• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Window Hanging ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Despite the above-mentioned dangers, there are an awful lot of clips taken from leaning out of the window knocking about on Youtube, etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
I do it quite a lot, but usually on the 6 foot side because I enjoy looking at the Infastructure. However, I will stop once you reach that speed, around 70ish, when you can no longer breathe! I like to think that I do it as safely as I can:

I will always wait for the next train to pass when out on the main, thus knowing I will have the longest time. And when going around blind corners I will move inwards slightly and listen for the rails to ring, warning of an approaching train.

I would do it on the non-business side, but as sprinterguy says, there are too many obsticals to avoid.

I do however think that the people that properly lean right out are foolish, I personally try to keep tucked away at all times.

An excellent post!

Established Member
I've done it at on the right hand side between Northallerton and York, AT SPEED! (105-120 at a guess) I open the window fully, have a peek first (so I can dive back in if a train is coming), then lean out (glasses off, but can see without them anyway). My eyes were certainly watering afterwards. Normally do it pulling into Wakefield as well.

That is most certainly RISKY to say the least !!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A pointless thread posted in an attempt to up the post count?

It is stupid but we have all done it at one time or another. The little chavs seem to like doing it and think they are safe. Oh well...................

Established Member
A pointless thread posted in an attempt to up the post count?

It is stupid but we have all done it at one time or another. The little chavs seem to like doing it and think they are safe. Oh well...................

If thats what you think then so be it but it is not a pointless thread in an attempt to up post count as i am not bothered about my post count it was posted after an experience this morning and i was just wondering what other peoples opinions were! And that is a potentially offensive comment at the end there!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If thats what you think then so be it but it is not a pointless thread in an attempt to up post count as i am not bothered about my post count it was posted after an experience this morning and i was just wondering what other peoples opinions were! And that is a potentially offensive comment at the end there!

sorry - grumpiness has take over. It is stupid and dangerous. We have all done it. We shouldnt do it.

Established Member
sorry - grumpiness has take over. It is stupid and dangerous. We have all done it. We shouldnt do it.

Its ok mate like i said i only do it coming into or departing stations when you have to to open the doors anyway
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Offensive to who? The berks who take part in such idiotic, embarrassing behaviour?

I see where your coming from where people do it towards the running line at high speed but not when its at low speed arriving or departing a platform

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I see where your coming from where people do it towards the running line at high speed but not when its at low speed arriving or departing a platform

As I've said anything above walking pace is in my eyes stupid, as theblackwatch has demonstrated no matter how confident you think you are that you're safe doing it it can always go wrong, whether you end up decapitated or with something striking your face / eyes.

Established Member
As I've said anything above walking pace is in my eyes stupid, as theblackwatch has demonstrated no matter how confident you think you are that you're safe doing it it can always go wrong, whether you end up decapitated or with something striking your face / eyes.

Again i understand your point

Rich_D3167

What annoys me is the type of people who will stand next to a droplight for the trip, & very rarely (if at all) move away from it. I was on a tour last month from Cleethorpes to Morpeth with 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" at the head. Me & a couple of friends were sat right at the front of the second coach from the loco (first coach being the support coach) & for the entire trip until the return at York (where 70013 was swapped for 47580), one bloke stood at the droplight window for the entire trip. I'm sorry, if I pay 77 pounds for a Standard Class ticket on a railtour, I expect a seat, not to stand! What was funny though was that the man was wearing safety goggles, & after the trip his face was black as the ace of spades except for his eyes where the goggles had covered them, aka panda eyes!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Despite the above-mentioned dangers, there are an awful lot of clips taken from leaning out of the window knocking about on Youtube, etc.

It is very easy to hold a small video camera with the lens just far enough out the droplight to ensure a clear view. If mounted on a monopod sideways the rig projects only an inch or two and no part of the operator is out the train. The LCD can be tilted at a suitable angle for monitoring rather than using the viewfinder.
Needs a great deal of care and constant vigilance when the camera is (half) out the window but I prefer doing this (at low speed obviously) to sticking any part of my anatomy out of the train. The built in mic needs bypassed (and preferably taped over as well) but that is another story.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
The problem with this thread is that it's degenerated (as was to be expected) into people minding other people's business. There is of course a small risk (very, very small, but still there), but risk management is an individual business, or at least should be: the growth to the level of an industry of managing other people's private space is one of the more regrettable (arguably the most regrettable) development over the last generation from a liberal POV (and this is historically a very liberal and free country). Risk is present in all activities and adults should be trusted to judge it for themselves. If an individual doesn't want to lean out of the window because they consider it dangerous, fine. I consider free fall parachuting dangerous and as a result don't do it. I don't describe people who do do it as 'idiots' though; it's their choice. Nor do I pressurise people who don't want to lean out of the window to do so. It's about living and letting live.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Videoing is worse because you become fixated on the viewfinder and loose spatial awareness. There was a guy killed videoing low approaches at St Barts* who got too close and a wheel took his head off.

