• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you be eating out to help out?

Will you be eating out to help out?

• YES - I will be eating out more often due to the scheme

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • YES - I will be eating out as much as usual, but taking advantage of the scheme

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • NO - I think it's too dangerous to eat out at the moment

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • NO - I do not normally eat out and this scheme won't encourage me

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I will be eating out but avoiding the scheme as it will make places too busy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Don't know / undecided

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • NO - I'd like to eat out, but won't while the Covid Secure measures are in place

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
See they are now recommending that masks are worn, and just removed to actually eat the meal, sort of puts a dampner on it a bit, although I assume that will be widely ignored :) I suppose that is in response to those that have said you have to wear a mask here there and everywhere, but have a meal or go to a pub, then not required.

Who's recommending that, sorry?

I do think we will end up there, though, as it's the simplest way to have it - "A mask must be worn in all indoor public places (defined as any place where the legal smoking ban applies) except for <medical exceptions etc> and when the wearer needs to remove it in order to eat or drink".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
I think 'they' were the Government bods, being interviewed, and when the question of masks in shops against pubs etc, the answer was, ideally wear them until you need to remove them, which I assume was a get out from the 'when must you / when do you not have to' question

Bantamzen

Established Member
Who's recommending that, sorry?

I do think we will end up there, though, as it's the simplest way to have it - "A mask must be worn in all indoor public places (defined as any place where the legal smoking ban applies) except for <medical exceptions etc> and when the wearer needs to remove it in order to eat or drink".

And it would be the daftest idea to date. I don't know about anyone else, but in a pub or restaurant I regularly take sips of my drink, and tend to take my time over eating to actually enjoy the experience. So based in this theory I'd be removing any covering dozens if not hundreds of times during my stay, which is dozens if not hundreds of times more than is recommended without washing hands between each one.

Spineynorman

Anyone been to any restaurants tonight? Quieter than a normal Thursday?
Yes I went to a Turkish restaurant yesterday evening (Thursday) precisely because it was not an "offer" night and not the weekend and it was quieter I suspect although by no means empty. I am also picking places that I know have layouts that lend themselves to reasonable distancing and are less busy from experience so we can feel a bit more comfortable and forget about the worries of the world for an hour or two. The owner has reduced the number of staff until numbers pick up sufficiently but otherwise it was a pretty normal experience. Hand sanitiser on the way in, staff in masks (except one) and tables a reasonable distance apart (but then they always were there). Most people who would be nervous of eating out would probably feel reasonably safe I suspect. To get there we passed a Bistrot Pierre (other French cafes are available !) which looked quieter again but also a pub with outside tables which was pretty busy outside, probably because decent weather has returned. I suspect Thursday may be a night of choice for now.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm usually pretty neutral on the issue of masks, and believe that the government guidance should be followed. However, I must draw the line somewhere, so to speak.

If the government are really going to dictate that I should have a meal out - which is supposed to be a social occasion - where I should wear a mask while also attempting to converse with others and sip from my drink, before taking it off, wolfing down my meal in a few minutes, and putting it back on to pay then I think I will just avoid eating out..

A Challenge

Established Member
I went to a Beefeater for breakfast yesterday morning (was unfortunate that it couldn't be on Eat Out to Help Out, I think they should have included Thursday), and apart from them not having my reservation (which wasn't a problem as there were few other people in there), it didn't seem too bad, though despite the rest of breakfast being brought to us (including the main cooked breakfast, which is ordered normally anyway), we still did our own toast (which seems odd, given it requires everyone to touch the toaster, whereas picking up a pot of jam is easy enough without touching another, if not guarenteed).

bramling

Veteran Member

Picked up a takeaway from my regular Indian earlier this evening. They were rather negative about the eat out scheme, and the reason was self-evident.

They said that they were absolutely rammed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and have been virtually empty since. In fact what seems to have happened is people who would normally come at the weekend moved to the discount nights, and their regular clientele base for those nights has essentially had to be turned away.

The owner made a rather pointed comment that as a successful viable business he doesn’t need gimmicks - indeed they only participated in the scheme because they felt pressured into doing so, and feel that it’s probably had a negative effect on business for them, and takeaway business is down compared to recent weeks too.

DB

Picked up a takeaway from my regular Indian earlier this evening. They were rather negative about the eat out scheme, and the reason was self-evident.

They said that they were absolutely rammed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and have been virtually empty since. In fact what seems to have happened is people who would normally come at the weekend moved to the discount nights, and their regular clientele base for those nights has essentially had to be turned away.

