• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Electrostar do you love the most?

Which electrostar do you love the most?

• Class 357

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Class 375

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Class 376

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Class 377

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Class 378

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Class 379

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HATE THEM ALL!!!

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

poshbakerloo

Which Electrostar do you love the most?

Class 357

800px-357036_at_Southend_Central.jpg

Class 375

800px-375908_at_London_Bridge.jpg

Class 376

800px-376015_at_Woolwich_Arsenal_1.jpg

Class 377

800px-Unit_377151_at_Ewell_East.JPG

Class 378

800px-378005_WIJ_01.jpg

Coming soon Class 379

Bombardier_Electrostar_II.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
If only this was multiple choice. I'd go with 375s & 377s because they are just about the same thing

CCF23

Definitely the 357's which are good and comfortable trains for the service they provide,but are not the must known about trains on the network from an enthusiasts point of view and also are the only electrostar to look a bit different from the rest.

Although i much prefer the older, usually slam door stock that electostars replaced.

Chris

TGVDUDE

Definitely the 357's which are good and comfortable trains for the service they provide,but are not the must known about trains on the network from an enthusiasts point of view and also are the only electrostar to look a bit different from the rest.

Although i much prefer the older, usually slam door stock that electostars replaced.

Chris

They are also the most reliable Class on the network according to RAIL

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I have been on every single type of "Electrostar" now and out of all of them the award of best "Electrostar" would have to go to the Class 357 which are operated by c2c.

As for the Class 376s Errr.....

MCR247

Established Member
Those seats on 376s, not only does the fact that its a bit of fabric as thin as a pancake on a plastic seat make it uncomfortable, but the way the seat is is just terrible

Daimler

Established Member
The ones I hate the least have got to be 376s. They're not too bad for what they are designed for.

That is probably the best way of putting it - but I'll go for the 375s, as all but the /9s are 2+2 (I believe), rather than the utterly ghastly 377 2+3 seating.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think that the 376s are the worst, the look horrible, and the doors should at least be plug doors

But sliding doors are more suited to Metro style operations- as they open and close that much faster, dwell times are lower.
I agree on the front ends though- why they didn't go with the 357/170 style cab I don't know- though surely better (and on the 378 too) would have been corridor connectors? I don't get why they don't have them?

johnb

378s don't have corridors because there's no realistic prospect they'll ever run in formation (extending the NLL and ELL to 8 cars - or even 6 cars - is very unlikely).

376s have the flat front rather than the 357/170 front because (Connex/SET - I forget exactly when they were ordered) wanted them to be as similar as possible to the 375s except in the ways they were different (erm, if you see what I mean). I'm not sure why they decided to spec them without corridors though.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yeah c2c are also the most punctual company in the country (they solely use 357's) so it shows how good the trains are.

Considering they are both used on the same types of services I wonder if the fact that are AC makes any difference?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Have to say I rather like the 375's as they have a good layout - plenty of tables and facing seats. And of course, vestibule connections to allow the buffet bloke through for a bottle of Spitfire.

thefab444

Established Member
I can't believe so many people have voted for 377s, they're just like a 375 with a rubbish interior! Except the ones which have a 375 interior of course.

TDK

Established Member
I can't believe so many people have voted for 377s, they're just like a 375 with a rubbish interior! Except the ones which have a 375 interior of course.

What a meaningless Poll, they are all trains built to the spec required by the operator.

vitesse

c2c are the most punctual operator now, however that didnt come without the teething trouble they had when the 357's first came out. 378's are having the same typical teething problems now, doors wont open/close, tcms throws its toys out of the pram and refuses to do anything, the PIS gets obscessed with certain stations and announces them over and over again or refuses to go anywhere other than clapham regardless of what route code you enter..... and the DOO cameras work occasionally.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 378 is so bright that in any photo it looks like it's been 'shopped' in.

I really want to see one in the flesh, but I guess I'll need some dark sunglasses first!

Do they keep them clean? They must look pretty good in the flesh.

Daimler

Established Member
The 378 is so bright that in any photo it looks like it's been 'shopped' in.

I really want to see one in the flesh, but I guess I'll need some dark sunglasses first!

Do they keep them clean? They must look pretty good in the flesh.

They are quite smart 8-), and (so far) look pretty clean - the livery, I think, is excellent.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are they being looked after by the, erm, local community? The Silverlink 313s weren't exactly well-treated.

I always wondered if there was truth in the theory that if you make something nice and clean, people will look after it. Either that or close up you can see the etching and signs of recently removed graffiti!

mackenzie_blu

I have to say I like the 377 (mainly the 5's), even tho they have caused me alot of grief. Its the design I like and actually think FCC's livery on the 5's is the best on an Electrostar (look at the white parts of SET/Southern).

Aictos

Established Member
I like the 377/5s on the Thameslink route but only because that route hasn't had any new stock for about 20 years or so.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder how much nicer the 377/5s would be with a FCC coloured interior... or should I say, NOT the horrid Southern colours!

Nice as any new train is, I have to say that I was disappointed with the build quality of the 375/5s - from sticking disabled toilet doors to poor fit of interior parts. Okay, so I am sad enough to look at things more than I should, but the trains really do seem to help further the argument that modern rolling stock will never last as long as the trains they replace.

Of course, cheap interior plastics aren't what makes a train keep running - so hopefully once all the many glitches are sorted, these trains will last 20-30-40 years with ease!

mackenzie_blu

I wonder how much nicer the 377/5s would be with a FCC coloured interior... or should I say, NOT the horrid Southern colours!

Nice as any new train is, I have to say that I was disappointed with the build quality of the 375/5s - from sticking disabled toilet doors to poor fit of interior parts. Okay, so I am sad enough to look at things more than I should, but the trains really do seem to help further the argument that modern rolling stock will never last as long as the trains they replace.

Of course, cheap interior plastics aren't what makes a train keep running - so hopefully once all the many glitches are sorted, these trains will last 20-30-40 years with ease!

The staff refer to them as the plastics.

The build quality is terrible. There has been fault after fault after fault and not all public. Some minor, some major. But we may end up with the newer verison tho I believe this is being dreaded.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Wow trains have changed since I travelled England and Scotland in the 1980's and 90's.

Cant vote as I have rarely been on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.