• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does Pontefract have three stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
For a town with a population of 28,000 compared to the town where I live that has a similar population of 23,000, why does Pontefract have three stations and my town has none?!

My question is not so much regarding to the infrastructure at the two locations, more the reason that one town has been able to keep (and warrant) three operational stations while another of similar size has not managed to keep the only one it had!

The obvious direction for this thread is Dr. Beeching, but I was more interested in how three stations had managed to be retained and maintain decent passenger numbers within such close proximity in the modern era.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brompton rail

For a town with a population of 28,000 compared to the town where I live that has a similar population of 23,000, why does Pontefract have three stations and my town has none?!

My question is not so much regarding to the infrastructure at the two locations, more the reason that one town has been able to keep (and warrant) three operational stations while another of similar size has not managed to keep the only one it had!

The obvious direction for this thread is Dr. Beeching, but I was more interested in how three stations had managed to be retained and maintain decent passenger numbers within such close proximity in the modern era.

Two are on the same line - Wakefield to Knottingley - are at opposite ends of the town. Monkhill is also on the Leeds line ( via Castleford). Trains are hourly to each destination, though twice hourly to Knottingley.

Baghill only has two trains a day in each direction, off peak only Sheffield to York, and is even further from the town.

matchmaker

Established Member

Tyndrum (population 167) has two stations...

Veteran Member
Tanshelf closed under Beeching and reopened under WYPTE, and is better sited for the town centre than Monkhill. However, Monkhill remained open post Beeching with the revised Leeds-Goole service, and can hardly be closed now. Baghill used to be on the NE-SW main line and get Intercity calls, but its local service, while better than now, wasn't brilliant.

BTW, is the OPs town on a passenger railway?

Tanshelf closed under Beeching and reopened under WYPTE, and is better sited for the town centre than Monkhill. However, Monkhill remained open post Beeching with the revised Leeds-Goole service, and can hardly be closed now. Baghill used to be on the NE-SW main line and get Intercity calls, but its local service, while better than now, wasn't brilliant.

BTW, is the OPs town on a passenger railway?
It is a fair question though - it can seem as if whether you have a railway now was a lottery in the 1960s, with a huge impact on how we live as a result.

Established Member
Number of stations well its dependent to a large degree on the geography of both Town/City and railway as well as what survived under beeching.

Ideally a single central station is desirable with other smaller stations to serve different parts of larger cities/Towns, but such an option isn't realistic or practical in many cases.

Lincoln was rationalised in to one station, as was Leeds but to do that in such as Bradford would be difficult and expensive.

In the case of Pontefract well Tanshelf could only be reopened as a result of reintroducing services to Wakefield, and Monkhill is likely to be the busiest having the Leeds and London Service.

Baghill is token service, which it seems to me you either bin or improve such services.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To me it would make more sense for GC to serve the more centrally-located Tanshelf than Monkhill, but Monkhill does have connections to Leeds and Castleford, along with a car park.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Which urban area has the least stations per head of population?
Thorne has 2 on different lines.
Grimsby has 3 within town boundary on the same line.
Cromer has 2 and is small.
Ryde has a few. (Edited out Sandown as Lake is another town)
Edit: Sandown has two afterall.
It just looks like luck is why these places can have local rail journeys but larger places can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Which urban area has the least stations per head of population?

Probably a fair few areas with zero stations per head ;)

But if you mean most stations per head, and if 'urban area' is taken to mean something reasonably large, can many places beat London? I don't have time to check exact figures, but a quick google suggests something like 330 national rail or Overground stations, 270 underground stations, and 40 or so dlr stations. There'll be some double -counting in all that but even so we must be looking at around 500 or so stations between 8.6 million population. Maybe one station per 15-20K people? I'm sure someone else can work out more accurate figures.

I'm sure a fair few small towns like Pontefract that happen to have 2-3 stations will beat that, but how many large towns?

Last edited:

Mark62

Baghill used to a long distance cross country trains stop there, plus the summer Saturday specials before the station and line was deliberately run down to almost nothing. I also remember that the platforms were usually absolutely packed for these trains. People can't travel if there aren't any trains. Those people who packed the platforms didn't just go away. When the trains went they had to find alternatives. Progress?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I wonder what the reaction would be if you got on at Pontefract Baghill at 1010 and asked the guard for a day return to Pontefract Tanshelf?

Online journey planners give a journey time of 2 hours 36 minutes with changes at York, Leeds and Wakefield Kirkgate and brfares lists an Off Peak Day Return fare of £2.10!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wonder what the reaction would be if you got on at Pontefract Baghill at 1010 and asked the guard for a day return to Pontefract Tanshelf?

Online journey planners give a journey time of 2 hours 36 minutes with changes at York, Leeds and Wakefield Kirkgate and brfares lists an Off Peak Day Return fare of £2.10!

Surely if it's a published fare, the conductor would be obliged to sell you a ticket? Of course the only reason anyone would buy such a ticket would be to get to York or Leeds cheaper. Would the barrier staff at Leeds let them through, though?

