• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your favourite chain for coffee in the UK?

What is your favourite chain for coffee?

• AMT Coffee

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Caffe Nero

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Costa Coffee

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Gail’s Bakery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greggs

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Joe & The Juice

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Pret A Manger

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Starbucks

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other (please specify in the comments)

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
I also like Tim Hortons, but unfortunately there isn't really a convenient branch for me - I have been to two, Birmingham City Centre and Sheffield Crystal Peaks. I don't think I'd go there if I just wanted a hot drink, though, preferring Costa - though their White Hot Chocolate I tried a few years ago and don't like it, unlike the Horton's stuff when I tried that last year, though I haven't been back since.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Noticed a number of votes for Tim Hortons in this thread. My memory might be off, but the few times I've tried it in this country the drinks have tasted very different to how I'm sure the original Canadian store ones taste.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Noticed a number of votes for Tim Hortons in this thread. My memory might be off, but the few times I've tried it in this country the drinks have tasted very different to how I'm sure the original Canadian store ones taste.
The local ingredients used i suspect, same as McDonalds can taste different in different countries.

Tim Hortons french vanilla latte is very good.

Welly

I thought they'd gone out of business, so I looked up their website and put in my postcode for nearest bar locator map, and got a map of the Eastern seaboard of the USA, which is a bit of a stretch from Cornwall. :D
Have they? Can't say I noticed at the time <shrugs>

ChrisC

Established Member
Whenever possible I try to support the local independent coffee and tea shops. I especially try to do this when visiting smaller market towns. At stations I am fairly happy to use any of the National chains.

When in large cities if I can’t find an independent shop I probably prefer Cafe Nero mainly because I find them more relaxing with perhaps a quieter and slightly older customer base. I sometimes feel a bit old for Starbucks these days and find it full of students and young office workers. I tend to avoid Costa as many branches these days are like a mother and toddler group for Karen from Facebook and Vickey Pollard!

My favourite is Roberts & Co of Mawdesley, Lancashire. It's hardly a chain with just the one outlet at Cedar Farm. They do their own roasting of coffee beans on the premises and you can buy them in packs to take home.

PeterY

Established Member
Sadly I don't drink coffee but I voted for Starbucks because I do like their tea.

philosopher

Established Member
Whenever possible I try to support the local independent coffee and tea shops. I especially try to do this when visiting smaller market towns. At stations I am fairly happy to use any of the National chains.

When in large cities if I can’t find an independent shop I probably prefer Cafe Nero mainly because I find them more relaxing with perhaps a quieter and slightly older customer base. I sometimes feel a bit old for Starbucks these days and find it full of students and young office workers. I tend to avoid Costa as many branches these days are like a mother and toddler group for Karen from Facebook and Vickey Pollard!
Of the chains, I prefer Caffè Nero, mainly as they have the best coffee, food and the most relaxing environment. The decor and environment in their stores is also usually quite consistent, which I often do not find with the other chains. It is a shame they got rid of the free newspapers since Covid hit though.

At Starbucks and Costa however you do seem to get larger portions, so I expect there is an element of quality vs quantity.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Caffe Nero for O2 Priority but independents to spend my own money.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Best Chain: Hermanos (assuming 8 shops counts as a chain)

Best of the big chains: Caffé Nero by a mile.

I really don’t understand the love for Costa - the coffee really isn‘t great.

and as for….

Has to be Wetherspoons. Less than £1.30 (often 99p) for unlimited Lavazza. If one’s nearby then why go anywhere else?

surely why would anyone want to go to that chain for anything other than the lavatory? I’d be much happier spending three times as much at a nearby independent, or twice as much at a proper coffee chain. (I’ve made my views on Wetherspoons very clear previously!)

dk1

Veteran Member
surely why would anyone want to go to that chain for anything other than the lavatory? I’d be much happier spending three times as much at a nearby independent, or twice as much at a proper coffee chain. (I’ve made my views on Wetherspoons very clear previously!)
I couldn’t disagree with you more even if I made the effort to. I’m in almost everyday for breakfast when working & many days when I’m not too. Can’t beat delicious Lavazza in unlimited quantities for 99p. I also a Spoon ticker for a hobby amassing well over 500 so far but can only count them when alcohol his consumed.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Indeed though they do tend to be everywhere and are a known quantity. If i'm somewhere new and the choice is Costa or an indie i'll go for the Costa. I always avoid their weird lattes in tall glasses though.

baz962

Established Member
Best Chain: Hermanos (assuming 8 shops counts as a chain)

Best of the big chains: Caffé Nero by a mile.

and as for….

