• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrongly Assumed Facts by Passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
That HST MK3 stock doors are always unlocked. The number of times I've seen people wrestling with the handle before interlock is released...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter153

That HST MK3 stock doors are always unlocked. The number of times I've seen people wrestling with the handle before interlock is released...

Another 'wrongly assumed fact' there; HST stock is not fitted with traction interlock*. An HST is quite capable of moving with the Central Door Locking released and doors open or insecure.

*HSTs with slam doors anyway - modified power door sets at GWR and ScotRail will have traction interlock retrofitted.

xotGD

Established Member
That the train is your personal bin, and that it is your right to leave your rubbish behind, because you know someone will clean it up, all because you're too lazy and selfish to remove the rubbish that YOU brought on board.
Better than people in cars who think that 'out of the window' is a bin.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No the flight to Liverpool does not involve a change, it is direct from Southend. It is a flybe route. I don't think it is very new.

Sorry I have realised that confused it with the British Airways CityFlyer flight to Manchester from London City which is simular price. Looking on the website they do seem to fly from Heathrow and Gatwick too.

Flybe do not fly from Liverpool to Southend. They do however fly from Manchester to Southend.

BA also do not fly from Manchester to Gatwick.

Are you sure you’ve got that right?

6Gman

Established Member
Both friends and family have both rung me up at a random station and asked me why their train is late or if it will turn up.

And if you work for the railway you are personally responsible for the overcrowded train a friend or relative travelled on six months ago.

:lol:

rishtonlad

Passengers asking you were the train goes to and expecting you to know which station they want.

mallard

Established Member
That HST MK3 stock doors are always unlocked.

That the only indication of the state of the doors is the tiny little lightbox inside the train... No reason not to be leaning out with your hand on the handle waiting for the big orange light or the easily audible "click" (once the train has stopped in the station, obviously).

_toommm_

Established Member
That the only indication of the state of the doors is the tiny little lightbox inside the train... No reason not to be leaning out with your hand on the handle waiting for the big orange light or the easily audible "click" (once the train has stopped in the station, obviously).

All the fun is leaning out of the window though ;)

duffield

Established Member
...At Stratford (probably the least logically numbered station in the country) platforms 10a and 11 are opposite sides of the same island while platform 10 is on a different island, platforms 4a and 4b are opposite sides of the same island (not located between 3 and 5) and platforms 3 and 3a are opposite sides of the same train...

The Stratford platform 10 one had me fooled. I was *sure* that 10 and 10a must be on the same island at least.
Is this the only station where platforms with the same 'base number' are completely separate in this way?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Flybe do not fly from Liverpool to Southend. They do however fly from Manchester to Southend.

BA also do not fly from Manchester to Gatwick.

Are you sure you’ve got that right?
No I don't think I am sure. I would look back in my historu to check what I saw but I have just got in and am absolutely shattered. You know about flights than I do, would you mind having a look for me?

fowler9

Established Member
No I docan't think I am sure. I would look back in my historu to check what I saw but I have just got in and am absolutely shattered. You know about flights than I do, would you mind having a look for me?
Can't find anything from Liverpool to Southend or London City. As far as I know the last flights from Liverpool to anywhere near London were Easyjet to Luton and before that British Midland on DC-9's (Can't remember if that was Heathrow or Gatwick). The closest you can fly to London from Liverpool is I think Newquay which would be more inconvenient than getting the train.

E_Reeves

Established Member
But leaning out is the best part of MK3 slam door stock!

Chris M

Can't find anything from Liverpool to Southend or London City. As far as I know the last flights from Liverpool to anywhere near London were Easyjet to Luton and before that British Midland on DC-9's (Can't remember if that was Heathrow or Gatwick). The closest you can fly to London from Liverpool is I think Newquay which would be more inconvenient than getting the train.
If you want to fly from Liverpool to London you can do so via Amersterdam - although why you would want to do that I'm not sure.

talltim

Established Member
If you want to fly from Liverpool to London you can do so via Amersterdam - although why you would want to do that I'm not sure.
You mean, why would you want to carry on to Liverpool when you were in Amsterdam?

fowler9

Established Member
You mean, why would you want to carry on to Liverpool when you were in Amsterdam?
Liverpool has drugs, prostitution and people who speak English with a funny accent as well. I think Liverpool has better architecture though.

