• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which station can you see the train coming from furthest away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
At the London end of Whittlesford Parkway there is a reverse curve, you can see down trains in the distance starting the curve, once they're on the curve you can't see them, then about 30 seconds later they arrive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
You can see a fair distance either way at Mills Hill.

I'd have thought you could see a fair distance from Snowdon summit. Whether any railways are in distant view is another matter.

OliverS

Three Bridges is pretty good. Essentially to Gatwick going north or to the end of the slows going south, which is a couple of miles away.

I always think that Manningtree is also good, but the real warning there is the sound of the up trains going over the river. That was a demonstration that light travels faster than sound from my youth. From M'tree itself you could see a train reach the bridge and then wait for the sound while counting the seconds. Much more reliable than lightning.

Gwenllian2001

From Swanbridge Halt, now sadly closed, it was possible to see trains on the Minehead Branch. Not only in a different county but in a different country.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thinking about it, you can see the train for ages before it arrives at Skegness as the approach is on a long straight, with the train slowing for the speed restrictions into the dead end platforms.

Batman

There's a few stations served by the Tyne and Wear Metro between Pelaw and Sunderland where you can see the train arriving at, or just after it leaves, the previous station:

If you stand on the platform at Wylde Green and look south, you can just about see the end of the platform at Chester Road.

hozza94

Tonbridge-Ashford:
Every time I wait for the train in Staplehurst I can see the train from Headcorn or even Pluckley....

T8KE0FF

Bromsgrove. I'm not sure how long the lickey incline is, but it's straight so you can see all the way up it. If you're waiting for a train to Worcester (coming from Birmingham) you can see it miles (I assume) away in the distance, depending on how good your eyesight is.

caliwag

Well, the stretch between Near Selby and Ferriby is reputed to be the longest straight (and flat it has to be said) stretch on 'our' network. There is a bend at about Wressle so I guess if you stood at Gilberdyke (formerly Staddlethorpe) you would see for ever...dont have the OS to hand...perhaps someone will confirm.

My favorite out of Uk (OK European Space Station notwithstanding...genius) would be standing on Soller station (Mallorca) and you see the train hundreds of feet up the mountain at a viewing point called Mirador Pujol de'n Banya. From there it drops down to Soller on a very winding and circuitous route.

The electric narrow gauge dates from 1912: full size locos with bits of English Electric control gear. Well worth a visit.:D

snail

Established Member
Never been, but can you see the viaduct from Kent's Bank? Looks like there's a direct line of sight on the map, an it's about 5km. Must make a trip there again some day - lovely ride from Lancaster.
Yes, probably. With a decent pair of binoculars you should be able to spot the train at Hest Bank crossing on the other side of the bay!

HullMichael

The longest straight stretch in the UK is of course the main line in East Yorkshire, 17 or 18 miles dead straight. So the stations on that stretch would be good candidates. I've stood on Broomfleet station looking west and the line disappears into distance as far as it's possible for the eye to see.

HH

Established Member
Surprised no-one has mentioned the GE Mainline. From Witham to Kelvedon for instance.

mirodo

If you're at Vauxhall waiting for a train to Waterloo, you can see your train approaching as it leaves Vauxhall to go round the loop and come back again.

Once you spot it, you know you've only got another 70 minutes or so for it to arrive.

:D

12CSVT

Established Member
At Starcross you can see trains that are eleven stations away :P

If you're at Vauxhall waiting for a train to Waterloo, you can see your train approaching as it leaves Vauxhall to go round the loop and come back again.

Once you spot it, you know you've only got another 70 minutes or so for it to arrive.

:D

Er, I don't think this is quite what the OP had in mind. :roll:

tsr

Established Member
Er, I don't think this is quite what the OP had in mind. :roll:

No, I shouldn't think so. The FCC loop really would be cheating - you may see your train go one way, but you can wait for an infinite amount of time for it to come back, as it's probably going to be cancelled en route or something. <D

DavidBrown

Exton - Lypmstone Commando :lol:

When the HST ran along the line last year, I boarded at Exton bound for Exeter. The funny thing was that when the front of the train pulled into Exton's platform, the rear power car was almost certaintly closer to Lympstone Commando's platform than Exton's!