The owner made a rather pointed comment that as a successful viable business he doesn’t need gimmicks - indeed they only participated in the scheme because they felt pressured into doing so, and feel that it’s probably had a negative effect on business for them, and takeaway business is down compared to recent weeks too.

None of that surprises me at all. Typical government gimmick with no thought as to what would actually happen in practice (and which could reasonably have been predicted).

bramling

Veteran Member
None of that surprises me at all. Typical government gimmick with no thought as to what would actually happen in practice (and which could reasonably have been predicted).

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion there’s a rather nefarious agenda going on, namely Sunak wants to be Mr Popular, in order to build himself a viable brand image as a Boris replacement. What seems to be happening as a result is we’re seeing populist measures which aren’t what the country as a whole actually needs.

Tom B

Established Member
What your Indian restaurateur is complaining about is precisely the way I'm approaching it, I'm afraid. I live alone, and colleagues/friends with whom I would usually go out for lunch/tea with are of a flexible nature (for instance, we usually go to the local carvery mid-week, rather than Sunday when every man and his dog piles in just because... it's Sunday?). Hence I'm eating out at the front end of the week, and thus *not* doing so at the weekend, or having a takeaway.

Journeyman

Established Member
I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion there’s a rather nefarious agenda going on, namely Sunak wants to be Mr Popular, in order to build himself a viable brand image as a Boris replacement. What seems to be happening as a result is we’re seeing populist measures which aren’t what the country as a whole actually needs.

Absolutely - he's the man splashing the cash around.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

To be fair, businesses with a takeaway element probably aren't so much at risk as others to start off with. And in reality if you're used to a busy period on Friday to Saturday, I don't see how temporarily transferring this to Mon-Wed is that much of a big deal.

I'm inclined to think that this is a way to make it easier for the British public to support local business, and I applaud it.

Djgr

Established Member
To be fair, businesses with a takeaway element probably aren't so much at risk as others to start off with. And in reality if you're used to a busy period on Friday to Saturday, I don't see how temporarily transferring this to Mon-Wed is that much of a big deal.

I'm inclined to think that this is a way to make it easier for the British public to support local business, and I applaud it.

And it's also a great way to coax out the doomsters who are still hiding under their beds.

Scrotnig

And it's also a great way to coax out the doomsters who are still hiding under their beds.
Stopping their free money / big long paid holiday might also help with that.

On a positive note, the three 'Spoons round near me have now reopened. I'd probably be tempted to give them a go for a meal, as I used to be a big 'Spoons fan, except that after Tim Martin's recent behaviour I won't go near.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
We went to a locally run and owned Italian in French Row , St Albans. Outstanding on a warm evening and as good as being in Italy.

The area is part pedestrian and appeared as a good replica of abroad. Very normal and busy and friendly - and we upped our game from Pizza Express to a more expensive but outstanding menu. £60 for 4 with the discount.

Jamiescott1

First meal in the uk since March (have had 17 days abroad eating out).
Partner wanted to go to burger and lobster.
It was packed and not my favourite restaurant as its a bit too hipster and try hard.
I dont know if it was busy due to eat out to help out or because people eat there to post on social media rather than the price or food

takno

Established Member
Second example today where we've headed somewhere and they've turned out not to be doing the offer. No great issue since we were happy to pay full price anyway, but they are apparently listed on the website without their consent, and have had a few folk who came in especially. Hopefully it's not putting people in awkward positions

johnnychips

Established Member
What does the restaurateur have to do? Tally his receipts for Monday to Wednesday, work out how much he or she is owed then put a claim in somewhere?

Iskra

Established Member
We went to a locally run and owned Italian in French Row , St Albans. Outstanding on a warm evening and as good as being in Italy.

The area is part pedestrian and appeared as a good replica of abroad. Very normal and busy and friendly - and we upped our game from Pizza Express to a more expensive but outstanding menu. £60 for 4 with the discount.

I had a similar experience at an Italian in Wakefield this evening. The Centre was all very busy and the restaurants were all doing a roaring trade. Takeaways however, were all extremely quiet.

