the Shrewsbury locals but anyone who has suffered 1 on a Hereford knows about it

pemma

Veteran Member
Is a 195s expected performance characteristics better than, equal to or less than 170s?

I imagine DfT are thinking along the lines of the additional trains should:
- Be 100mph capable
- Have 2+2 seating and tables
- Have air conditioning
- Have wi-fi (which the 170s transferring from Scotrail will be fitted with.)

And that the 170s are the cheapest option to meet that requirement if some are available.

The Ham

Established Member
65 vehicles (assuming growth, and 150 and 153 replacement) isn't a "fairly small order". The 195s could easily be concentrated on one or two routes in the same way that the 172s are concentrated on Snow Hill.

I'm not sure how you get to 65 units given earlier you said:
- 40 units for Snow Hill
- a unit for Kenilworth

Making 41 units

Add in the three 150's and eight 153's and that's a total of 52.

assuming 45 units of 2 coaches each and 7 of three coaches and that's 111 new coaches, even assuming all the new units are three coaches long and that's 156 new coaches. The latter's a decent sized order the former is a bit on the small side.

If it were to be a like for like order plus 41 units for growth that would be between 210 coaches and 250 (ish, depending on the number of three coach versions). Which would still not be a large order (bearing in mind that the 22x's which are seen as a small set of units on the UK rail network have 505 coaches), although it would start to make the 195's start to be a more reasonable UK fleet with circa 350 to 400 coaches. That would be comparable to the circa 330 coaches which make up the class 170 fleets.

ChrisHogan

I'm not sure how you get to 65 units given earlier you said:
- 40 units for Snow Hill
- a unit for Kenilworth

Making 41 units

Add in the three 150's and eight 153's and that's a total of 52.

assuming 45 units of 2 coaches each and 7 of three coaches and that's 111 new coaches, even assuming all the new units are three coaches long and that's 156 new coaches. The latter's a decent sized order the former is a bit on the small side.

If it were to be a like for like order plus 41 units for growth that would be between 210 coaches and 250 (ish, depending on the number of three coach versions). Which would still not be a large order (bearing in mind that the 22x's which are seen as a small set of units on the UK rail network have 505 coaches), although it would start to make the 195's start to be a more reasonable UK fleet with circa 350 to 400 coaches. That would be comparable to the circa 330 coaches which make up the class 170 fleets.

Vehicles not units. Stakeholder briefing specifies a minimum of 137 additional diagrammed vehicles over the life of the franchise. My guesstimate is 48 electrics for Euston and 45 electrics for CrossCity/Walsall/Crewe via Stoke leaves 44 diesel vehicles. Remember these are diagrammed vehicles so add the maintenance requirement gives us 50 growth plus 6 150 replacements plus 8 153 replacements gives 64 diesel vehicles.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's a lot of EMUs - 12 4-car units in fact - does that mean we finally get a complete end to 4-car operation, and an end to excessive 8-car peak operation? DMUs aside, sounds rather good. I assume they don't replace the 319s but supplement them? (Otherwise that's just 4 extras).

How many have TPE got again? They would be an obvious source.

pemma

Veteran Member
That's a lot of EMUs - 12 4-car units in fact - does that mean we finally get a complete end to 4-car operation, and an end to excessive 8-car peak operation? DMUs aside, sounds rather good. I assume they don't replace the 319s but supplement them? (Otherwise that's just 4 extras).

TPE have 40 carriages (10 x 350/4s) off-lease from late 2018. There's also 17 x 323s off-lease from 1st January 2019. However, I don't think we can presume there won't be any brand new EMUs for the next franchise given bidders were asked to come up with ways of improving long distance services - could a bidder have decided 397s would be ideal for Liverpool to Birmingham/Crewe to Euston and that the 350/2s can go off-lease?

ChrisHogan

It's only my guessestimate but it would largely eliminate 8-car working in and out of Euston in the peaks; most of which are coded 'double-red' by the LM as passengers are standing more than 20 minutes. (See the poster on display at Euston). I would have thought that some, at least, would be needed for the December 2018 timetable upgrade and I think that rules out the ten 350/4s, at least initially.

ChrisHogan

TPE have 40 carriages (10 x 350/4s) off-lease from late 2018. There's also 17 x 323s off-lease from 1st January 2019. However, I don't think we can presume there won't be any brand new EMUs for the next franchise given bidders were asked to come up with ways of improving long distance services - could a bidder have decided 397s would be ideal for Liverpool to Birmingham/Crewe to Euston and that the 350/2s can go off-lease?

Both bidders are believed to be offering new high-spec EMUs for CrossCity to comply with the ITT requirement for a robust autumn leaffall service (page 48 of the Stakeholder Briefing).