Dentonian

Established Member
No I don't think I am sure. I would look back in my historu to check what I saw but I have just got in and am absolutely shattered. You know about flights than I do, would you mind having a look for me?
Its some time since there was a Manchester-Gatwick service. The LCY service is only once or twice a week - effectively a positioning trip to get the City Flyer aircraft to Manchester for weekend flights to southern Europe.

Dentonian

Established Member
Surely, the number one wrongly assumed fact by passengers, tax-payers and the Media alike remains the 31 year old favourite:

Buses are run by the Council(s)

Mike Machin

Actually, Newquay is 59 miles further away from London - 279 miles, than the distance from Liverpool to London 220 miles!

aye2beeviasea

That you can ask the same question to three different members of railway staff and get less than 7 different answers.

That if someone at the gate gives you specific permission to use your advance ticket on an earlier train, any inspectors you subsequently meet will start from the basis that you're telling the truth, rather than lying.

That ASLEF's strike on Southern was all about passenger safety and not money. Nah! Just kidding! Nobody believes that one :)

Bromley boy

Established Member
That if someone at the gate gives you specific permission to use your advance ticket on an earlier train, any inspectors you subsequently meet will start from the basis that you're telling the truth, rather than lying.

That being on a train without a valid ticket can simply be explained away by saying "some bloke on the ticket barrier said I could board". :D

aye2beeviasea

That being on a train without a valid ticket can simply be explained away by saying "some bloke on the ticket barrier said I could board". :D
Given that is precisely what the blokes (and the women, who much to the distaste of some forum members also work on the railways) on the ticket barriers do indeed say, then it's frankly the railway's problem if they're unable to distinguish between people who have been given permission and people who haven't.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Passengers who board a train before it's announced or posted because it's "always their train" Then when things change and it's not it's everyone else's fault they are on the wrong train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that is precisely what the blokes (and the women, who much to the distaste of some forum members also work on the railways) on the ticket barriers do indeed say, then it's frankly the railway's problem if they're unable to distinguish between people who have been given permission and people who haven't.

Precisely.

I have no problem with a zero tolerance approach, but if that is the policy that policy should be enforced by EVERY member of staff without exception.

It is unacceptable that depending on who you meet when travelling ticketless or with an invalid ticket you might be let off completely, you might be sold a ticket as if you'd bought it before boarding, you might receive a PF, or you might end up being prosecuted and gaining a criminal record. Worse, all these could occur in one journey - for example, barrier staff let you through, guard says he'll sell you a ticket but is waylaid, barrier staff at your destination cite you for RoRA prosecution and you are prosecuted.

The same thing, whatever it is, needs to happen every single time you meet a member of railway staff with no valid ticket, with the possible exception of clearly publicised "Paytrain" lines and stations.

fowler9

Established Member
Precisely.

I have no problem with a zero tolerance approach, but if that is the policy that policy should be enforced by EVERY member of staff without exception.

It is unacceptable that depending on who you meet when travelling ticketless or with an invalid ticket you might be let off completely, you might be sold a ticket as if you'd bought it before boarding, you might receive a PF, or you might end up being prosecuted and gaining a criminal record. Worse, all these could occur in one journey - for example, barrier staff let you through, guard says he'll sell you a ticket but is waylaid, barrier staff at your destination cite you for RoRA prosecution and you are prosecuted.

The same thing, whatever it is, needs to happen every single time you meet a member of railway staff with no valid ticket, with the possible exception of clearly publicised "Paytrain" lines and stations.
It is a nice idea, I wish they would do it on the roads. Zero tolerance.

Mathew S

Established Member
The signs went up at Wigan North Western. In fact, there may still be some there - they certainly lasted a long time.
They came down at Wigan a few years ago. Can't remember exactly when, but certainly pre-2015 when I began using it regularly again.

Bromley boy

Established Member

The same thing, whatever it is, needs to happen every single time you meet a member of railway staff with no valid ticket, with the possible exception of clearly publicised "Paytrain" lines and stations

My last response was a tongue in cheek reference to the lengthy thread on this topic (where this post should also probably be!).

I 100% agree with you both. Written endorsement should be required in every case where passengers are allowed to board outside the validity of their ticket. This is the only fair way for both staff and passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.