I'm going out for more food in Barnsley tomorrow evening :)

Morrisons cafe in Skipton at lunch couldn't cope, however. It was very cheap but after waiting for 40 minutes for the food to arrive (2 fairly simple meals) we had to leave to catch our train before the food was ready. They did do me a refund but were unapologetic and abrupt about it. If they'd have warned me it was going to take a while I wouldn't have gone in there, but you don't expect to wait 40 minutes for a fry-up in a half-empty cafe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is £10 off really going to coax out people who are allegedly terrified?
It's more complicated than that: it's about normalising going out; those who are a bit afraid see everyone else going out and may join them. Those who are terrified may take longer to be tempted out of their homes.

takno

Established Member
What does the restaurateur have to do? Tally his receipts for Monday to Wednesday, work out how much he or she is owed then put a claim in somewhere?
Apply for the scheme. Train the staff to answer questions. Train the staff up to figure out the correct discount (or get the till reprogrammed assuming that the oppo that handles that isn't furloughed), give the staff permissions to hand out those kinds of discounts, pay their book-keeper to get an accurate figure, submit the figure to HMRC, and then sit on their hands watching their existing cashflow issues worste while they wait for half the cost of the meal to get paid a few weeks later, whilst hoping that nobody decides to delay the payment in some kind of audit.

It's a potentially very useful scheme, but it's not without its costs and risks, and the smaller the company you are, the harder those costs and risks are to manage.

bramling

Veteran Member
First meal in the uk since March (have had 17 days abroad eating out).
Partner wanted to go to burger and lobster.
It was packed and not my favourite restaurant as its a bit too hipster and try hard.
I dont know if it was busy due to eat out to help out or because people eat there to post on social media rather than the price or food

I suspect it will have been busy because of the combination of the discount and the weather. North London was very busy this evening, I’ve just had the worst weekday drive home from work for many years, and last week was the same. Absolutely crazy for a Tuesday night. No wonder people don’t want to return to work...

bramling

Veteran Member
It's more complicated than that: it's about normalising going out; those who are a bit afraid see everyone else going out and may join them. Those who are terrified may take longer to be tempted out of their homes.

Does Sunak not realise that quite a few people have been going out for ages? The people in the restaurants will no doubt be the same ones who have lined the beaches and parks right through this. In other words they’d have probably dined out anyway without needing millions in taxpayer funds to allegedly entice them.

I just can’t reconcile thatpeople who are (allegedly) too scared to go to Tesco’s without the rest of the population wearing masks and (allegedly) too scared to be on a train if there’s someone not wearing a mask within sight, are suddenly going to be flocking to restaurants just to save a tenner.

Perhaps I’m getting more cynical in my advancing years, however it seems like flawed logic to me.

Personally the last thing which would encourage me to dine out were I bothered about Covid would be the prospect of a full-to-capacity restaurant. I’d be more wanting to pick a traditionally quiet time (which these nights normally would be) and hope the place was no busier than normal.

I’m still inclined with the notion that the whole thing is more a popularity boosting measure for Sunak.

DB

Does Sunak not realise that quite a few people have been going out for ages? The people in the restaurants will no doubt be the same ones who have lined the beaches and parks right through this. In other words they’d have probably dined out anyway without needing millions in taxpayer funds to allegedly entice them.

I just can’t reconcile thatpeople who are (allegedly) too scared to go to Tesco’s without the rest of the population wearing masks and (allegedly) too scared to be on a train if there’s someone not wearing a mask within sight, are suddenly going to be flocking to restaurants just to save a tenner.

Perhaps I’m getting more cynical in my advancing years, however it seems like flawed logic to me.

Personally the last thing which would encourage me to dine out were I bothered about Covid would be the prospect of a full-to-capacity restaurant. I’d be more wanting to pick a traditionally quiet time (which these nights normally would be) and hope the place was no busier than normal.

I’m still inclined with the notion that the whole thing is more a popularity boosting measure for Sunak.

It's another of those 'be seen to be doing something' tactics. And probably intended to make Sunak look competent - but when the comparison is with Johnson and Hancock most people would look good in relative terms...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does Sunak not realise that quite a few people have been going out for ages?
Many people have, but a significant number have not.

Attendance at our forum events (including informal evening meals) is well down compared to normal.

There is a huge pressure from the "stay home" brigade which caused many people to delay going out, but as more and more people see their friends going out, slowly but surely people are being persuaded.

DB

Many people have, but a significant number have not.

Attendance at our forum events (including informal evening meals) is well down compared to normal.

There is a huge pressure from the "stay home" brigade which caused many people to delay going out, but as more and more people see their friends going out, slowly but surely people are being persuaded.

I wonder how many people are put off by the sheer hassle of it all? Silly procedures to 'keep everyone safe', one way systens, collecting details. I appreciate not all places are going too far, but I just can't be bothered to trawl round and see who is doing what.

Status
Not open for further replies.