DeeGee

Grimsby has 3 within town boundary on the same line.
It just looks like luck is why these places can have local rail journeys but larger places can't.

Are there really that many journeys made between New Clee and Grimsby Town? It's not that much cheaper than the bus, and the buses are a lot more regular. I wouldn't exactly describe it as an opportunity for local rail journeys.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Are there really that many journeys made between New Clee and Grimsby Town? It's not that much cheaper than the bus, and the buses are a lot more regular. I wouldn't exactly describe it as an opportunity for local rail journeys.

No, not many use it at all, sometimes I see others there but other times I don't. And it costs £1.50 to Grimsby Town station I'm not sure of the bus price but it's either £1 or £1.50 between those two stations, so it's not cheaper.
It's most useful for trips to places not on a direct bus route like Habrough, Ulceby, Goxhill and New Holland. The station will get lighting in the future I'm told, that will make commuter use possible.
The reason I use it is the season ticket with plusbus was good value.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A much better question is why Maidstone has three stations.

One line built by the South Eastern railway (Maidstone West) and the other built by the competing London Chatham and Dover Railway and its subsidiaries (Maidstone East). Barracks was designed later to be an easier interchange with East (and presumably to serve a Barracks).

CalderRail

One line built by the South Eastern railway (Maidstone West) and the other built by the competing London Chatham and Dover Railway and its subsidiaries (Maidstone East). Barracks was designed later to be an easier interchange with East (and presumably to serve a Barracks).

All of which is historical. There's literally no reason for all three to remain open now. Maidstone Barracks wasn't ever anywhere near an actual barracks, IIRC - it was just open to keep the troops away from civilians.

The sensible thing to do would be to move all rail provision in Maidstone to a single station, situated just north of the current Maidstone Barracks station where the line from Maidstone East crosses over the track.

This would allow you to have a single station with High Level & Low Level platforms, with the high level platforms on the embankment just east of the rail bridge and the platforms accessible from Buckland Hill Bridge, Waterside Gate & the existing Bridge towards Maidstone East.

You'd have to shift a couple of crossovers, but the cost saving of rationalising to 1 station (not to mention selling off the sites of Maidstone East & Maidstone West) would pay for itself in short order, with zero trains affected.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Maidstone rationalisation?
What journeys need an interchange between Barracks and East?
What sort of journeys would a single station interchange facilitate?
Medway Towns-Ashford/Folkestone (prob. quicker via Ebbsfleet, alternative route via Paddock Wood); Gravesend-Ashford/Folkestone (ditto); Dartford area-Ashford. Anything else?

Seems like a lot of expense for a less centrally-located station that would provide a marginal improvement (10-15 mins? it's 8 mins walk on Google maps) in interchange times.

Oxfordblues

A lot of towns and cities had several stations built by competing companies because there was no national strategic plan. In other countries such as Germany there was usually one central Hauptbahnhof in each city thanks to proper central planning.

In Preston, Lancashire, for example, there was originally a myriad of stations:
Fishergate (top) for the North Union Railway
Butler Street for the East Lancashire Railway
Deepdale for the Longridge line
Maudland (1) for Lancaster
Maudland (2) for Fleetwood
Fishergate (bottom) for Southport

Passenger had to walk across town to make through journeys. Then someone came up with a cunning plan: join all the lines up and build one interchange facility in the middle (as an enlargement of the North Union terminus). Thus Preston is now served by a single convenient facility.

By the time the railways reached Carlisle the lesson had been learnt and Citadel Station was built to serve all the radiating lines.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maidstone rationalisation?
What journeys need an interchange between Barracks and East?
What sort of journeys would a single station interchange facilitate?
Medway Towns-Ashford/Folkestone (prob. quicker via Ebbsfleet, alternative route via Paddock Wood); Gravesend-Ashford/Folkestone (ditto); Dartford area-Ashford. Anything else?

Seems like a lot of expense for a less centrally-located station that would provide a marginal improvement (10-15 mins? it's 8 mins walk on Google maps) in interchange times.

Quite. For me, the key factor is that Maidstone East (which is the one I've had most cause to Use) is actually pretty handy for the town centre, whereas where the routes cross isn't. Wakefield suffers from a similar situation.

A0wen

On Moderation
Milton Keynes technically has 5 stations:

Wolverton, MKC, Bletchley, Fenny Stratford and Bow Brickhill.

And if EWR proposed one at Newton Longueville - that would probably be inside MK's boundary - therefore making 6.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Getting back to Pontefract, I was on one of the two trains a day via Pontefract Baghill yesterday (the southbound afternoon train from York).
Grand total of 7 people, including a pushchair occupant, got off at Pontefract, and 2 people got on. I've seen double figures getting on northbound in the morning in the past, so there must be a few Pontefractians (? Pontefractions?) who use it for a quick trip to York shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.