The_Rail_WAy

Leyland (near Preston) has good visibility fom both directions, and is particuarly popular with photters and 'meeters'. A good location with a variety of traction (especially prior to 2003) passing at high speeds too.

Indeed I have one vivid recolection of a fairly old man launching a half eaten Hollands meat and tata pie at a passing delayed Virgin Voyager service - because it had delayed the following Steam excursion and he was going to miss the evening episode of 'Dads Army'. Must have been 8 years or so ago but i'l never forget that.

Shimbleshanks

In the days of the 'Thumpers' I could HEAR the train for a good 15 minutes as I wended my way back from the Red Lion at Snargate to Appledore station across the Romney Marsh. Convinced myself several times that I'd miss it, only to find a still arrive at the station a good few minutes before the train did.

CC 72100

Established Member
When the HST ran along the line last year, I boarded at Exton bound for Exeter. The funny thing was that when the front of the train pulled into Exton's platform, the rear power car was almost certaintly closer to Lympstone Commando's platform than Exton's!

When did the HST run on the Exmouth line last year and why? :)

DavidBrown

When did the HST run on the Exmouth line last year and why? :)

May 1st 2011 - the 150th anniversary of the line opening, so a special HST ran the route, with the added bonus of it being a regular service train to Paignton so anyone could board to any destination as you would normally. I was one of only two people to board at Exton - the other being a very confused kid!

Ivo

Established Member
The straight stretch west of Leigh-on-Sea means that trains can be seen just seconds after they leave Benfleet, which is roughly five minutes and four miles away. This is a rarity on a line as urban as the LTS (which admittedly passes through countryside at this point :roll:).

O L Leigh

Established Member
Has the WA mainline been mentioned yet...?

This route is dead straight all the way from Brimsdown station to Slipe Lane LC. I'm not sure of the mileage, but it's probably a good 5 miles. Being able to see from one end all the way to the other is dependent on the weather and atmospheric conditions, but it's certainly possible at certain times. However, from somewhere like Waltham Cross you can probably see more than two miles in both directions and see your train about 5 minutes before it is due to arrive.

O L Leigh

Ploughman

Established Member
The longest straight stretch in the UK is of course the main line in East Yorkshire, 17 or 18 miles dead straight. So the stations on that stretch would be good candidates. I've stood on Broomfleet station looking west and the line disappears into distance as far as it's possible for the eye to see.

The West bound view at Broomfleet is limited to approx 1600 metres due to the bridge over the river between Broomfleet and Gilberdyke.

Lampshade

Established Member
Mauldeth Road probably. The Styal Line is arrow-straight so you can see trains as far away as Gatley.

CC 72100

Established Member
May 1st 2011 - the 150th anniversary of the line opening, so a special HST ran the route, with the added bonus of it being a regular service train to Paignton so anyone could board to any destination as you would normally. I was one of only two people to board at Exton - the other being a very confused kid!

Haha brilliant! I bet he was, especially when there was no illuminated 'open door' button either, and you had to open the door with a handle! :o

ChristopherJ

It's possible to see almost 3 miles in the up direction from Leigh-on-Sea station towards Benfleet - it's directly straight across the Hadleigh marsh until the approach to Benfleet station.

Google Map; http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...;FVB3EgMdSsAJAA&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&t=m&z=13

2861040356_2b0119f532_z.jpg

The straight stretch west of Leigh-on-Sea means that trains can be seen just seconds after they leave Benfleet, which is roughly five minutes and four miles away. This is a rarity on a line as urban as the LTS (which admittedly passes through countryside at this point :roll:).

Sorry - didn't see you there, chap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.