Not everyone has a wallet as big as yours. :D

ashworth

Established Member
Sadly I don't drink coffee but I voted for Starbucks because I do like their tea.
I also like a cup of tea especially in the afternoon. Some of these coffee chains do nice tea but can be very expensive for what you actually get. I don’t mind so much if it’s a nice relaxing place to sit and you get a pot of tea with milk and a proper cup and saucer. What I do object to is the high price of takeaway tea at some of these places. A cardboard cup, one teabag, hot water and a bit of milk and they charge you at least £2. The actual cost of what you are getting must be less than 10p. I know they have staffing and all other overheads to consider but that’s some profit. In many large towns and cities you can get a good cup of tea in a local church for around 50p and they are still making a good profit for their funds from that.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What I do object to is the high price of takeaway tea at some of these places. A cardboard cup, one teabag, hot water and a bit of milk and they charge you at least £2. The actual cost of what you are getting must be less than 10p.

It’s not much different for coffee. The beans for a shot of coffee costs about 15p wholesale.

Iskra

Established Member
They're probably not paying any rent though unlike a high street cafe.
And the tax, rates, utilities, wages, cost of delivering to however many thousand stores etc…

My preference is Costa for coffee, Nero I’d put second and I believe they have the better food of the two (currently), but I usually find the service a bit slow and not very customer focused in Nero. Pret currently has the best food overall but their coffee is just okay. Starbucks I don’t rate at all in the UK, but I think it tastes nice in America and they probably win on iced drinks, but I’m not massively into them.

However, the above food opinions could change in a few weeks when Costa starts selling M&S food, depending on what exactly that ends up looking like…

*I must declare an interest in that I work in the industry, but the above is my honest opinion as a customer.

Last edited:

alex397

Established Member
I try and go to independents, especially in my local area. Generally better coffee (certainly not always of course), a better atmosphere, and better customer service.

I tend to find Costa and Starbucks often full of parents with babies, and tend to be a place that teenagers hang out. I don’t find their coffee very good either. So, no thanks.

But I do sometimes go into my local Cafe Nero. The staff there seem to be exceptionally friendly, and it’s in a well preserved historic building which is good to relax in.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I couldn’t disagree with you more even if I made the effort to. I’m in almost everyday for breakfast when working & many days when I’m not too. Can’t beat delicious Lavazza in unlimited quantities for 99p. I also a Spoon ticker for a hobby amassing well over 500 so far but can only count them when alcohol his consumed.

Half pint your Spoons threshold or does it have to be a pint? To stay broadly on topic they'd be in 2nd place behind Nero for me.

dk1

Veteran Member
Half pint your Spoons threshold or does it have to be a pint? To stay broadly on topic they'd be in 2nd place behind Nero for me.
It has to be a short, 175ml wine or a half pint as absolute minimum to call it a tick. So annoying as been to many for breakfast, lunch or just coffee but rules are rules. I don't touch alcohol before 16:00 either so that doesn't help :rolleyes:

317 forever

Established Member
Coffee#1 is my favourite chain. Mostly I've seen them in the midlands and west country but spotted one in Newbury. https://www.coffee1.co.uk/
It is mine too. I voted Caffe Nero though as it's my favourite on the list.

I was pleased by my coffee at Coffee Republic in Walsall in October.

Wetherspoons is good value but can be a bit tepid. Greggs is good value too if we combine it with a snack.

I created a thread a few months ago about how let down I have been by Pret a Manger. However, as their blend is delicious I occasionally buy their packets of ground coffee but use other cafes when out. I sometimes look up cafes before visiting towns in case any seem particularly promising!

TheEdge

Established Member
Never noticed that with a white coffee & im having several daily. Do you delay drinking them?

Knowing you and your opinion of Spoons outside of these forums as I do I just have to admit Spoons is just mediocre. It's cheap and cheerful, you pay your money, you know what quality to expect and it's just, well, adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.