• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Window Hanging ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Why are you so bothered about what other people get up to? Do you think they are equally bothered about what you 'mind'?

One mishap in 30 years is the best the naysayers can come up with? Statistically this must make window hanging one of the safest activities in history?

I was just expressing my opinion on the matter. Equally I do not mind people countering it, or whether they take what I or anyone else says onboard or not.

They can do as they wish, but the next time someone ends up with an injury or worse, I would find it quite tough to feel sorry for them. You put yorself on the line, you have to realise there are consequences.

As a matter of interest, does anyone on here encourage or not mind flailing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
The odds of being killed or injured by hanging out a window aren't too bad. It just means that the more you do it, the more chance of you getting hurt.

It's not particularly clever, if I see someone doing it when I'm Stewarding and I think it's dangerous, I'll pull them up.

I've had a few passengers on the Strathspey duck back inside the train when I come down, thinking they'll get told off for it, I tend to tell them not to worry - there's only one section of restricted clearance on the line, and it's the overbridge immediately before Broomhill Station

4SRKT

Established Member
Will be mucho flailing at the KWVR Diesel Gala in 5 weeks' time. My lorddddssss!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Will be mucho flailing at the KWVR Diesel Gala in 5 weeks' time. My lorddddssss!
I take it that there was never an informal meet-up type event thing set up for that on here?

Do I remember you saying that you were planning on attending on the Friday, 4SRKT?

4SRKT

Established Member
I always go on the Friday as it's easier for me to take a day off work and go then than to try and fit it in around the kids being off school at the weekend. The routine is simple: drop the boys at school, leg it down to Shipley station for the 09:02 to Keighley in time for the first thrash up the line, get home about tea time :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I always go on the Friday as it's easier for me to take a day off work and go then than to try and fit it in around the kids being off school at the weekend. The routine is simple: drop the boys at school, leg it down to Shipley station for the 09:02 to Keighley in time for the first thrash up the line, get home about tea time :)
Ah fair enough, the Friday looks like it'll be my favoured day to check the gala out as well. All the usual provisos of "if I can make it" applying of course, it's a bit of a long haul from Birmingham, but I have been saying (as I mentioned on the KWVR thread) that I've been wanting to make it to the KWVR for a while.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Ah fair enough, the Friday looks like it'll be my favoured day to check the gala out as well. All the usual provisos of "if I can make it" applying of course, it's a bit of a long haul from Birmingham, but I have been saying (as I mentioned on the KWVR thread) that I've been wanting to make it to the KWVR for a while.
I am there on the friday too. Probably starting on the same train as 4SRKT. Probably stay for a large proportion of day haven't decided yet.

Crossover

Established Member
Generally, it isn't something I'd advocate. On mainline services at high speed, the closest I have ever got is standing briefly in the doorway, leant against the vestibule wall with the wind hitting me as we go along (i.e. well within the carriage and actually nowhere near the window, really).

I have done it once on a preserved line (though I was a little dubious initially, it was slow speed and quite a few others were doing similar, plus over the double track parts, it was single train working all day)

Other than that, occasionally done it whilst pulling into a platform at the station I'm getting off at if I'm first in line for the door opening. Not sure whether they are happy about that really, but it is the safest place to do it, really.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
For those who think they are confident that they know what they are doing one of our drivers is currently in hospital with a fractured skull after leaning out of his cab window over the weekend and hitting a bridge.

Being aware of the risks is one thing, but everybody makes mistakes from time to time.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
its a bit dangerous when leaving a busy station say london but i do it sometimes on the right hand side of the train on a quiet stretch except the dawlish sea wall when its safe on the left. even the guard had a lean out.

43021HST

Established Member
Indeed, and not just EC, but Wakefield is well placed for the handful of XC HSTs as well. Window hanging over the viaduct is quite fun!

I take my glasses off when doing that, I wouldn't want them falling 100 odd feet.

Surely sticking your head out the window doesn't constitute as window hanging?

LE Greys

Established Member
I take my glasses off when doing that, I wouldn't want them falling 100 odd feet.

Surely sticking your head out the window doesn't constitute as window hanging?

I find that they're quite useful as goggles, and keep reminding myself that I should get a bit of string to make sure they don't fall off. Mind you, not being able to see would defeat the object of leaning out in the first place (I can barely pick out a semaphore signal at 50 yards without them).

4SRKT

Established Member
I lost a pair of glasses leaning out of a window at Ayr when I was a teenager. We were going on holiday and my father was pretty annoyed it's fair to say! No glasses for a week wasn't a great deal of fun for me either though. Not only that, but the traction in question was a 47/4, so it wasn't even a sacrifice in a good cause!

Laryk

Just watched the TM of a FGW HST with her head out of the window coming down from ~40mph and into the platform at Penzance.

4SRKT

Established Member
Just watched the TM of a FGW HST with her head out of the window coming down from ~40mph and into the platform at Penzance.

Unless her head is several feet in diameter she's in absolutely no danger there.

Actually, this is a point I hadn't considered. Maybe the window hanging naysayers on here all have abnormally large heads. Have any of we standard head-sized window hangers seen any of them IRL? Maybe Frank Sidebottom is posting on here under a pseudonym; I can see why he'd be worried if his whole head was sticking out of the train.

wbbminerals

I had a few good HST bashes on the Knottingley East Coast diversions last weekend, it was an interesting route and was much more enjoyable being seen from out of the window. I'm still alive. :)

Also I managed to get two photos of 950001 (the test train unit) that I wouldn't have otherwise managed to get.

Laryk

Unless her head is several feet in diameter she's in absolutely no danger there.

Yeah, I wasn't complaining about her - I was just surprised, given the attitude (probably justified) they take on it.

It was a good 400m of window hanging as well - not just within the station.

4SRKT

Established Member
Yeah, I wasn't complaining about her - I was just surprised, given the attitude (probably justified) they take on it.

It was a good 400m of window hanging as well - not just within the station.

Judging by yr avatar you're not averse to a bit of window hanging yourself!

Laryk

Judging by yr avatar you're not averse to a bit of window hanging yourself!

As long as one understands the dangers, I don't see a problem with it. If you keep your head out just enough to see out then the worst that could happen is a wallop from a branch (still not very pleasant, I'll admit :D)

GNERman

Established Member
TBF I have done "window hanging" in the past. However, the furthest I have ever gone has not been past my shoulders, and mainly involved only looking out with one eye. I haven't done it since the last Valenta's were withdrawn.

TGVDUDE

I don't see the appeal of having a look out of the window at 125 on a HST, even in valenta days, but I do like to have a little listen out of the window on loco hauled stock, only for a short period leaving stations or at a known thrash spot though

Minilad

Established Member
I don't see the appeal of having a look out of the window at 125 on a HST, even in valenta days, but I do like to have a little listen out of the window on loco hauled stock, only for a short period leaving stations or at a known thrash spot though

Is that the same thing as this G-spot women are always going on about :idea:

43021HST

Established Member
I find that they're quite useful as goggles, and keep reminding myself that I should get a bit of string to make sure they don't fall off. Mind you, not being able to see would defeat the object of leaning out in the first place (I can barely pick out a semaphore signal at 50 yards without them).

Sometimes window hanging with lack of glasses, is so you get the full benefit of the noise of the diesel engine, and you can feel the wind against your face. Much like a dog hanging its head out of a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.