• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't people carry cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
This morning was interesting as someone sat near me got hit with a UPFN as their card was declined and apparently had no cash to pay for the £3.00 ticket.

It may just be me but I would always ensure I had £5 - £20 on me in case of situations like this!

A situation I can imagine in my head is 'I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, my card is getting declined, how do I pay for the bus to town to visit my bank or top up my mobile phone to ring my bank?'

Now the passenger has to go through the hassle of dealing with the UPFN. It did seem a genuine error rather than a fare dodger before anyone suggests that as the answer! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The problem I find with cash is that if I have it on me I have an unfortunate tendancy to spend it !

pemma

Veteran Member
I normally carry £10-£20 in cash but put any transaction over a few pounds on a card where possible.

However, if you only made sure you had £5 then I suppose if your card got declined twice in the same day and you didn't go to the cash point between the 2 instances then you could easily find yourself with no cash the second time.

scarby

New generation brought up with "cashless society" (well not just the younger generation, many older people have also embraced it).

In my experience it hasn't got a complete stranglehold in the UK - yet - but in some European countries it's become acceptable to just use a card for anything and everything, and absolutely all retailers are expected to cater for this.

fowler9

Established Member
I prefer cash myself. Less faffing around, except when you get stuck behind the person at the cash point who spends that long you start to wonder if they are reprogramming it.

Lrd

Established Member
I do tend to always have cash on me and use it to pay for most things but will pay on card for things over roughly £20. If I were to have a contactless card then I'm sure I would use less cash.

Tracky

I use cash for any and all payments up to around £100.

I am very unusual...

richw

Veteran Member
I haven't had any cash for probably 4 weeks since I last used it up I have had no reason to get any more!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
It's card where I can for me, less faffing around with card IMO, except when the card is declined due to an error with the machine.

fowler9

Established Member
It's card where I can for me, less faffing around with card IMO, except when the card is declined due to an error with the machine.

Ha ha, I guess its all personal preference. I always seem to find card payments take longer. Well it normally seems to take the person in front of me in the queue longer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Paying all purchases with card is fair enough, but not having direct access to any emergency funds (ie. in your wallet) is plain stupidity imo.

Before anyone says it, there may not be a cashpoint nearby where you can conveniently get access to the so-called emergency cash as the banks put it.

Liam

Established Member
Try to use cash where I can, I can keep track of it better. I even bought a £12,500 car in cash :lol:.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Paying all purchases with card is fair enough, but not having direct access to any emergency funds (ie. in your wallet) is plain stupidity imo.

Before anyone says it, there may not be a cashpoint nearby where you can conveniently get access to the so-called emergency cash as the banks put it.

A fiver is always in my wallet, I would never go anywhere without some cash . That fiver's been in my wallet for about 4 years :roll:.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Pretty pathetic when some city-ite at the local chip shop near the station offered plastic for his tray of chips and coleslaw (!) and got shirty when it was not accepted. I could have bought it for him - but thought his attitude was "undeserving" - £2 or so.

I enjoyed my cash paid late supper after a work meeting .....

RJ

Established Member
I have Rail Travel Vouchers and National Transport Tokens sitting in my bag for any such emergencies.

OuterDistant

My mum was an estate agent when I was in my early teens and whenever she talked about a "cash buyer", I had visions of someone turning up at their branch with a wheelbarrow full of tenners!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have Rail Travel Vouchers and National Transport Tokens sitting in my bag for any such emergencies.

I would like to see the shopkeeper's face at the local newsagent when you hand him an RTV and tell him to keep the change. :D

Qwerty133

Established Member
Pretty pathetic when some city-ite at the local chip shop near the station offered plastic for his tray of chips and coleslaw (!) and got shirty when it was not accepted. I could have bought it for him - but thought his attitude was "undeserving" - £2 or so.

I enjoyed my cash paid late supper after a work meeting .....

My sister has bought a Freddo on card before at our local Tesco.
A branch of Mcdonalds in Liverpool has loads of self serve machines that only take card.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I pay by card wherever I can*, unless I'm in a major hurry.
I carry some emergency funds (banknotes), but spend any coinage change ASAP at a Tesco self service till as part payment, then pay the balance by card.

Cash always ends up with coinage which is cumbersome to carry. Cards mean airmiles, itemised bank statements, being more likely to get a receipt, building up a credit report, as well as the safety of not carrying cash around. The airmiles make it worth paying for other peoples' purchases and getting the cash off them :)

The downside of course is its way too easy to spend on a card.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have a £5 note folded into my train pass wallet for if the need arises for any reason. At the end of the year I usually end up cracking it open for food, though this year I had to do this prematurely in order to buy a poppy.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I have a £5 note folded into my train pass wallet for if the need arises for any reason. At the end of the year I usually end up cracking it open for food, though this year I had to do this prematurely in order to buy a poppy.

:shock: Fiver for a poppy!?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always carry a small amount of notes and coins in my wallet but the majority of my transactions are made on card, because I get reward points or cashback, so it works out cheaper than paying with cash.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I always try and carry some cash, and some coins, but invariably I'll spend one or the other and then end up with only my cards.

I am certainly concerned that this leaves me open to problems if I can't use my card, but it still happens!

chris89

Established Member
Always got cash on me, lowest normally about £5. Always got change as my bus gets incredibly fussy over any note. (£5,10) Never would try with a £20

Just find it easier to use on stuff less then £40 etc.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.