• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why white/silver liveries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L+Y

Just a quick and simple question: what (if anything) is behind the roll out on seemingly the majority of TOCs of primarily white/silver liveries?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
I'm hoping the 700 livery is brightened up before too long

The main answer is obvious: neutrality

the government is after a move away from corporate identities that are tied to a franchise holder's name and hard to eliminate come inevitable change

so yes Northern, Thameslink and Great Northern, Greater Anglia and C2C all employ white or grey liveries. Thankfully Southeastern is moving away from white on their 375s!

Wivenswold

Established Member
GA's looks very smart with the addition of dark grey whereas TL/GN/C2C isn't really a livery, just some painted doors and a logo.

TheEscapist_

White just doesn't work unless it's cleaned a lot. Check VTEC HSTs the doors are horrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lrd

Established Member
White just doesn't work unless it's cleaned a lot. Check VTEC HSTs the doors are horrid.
Same for the Class 444s. Not sure if they've been cleaned/repainted recently but they were pretty grimy, especially near the roof.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Same for the Class 444s. Not sure if they've been cleaned/repainted recently but they were pretty grimy, especially near the roof.

To be fair to the 444s they have not been repainted in over 10 years.

Established Member
Easy to vinyl into something else?

I think it's this reason, because it will be a lot cheaper for future franchise operators to repaint the fleet into their own livery. I still think base white/grey liveries can be smart, but only if there's a decent amount of other colours to break it up. Northern's is pretty good, but Thameslink's very bland livery doesn't do anything for me at all unfortunately. Greater Anglia's isn't too bad, but it's not great, in my view.

The only exceptions to having a base white/grey livery at the moment seem to be GWR (green), Merseyrail (primarily yellow) and ScotRail (blue). It'll be interesting to see what happens with future franchises though, that's for sure. Personally, I'm all for having permanent brands and liveries as it'll be much cheaper and also very little will need changing when a franchise changes operators.

najaB

Veteran Member
Just a quick and simple question: what (if anything) is behind the roll out on seemingly the majority of TOCs of primarily white/silver liveries?
For exactly the same reason that airlines are all tending to 'Eurowhite' with a splash of colour - it's easier to place the asset with a new lease if it doesn't have to be completely repainted.

Mikey C

Established Member
For exactly the same reason that airlines are all tending to 'Eurowhite' with a splash of colour - it's easier to place the asset with a new lease if it doesn't have to be completely repainted.

Isn't white popular as it reflects the sun more?

Taking BA, AF and LH for example, the vast majority of their fleets will serve its full life with the airline

Mikey C

Established Member
The only exceptions to having a base white/grey livery at the moment seem to be GWR (green), Merseyrail (primarily yellow) and ScotRail (blue). It'll be interesting to see what happens with future franchises though, that's for sure. Personally, I'm all for having permanent brands and liveries as it'll be much cheaper and also very little will need changing when a franchise changes operators.

The Southern and London Midland liveries are fairly "non white" as well, while the Southeastern High Speed (and new general) livery is blue

Established Member
The Southern and London Midland liveries are fairly "non white" as well, while the Southeastern High Speed (and new general) livery is blue

I was more speaking in terms of recently renewed franchises (I should have made that clearer), although Merseyrail (last renewed in 2003) is an exception to this however because it's always had a predominantly yellow livery for some time now, and I don't think that will be changing.

najaB

Veteran Member
Isn't white popular as it reflects the sun more?

Taking BA, AF and LH for example, the vast majority of their fleets will serve its full life with the airline
While the thermal effect is a factor, it's mainly about leases on aircraft.

AF's livery has been mostly white for a long time. BA's has progressively lost white and gained blue. Lufthansa replaced bare metal with grey over the years.

59CosG95

Established Member
The Virgin Pendolino/Voyager fleet have a lot of silver on them too, and that part (not so much the red) picks up dirt quite a lot. I do wonder what the fleet will be repainted in come the new Widnes Alstom plant opening.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Virgin Pendolino/Voyager fleet have a lot of silver on them too, and that part (not so much the red) picks up dirt quite a lot. I do wonder what the fleet will be repainted in come the new Widnes Alstom plant opening.

You mean, presumably, the next franchise? I can't see VTWC repainting them in anything now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very true, I forgot about those ones somehow. It'll be interesting to see if Southern goes the same way as Thameslink, though.

Southern green is of course white-based.

As for Northern, I still don't like it. White looks terrible with no window band. The 156 looks less awful than the 150, but only just. Add a charcoal or dark blue window band and it'll work.

BMIFlyer

You mean, presumably, the next franchise? I can't see VTWC repainting them in anything now.

The entire 390 fleet is actually due a repaint as part of the recurring maintenance program. They will be redone in the current colour scheme.

A little bird tells me that the next franchise has to design a new livery (as the DFT moves away from corporate liveries of the owner) and this will be vinyl applied in due course, like what TPE and Scotrail have done.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The entire 390 fleet is actually due a repaint as part of the recurring maintenance program. They will be redone in the current colour scheme.

A little bird tells me that the next franchise has to design a new livery (as the DFT moves away from corporate liveries of the owner) and this will be vinyl applied in due course, like what TPE and Scotrail have done.

I really don't get why this is being done (sensible though it is) by franchise, ScotRail aside, and there isn't a national InterCity and Regional livery being used instead, with smaller "operated by X" decals like with ScotRail.

hotelmode

While the thermal effect is a factor, it's mainly about leases on aircraft.

AF's livery has been mostly white for a long time. BA's has progressively lost white and gained blue. Lufthansa replaced bare metal with grey over the years.

It really isn't about leases. BAs aircraft (and I assume the other majors) are mostly mortgaged not leased so it's not even a factor. That's why they are generally kept until retirement.

No gain in blue either, it's the same basic livery since Utopia in the late 90s.

BMIFlyer

It would be a nice idea what you suggest, but then in an ideal world you'd need all the trains with the same branding on the exterior to have the same interior decor etc.

It's not going to happen. Scotrail is easy, as it's one giant operation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It would be a nice idea what you suggest, but then in an ideal world you'd need all the trains with the same branding on the exterior to have the same interior decor etc.

Would you?

London buses all have standard exterior liveries but differing interiors based on operator. Indeed, the interior is just about the only way they can put their stamp on it.

Mikey C

Established Member
Would you?

London buses all have standard exterior liveries but differing interiors based on operator. Indeed, the interior is just about the only way they can put their stamp on it.

Even there, there are moves towards standardisation

The Borismasters are all identical inside, and I believe the Enviro 400City has the same TfL Borismaster seat moquette

Status
Not open for further replies.