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Rumour is a new order of 195s is set to be confirmed this week.
Forgive me for being the cynic, but may I ask where you have heard these rumours. As a regular user of the Hereford Line I've accustomed to its dire service for perpetuity. :|
The Hereford line is only electrified to King's Norton and the Shrewsbury line only to Oxley. The new franchise will need about 40 extra diagrammed vehicles for Snow Hill, Hereford and Shrewsbury lines plus the unit for Kenilworth, plus replacements for the three 150s (that I assume are still going to Northern) and I imagine replacements for the 153s. The Rugeley electrification releases only a handful of diesels (9 diagrammed vehicles?) and Bromsgrove electrification nothing.

Don't condemn us to another ten years of a "no growth" franchise.
Sometimes I get the impression that some people may not quite appreciate that the electrification as you say only goes as far as Kings Norton. Indeed, it will soon reach Bromsgrove but only via the slow lines through Longbridge and Northfield. Perhaps I've falsely come to this conclusion but I can fully understand how people make think otherwise.
Yes 172s as commuter DMUs and 195s as longer distance/rural DMUs makes sense. Although, whether they'd be able to release DMUs before the 2019 accessibility deadline is another question. It's also worth remembering Northern's franchise agreement includes a requirement to take on DMUs 'equivalent in quality and performance to 170s' post-2019.
That would seem a good split between the classes. I'd be cautious about a homogeneous DMU fleet as the characteristics between the Snow Hill and Hereford/Shrewsbury services are rather different.

I've always maintained that the work LM ask their 170s to do is largely unsuitable, accept perhaps the Shrewsbury locals but anyone who has suffered 1 on a Hereford knows about it
I'd argue that is predominately down to the woeful capacity compared to what is required. 2-car services are never going to be comfortable.

pemma

Veteran Member
Forgive me for being the cynic, but may I ask where you have heard these rumours. As a regular user of the Hereford Line I've accustomed to its dire service for perpetuity. :|

Posted on wnxx (another forum which requires an account to see posts) but another user has since questioned the accuracy of them.

pemma

Veteran Member
Both bidders are believed to be offering new high-spec EMUs for CrossCity to comply with the ITT requirement for a robust autumn leaffall service (page 48 of the Stakeholder Briefing).

If the winner bidder has no long term requirement for 323s someone at Porterbrook will feel like an idiot.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It would indeed be nice to see proper end-doored InterCity EMUs on those services.

superalbs

Established Member

pemma

Veteran Member
That gives no indication of how many replacement vehicles they'll be, only the number of additional ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

superalbs

Established Member
That gives no indication of how many replacement vehicles they'll be, only the number of additional ones.

Hmm, well the 150s/153s can't soldier on forever, so I'd say at the very least they'll be replaced. That's 14 carriages, which leaves 121.

But would the rest of the order be diesel or electric I wonder.

pemma

Veteran Member
Hmm, well the 150s/153s can't soldier on forever, so I'd say at the very least they'll be replaced. That's 14 carriages, which leaves 121.

But would the rest of the order be diesel or electric I wonder.

No. If a 2 car train arrives a 2 car train departs that counts for 0 out of the 137 additional carriages. If they took on the 10 x 350/4s and released the 7 x 319s that would count as 12 of the 137 (the difference between the 40 incoming and the 28 outgoing.)

What would happen if they took on the Anglia cl-360s, the TPE cl-350/4s and the SWT cl-707s but ditched the cl-323s, 150s and 153s?

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Assuming that the figure of 137 is mainly based on 3 or 6 coach trains, I have worked out (albeit unscientifically) that 137 divided by 3 does not go.

However, assuming that there would be one 2 coach train, that figure is 135, which does divide by 3.

Perhaps may I dare say it, that 2 coach train could be the Class 230 which would be specially dedicated for the Coventry - Nuneaton shuttle?

Alternatively, there could be 3 and 6 coach trains totalling 123 coaches, with 6 lots of 2 coach trains. Obviously, the London Overground Class 172s will be dispensed with in the near future, however, they have a fleet of 8 Class 172s.

Mordac

Established Member
Assuming that the figure of 137 is mainly based on 3 or 6 coach trains, I have worked out (albeit unscientifically) that 137 divided by 3 does not go.

However, assuming that there would be one 2 coach train, that figure is 135, which does divide by 3.

Perhaps may I dare say it, that 2 coach train could be the Class 230 which would be specially dedicated for the Coventry - Nuneaton shuttle?

Alternatively, there could be 3 and 6 coach trains totalling 123 coaches, with 6 lots of 2 coach trains. Obviously, the London Overground Class 172s will be dispensed with in the near future, however, they have a fleet of 8 Class 172s.

The 230 has 3 coaches, though.

tomuk

Established Member
Why does the LM diesel fleet need replacing?

The 172s are only six years old and the 170s aren't much older.

They only need a few extra units to replace the 150s which I thought were going to be 153s.

They don't need any extra units for the extra Shrewsburys as the current stopper is usually a 2x 170s and is mostly empty.

If it was me I would take on the 172s from LO and Chiltern. Release a few 170s back to Chiltern for conversion to 168s.

You would end up as follows:
153s - Coventry- Nuneaton/Leamington, Blecthley-Bedford
170s - Shrewsbury - Birmingham, Hereford/Worcester-Birmingham
172s - Snowhill Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.