• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrongly Assumed Facts by Passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
Are arrival gates shown at airports, because if so you could look and see what gate the flight has come in to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
"I can take this train because it was on RTT!"

Obviously these days it’s a very very different culture, guards aren’t even allowed in the cab now
A couple of days ago I was riding a Privatbahn in Saxony, which was operated with a Siemens Desiro Classic EMU. I was sitting in the compartment directly behind the driver's cab.

The driver left the door open throughout the journey, and the guard sat down next to him once he had finished checking tickets.

Bromley boy

Established Member
"I can take this train because it was on RTT!"

A couple of days ago I was riding a Privatbahn in Saxony, which was operated with a Siemens Desiro Classic EMU. I was sitting in the compartment directly behind the driver's cab.

The driver left the door open throughout the journey, and the guard sat down next to him once he had finished checking tickets.

Amazing the cultural differences between the different railway systems around the world. If they did that in the U.K. they’d both be shot!

beeza1

From non rail users the assumption that all rail fares are cheap, (we know different) due to the massive subsidies they, as tax payers are handing out. I asked some of my work colleagues a couple of years ago how much they thought the fare was from Huddersfield to London, no one got within 60% of the actual fare, the funniest one suggested around £15 one way, or around £25 return, when I told them the real cost, around £100 return I think, they were shocked, with the usual "what a rip off" being the most common reaction.

Raul_Duke

From non rail users the assumption that all rail fares are cheap, (we know different) due to the massive subsidies they, as tax payers are handing out. I asked some of my work colleagues a couple of years ago how much they thought the fare was from Huddersfield to London, no one got within 60% of the actual fare, the funniest one suggested around £15 one way, or around £25 return, when I told them the real cost, around £100 return I think, they were shocked, with the usual "what a rip off" being the most common reaction.

I’d be shocked too, seeing as you can get a single for £16.00......

beeza1

I’d be shocked too, seeing as you can get a single for £16.00......
That will be an advance, I doubt non rail users are even aware of there existance.
I was talking about standard walk up fares,
I can't even get to Birmingham for double that now, I used to get advances to Birmingham for £12 each way around that time but the really cheap advances haven't been available on that route for ages.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Two observations from the issues on the Valley lines due to a landslip this week:

That rail replacement buses will actually be well organised.
And on the flip side, that ToC's have an infinite supply of modern buses to use for such operations.

capoldi

It seems perhaps coincidental that their guesses are the actual rough costs of advance fares...suggesting your colleagues are very much aware of advance tickets and the actual point here is that most people are unaware of the existence of 'walk up fares'. Ask anyone at my workplace the cost of a ticket from Birmingham to London, they'll all say about a tenner, never the £70+ anytime cost.

Maybe it's a generational thing? But for me, any 'long distance' travel has used this model since I was a child - planes, trains, taxis, coaches. So saying that £100 is the real cost of a train from Huddersfield to London is a bit odd in this day and age. The maximum cost maybe, but it's certainly not in any way a 'real' cost.

hwl

Established Member
That the district line service will actually go to the destination on the platform boards.
[Always look at the boards and announcements on the train a good test to see if someone is a genuine Londoner]

BluePenguin

On Moderation
With the world finances being the way they are, we can't afford to spend as much as what we used to. I think when it comes to travel the majority of people will find and buy the very cheapest tickets they can get away with, even if it means giving up a lot of flexibility. I'm a bit guilty of doing this myself actually.

I was looking at flights to Liverpool yesterday and found that the cheapest was £40 one way from London City flying with British Airways CityFlyer. Comparing this to the train, Virgin offer £17 advance tickets one way (£11 from London). If I wanted an even cheaper ticket, London Midland only open return plus the leg up to London is only £25! However the flexible any permitted open return is £75. Would I buy this ticket? No.

I agree, it probably is a generation thing. None of my friends or I ever buy expensive anytime returns. My relatives on the other hand would be quite happy to pay to pay £150 or more for a ticket.

po8crg

GW didn't invent the coloured zones I'm afraid, I think they were the brainchild of an Intercity manager. They appeared at Wakefield Westgate during the "shadow franchise" era, along with several other locations a long way from the South-west.

However, other than the signs being placed, I personally can't recall any announcements or posters ever making reference to the various coloured zones... at all! So I'd always assumed that the idea was pretty much dead from the beginning.

The signs went up at Wigan North Western. In fact, there may still be some there - they certainly lasted a long time.

al78

Established Member
It seems perhaps coincidental that their guesses are the actual rough costs of advance fares...suggesting your colleagues are very much aware of advance tickets and the actual point here is that most people are unaware of the existence of 'walk up fares'. Ask anyone at my workplace the cost of a ticket from Birmingham to London, they'll all say about a tenner, never the £70+ anytime cost.

Maybe it's a generational thing? But for me, any 'long distance' travel has used this model since I was a child - planes, trains, taxis, coaches. So saying that £100 is the real cost of a train from Huddersfield to London is a bit odd in this day and age. The maximum cost maybe, but it's certainly not in any way a 'real' cost.