*St Barts is much smaller and tighter then the more famous Maho Beach in St Maarten

sprinterguy

Established Member
What annoys me is the type of people who will stand next to a droplight for the trip, & very rarely (if at all) move away from it. I was on a tour last month from Cleethorpes to Morpeth with 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" at the head. Me & a couple of friends were sat right at the front of the second coach from the loco (first coach being the support coach) & for the entire trip until the return at York (where 70013 was swapped for 47580), one bloke stood at the droplight window for the entire trip. I'm sorry, if I pay 77 pounds for a Standard Class ticket on a railtour, I expect a seat, not to stand! What was funny though was that the man was wearing safety goggles, & after the trip his face was black as the ace of spades except for his eyes where the goggles had covered them, aka panda eyes!
And some people feel that they've more got their moneys worth on a tour if they're stood by a droplight watching the performance of the loco throughout the trip. It varies for me whether I'll be standing up or sitting down, depending on the company I'm keeping and how many bottles of ale I have to get through :D Each to their own, and I can't work out how someone getting on with their life and standing looking out of a droplight annoys you if you were content sitting in your seat anyway?

Established Member
The problem with this thread is that it's degenerated (as was to be expected) into people minding other people's business. There is of course a small risk (very, very small, but still there), but risk management is an individual business, or at least should be: the growth to the level of an industry of managing other people's private space is one of the more regrettable (arguably the most regrettable) development over the last generation from a liberal POV (and this is historically a very liberal and free country). Risk is present in all activities and adults should be trusted to judge it for themselves. If an individual doesn't want to lean out of the window because they consider it dangerous, fine. I consider free fall parachuting dangerous and as a result don't do it. I don't describe people who do do it as 'idiots' though; it's their choice. Nor do I pressurise people who don't want to lean out of the window to do so. It's about living and letting live.

I Agree completely!! as long as you apply common sense then you should be fine (unlike the couple mentioned earlier on in the thread)

LE Greys

Established Member
I Agree completely!! as long as you apply common sense then you should be fine (unlike the couple mentioned earlier on in the thread)

As do I. I'll admit I've done it, and at 125 mph while passing my subject which was doing 75 mph, but I do my best to be careful and make sure I'm ready to duck back in at a second's notice. I also know that I shouldn't really do it, especially at speed. Still, there are far more dangerous activities you could undertake on the railways, and I don't do those. I believe that people have the ability to decide just how much risk they want to take, and if they are prepared to take the responsibility for their actions, especially if it does not directly affect others, then good luck to them.

Established Member
As do I. I'll admit I've done it, and at 125 mph while passing my subject which was doing 75 mph, but I do my best to be careful and make sure I'm ready to duck back in at a second's notice. I also know that I shouldn't really do it, especially at speed. Still, there are far more dangerous activities you could undertake on the railways, and I don't do those. I believe that people have the ability to decide just how much risk they want to take, and if they are prepared to take the responsibility for their actions, especially if it does not directly affect others, then good luck to them.

Like i said as long as you apply common sense there isnt too much of a problem

I agree with everything you say. I used to do it a lot, especially in Mk1 and Mk2 stock with nice vestibules away from everyone. In fact I made a habit of it behind hydraulics in the 60s and 70s. There was nothing better than leaning out of the window nearest a Western or Warship while travelling between Exeter and Newton Abbot.

I haven't done it for years now, but it was fun then. No doubt the self righteous brigade will point out that I risked death, not just from my head colliding with Parsons Tunnel mouth, but also from breathing in lung fulls of diesel exhaust fumes, but that was all part of the magic and I didn't care.

The only time it failed was when an over enthusiastic ticket collector demanded excess because the coach that I was standing in that particular day was first class and my rover was only valid in second, so he marched me back to the nearest second class seat, no doubt cursing the rebellious nature of the "youth of today" when I tried to argue.

50Fan91

Through force of habit, when travelling on an HST in the West Country, I will always stand in the vestibule next to an open window. I am of the opinion that one day I won't even be able to enjoy doing this when the HSTs are one day inevitably replaced.

You've just got to be careful and responsible: Lean an elbow on the window sill keeping your head inside the window frame and enjoy the experience, don't go sticking your whole upper body out or you're asking for trouble!

Temple Meads

Established Member
Through force of habit, when travelling on an HST in the West Country, I will always stand in the vestibule next to an open window. I am of the opinion that one day I won't even be able to enjoy doing this when the HSTs are one day inevitably replaced.

You've just got to be careful and responsible: Lean an elbow on the window sill keeping your head inside the window frame and enjoy the experience, don't go sticking your whole upper body out or you're asking for trouble!

I knew you'd be posting in this thread at some point :lol:

I always keep one hand on the handle that's attached to the wall next to the door on a HST, then I guard myself against somehow falling out.

My other hand will be on the large handle attached to the door, or perhaps on the top of the window if it's one of windows that won't stay down!

Established Member
I knew you'd be posting in this thread at some point :lol:

I always keep one hand on the handle that's attached to the wall next to the door on a HST, then I guard myself against somehow falling out.

My other hand will be on the large handle attached to the door, or perhaps on the top of the window if it's one of windows that won't stay down!

Agreed !! and A nudge of direction from moi but i will always hold to the bar next to the door

Status
Not open for further replies.