I doubt a lot of people are aware of advance tickets, more likely for some reason they can't take advantage of them, and/or are more familiar with walk up fares. The estimates of fares being way too low is more likely because those people are showing what they would be prepared to pay for the journey, not how much they think it costs in reality. People may also think that a (walk up) rail fare cost would be comparable to the marginal cost of driving, when in reality it is a lot more expensive. There will be a lot of people who never use trains so will have no idea of the cost or what types of ticket are available.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
That when you want to get off, the doors on a 142 will open as if by magic just because someone is standing in front of them. Okay, the fact the "door open" button is often poorly placed, but I've lost count of the number of times I've had to yell "You need to press the button!" because the dopey person trying to get off doesn't know what to do!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

It works both ways. As a non-driver I have no idea how much petrol costs per gallon these days, nor how far a gallon of petrol would take you.

pemma

Veteran Member

Indeed. I also wonder how many people are aware that some people pay £150 single to travel on a budget airline to a European destination, given the lowest prices they give in their advertisements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That when you want to get off, the doors on a 142 will open as if by magic just because someone is standing in front of them. Okay, the fact the "door open" button is often poorly placed, but I've lost count of the number of times I've had to yell "You need to press the button!" because the dopey person trying to get off doesn't know what to do!
Well, usually when people encounter doors like those, the driver is right behind them and opens the door for them*...

Even I have to momentarily suppress the instinctive "cheers" over my shoulder as I step off a Pacer!

*= No, I'm not trying to make a point about DCO! ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
In the 1990s that often happened on the Manchester suburban 101s.

For a brief period you could get a 175 for your normal journey and someone else who made the same journey but traveled earlier/later could get a 101 or a slam door loco hauled set.

po8crg

When you're getting off a crowded 142, the person behind you who can actually reach the button will push it without having to be asked.
That the doors will slide or open outwards like every other train so you can stand in the doorwell.

anti-pacer

Established Member
That the train is your personal bin, and that it is your right to leave your rubbish behind, because you know someone will clean it up, all because you're too lazy and selfish to remove the rubbish that YOU brought on board.

ComUtoR

Established Member
At least train drivers don't get people saying to them "You work in transport right? Can you tell me what's wrong with my car?"

Both friends and family have both rung me up at a random station and asked me why their train is late or if it will turn up.

capoldi

I doubt a lot of people are aware of advance tickets, more likely for some reason they can't take advantage of them, and/or are more familiar with walk up fares. The estimates of fares being way too low is more likely because those people are showing what they would be prepared to pay for the journey, not how much they think it costs in reality. People may also think that a (walk up) rail fare cost would be comparable to the marginal cost of driving, when in reality it is a lot more expensive. There will be a lot of people who never use trains so will have no idea of the cost or what types of ticket are available.

I still disagree that 'most' people don't know what an advance ticket is...or the simple fact that buying things earlier means it costs less....flights, coaches, accommodation, concerts

The idea that people in places as far as Huddersfield would roll up at a train station with a trip to London planned in advance but without a ticket or even knowledge of what they will have to pay seems ridiculous to me. Most people of course would research the price of travel in advance, and would then be presented with advance tickets. Boom, they're now aware they exist.

Who doesn't plan travel these days? Where are these people staying at their destination, what are they doing? You don't prebook for many things in London and you spend an entire day queuing and paying through the nose...how do these people survive?

I think people do a great disservice to the general public to suggest that they are unaware that trains are priced in the same way as all other long distance travel - if they haven't ever travelled on a coach, plane, train or taxi....then them not knowing about 'advance purchasing' probably isn't in any way remarkable.

But in this case the people asked were correct in their 'funniest' suggestion, that is the basic price for a train journey to London from Huddersfield - you'd only need to pay the 'full' price if you were travelling within the next 24 hours (usually less, at the minute it's about 13 hours until the first advance ticket is available).

Plus, anyone trying to compare the cost of one mode of transport with another, where one is hiring carriage with a transport provider and the other is ownership of a vehicle, is going to have a rough time.

beeza1

I think some of you are taking my post regarding Huddersfield to London out of context, it was a light-hearted discussion one lunchtime at work.
Of course anyone contemplating making such a journey would do some research beforehand.
As a matter of interest, on my way to the station by taxi a couple of days ago during our conversation the driver asked where I was going and, how much it cost, when I told him it was around £55 he was surprised it was so expensive.

fowler9

Established Member
With the world finances being the way they are, we can't afford to spend as much as what we used to. I think when it comes to travel the majority of people will find and buy the very cheapest tickets they can get away with, even if it means giving up a lot of flexibility. I'm a bit guilty of doing this myself actually.

I was looking at flights to Liverpool yesterday and found that the cheapest was £40 one way from London City flying with British Airways CityFlyer. Comparing this to the train, Virgin offer £17 advance tickets one way (£11 from London). If I wanted an even cheaper ticket, London Midland only open return plus the leg up to London is only £25! However the flexible any permitted open return is £75. Would I buy this ticket? No.

I agree, it probably is a generation thing. None of my friends or I ever buy expensive anytime returns. My relatives on the other hand would be quite happy to pay to pay £150 or more for a ticket.
Did the flight to Liverpool involve a change or is it a new route?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Did the flight to Liverpool involve a change or is it a new route?
No the flight to Liverpool does not involve a change, it is direct from Southend. It is a flybe route. I don't think it is very new.

Sorry I have realised that confused it with the British Airways CityFlyer flight to Manchester from London City which is simular price. Looking on the website they do seem to fly from Heathrow and Gatwick too.

Status
Not open for further replies.