• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR and Birmingham Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
There are only two routes WSMR use to get between Tame Bridge Parkway and Banbury.

Tame Bridge Parkway- Soho Junction- Birmingham New Street- Tyseley- Banbury
(passes through Birmingham New Street as a member of the Birmingham Group).

Tame Bridge Parkway- Aston- Stechford- Coventry- Leamington Spa- Banbury
(passes through Aston as a member of the Birmingham Group).

Or Cov-New St-Soho-Perry Barr seems to have appeared recently as an option aswell, don't know if any are booked that way but its certainly happened a fair few times. Obviously doesn't change the routing from a ticketing perspective but anyway ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Or Cov-New St-Soho-Perry Barr seems to have appeared recently as an option aswell, don't know if any are booked that way but its certainly happened a fair few times. Obviously doesn't change the routing from a ticketing perspective but anyway ;)

Ah OK, I checked all the booked Mon-Fri routes.

With the routeing you describe, do they reverse in New St?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think Perry Barr may have been a typo as if they go through New St they'd not go via Perry Barr to get to Tame Bridge.

glynn80

Established Member
I think Perry Barr may have been a typo as if they go through New St they'd not go via Perry Barr to get to Tame Bridge.

Well if it was a typo the only other route would be via Soho Junc, which was the first route I mentioned.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well if it was a typo the only other route would be via Soho Junc, which was the first route I mentioned.
Yes that's it except then via Coventry.

Basically your 2 options were New Street or Coventry, but it is possible to go via both.

paul1609

Established Member
I think this misses the point. WSMR sell, and have to accept, tickets in accordance with the National Conditions of Carriage. These state:
13. The route you are entitled to take ...
(d) The use of some tickets may be restricted to trains which take:
(i) routes passing through, or avoiding, particular locations; or
(ii) the most direct route.
These restrictions will be shown on the ticket.

The corollary of this condition is that if a restriction is not shown on the ticket, it does not apply and the ticket must be accepted (on a permitted route).

Thus when Virgin run blockade busters from Coventry to Euston via High Wycombe they must accept tickets routed via High Wycombe.

Similarly, WSMR must accept route Birmingham tickets on their trains if the journey on WSMR forms part of a permitted route between the origin and the destination on the ticket, because all WSMR trains pass through one of the five stations which comprise Birmingham Group.

Thus WSMR must accept a £46 SVR Shrewsbury - London Terminals route Birmingham ticket (in addition to the £56.50 SVR route Any Permitted ticket) because the train passes through Birmingham Group and the whole WSMR route between Marylebone and Shrewsbury is shown on maps GC+LM, which is defined as a permitted combination of maps between Shrewsbury and London in the current April 2009 issue of the National Routeing Guide.

yorkie has provided the evidence for this to the MD of WSMR on this forum and asked him to reconsider WSMR's current position regarding route Birmingham tickets. We await his response.

Once it has been established that WSMR will accept tickets in accordance with the National Conditions of Carriage and the National Routeing Guide, then a secondary issue arises as to why WSMR may be receiving no revenue from some tickets which it must accept. That is for WSMR to pursue, not for us.

John

Out of interest John can you tell me where WSMR have entered in to a contract that they have to accept all RSP tickets?
I believe that as an associate member (of which there are several) they are only obliged to accept tickets on which they receive a revenue share.
Not sure that it hasnt been resolved but dont GC refuse certain Priv tickets in theory? and I believe there are also several ferry restrictions.

John @ home

Established Member
Out of interest John can you tell me where WSMR have entered in to a contract that they have to accept all RSP tickets?

A passenger buying a ticket need not be concerned with contracts which individual train companies have entered into. A passenger buys a ticket. Printed on that ticket are the words:

Travel is subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage (NRCoC)

NRCoC states:
When you buy a ticket to travel on the National Rail Network you enter into an agreement with the Train Companies whose trains you have the right to use. That agreement gives you the right to make the journey or journeys between the stations or within the zones shown on the ticket you have bought. These Conditions are also part of that agreement and they apply to all domestic (non-international) journeys by scheduled passenger trains of the Train Companies on the National Rail Network.
It is a condition of the Passenger Licence granted to each Train Company by the Office of Rail Regulation that these Conditions apply to tickets sold for journeys involving its services and those of other Train Companies. There is a list of the Train Companies in Appendix C or at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

The list of Train Companies at www.nationalrail.co.uk includes:
Wrexham & Shropshire

I believe that as an associate member (of which there are several) they are only obliged to accept tickets on which they receive a revenue share.

From the above, I do not share your belief.

John

glynn80

Established Member
Not sure that it hasnt been resolved but dont GC refuse certain Priv tickets in theory? and I believe there are also several ferry restrictions.

Priv tickets are a seperate agreement.

All members whether associate or not of RSP sign the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement. A quote from the TSA explains the situation.
“Open-Access Operator” means an Operator which is not a Franchise Operator but which has agreed to be bound by the provisions of this Agreement that are specified in the Accession Agreement (and, where relevant, the Supplemental Accession Agreement) it has signed, other than any provisions referred to in a Cessation Agreement signed by it.

This thus then requires them to accept compulsory inter-available flows (of which Shrewsbury to London is I believe) as long the passenger is travelling on a permitted route, which we have already established in this case a passenger would be.

Olympian

Not sure what the latest on this issue is, but I was on WSMR this afternoon and it was announced after we left Shrewsbury that "Route Birmingham" tickets were not valid on WSMR services and that anyone with one of these tickets would have to either buy a new ticket, or change at Wolverhampton. I was only going to Telford so it didn't affect me!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Not sure what the latest on this issue is, but I was on WSMR this afternoon and it was announced after we left Shrewsbury that "Route Birmingham" tickets were not valid on WSMR services and that anyone with one of these tickets would have to either buy a new ticket, or change at Wolverhampton. I was only going to Telford so it didn't affect me!

Good Afternoon, if there seems confusion, why not e mail W/S. for an answer

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
they mean excess surely? and they are valid.

anyone up for a forum meet?

westcoaster

Established Member
I am in the not valid camp for this ticket, I did something similar in my ticket training, ill explain why.

First Day Single ticket from Gobowen - Birmingham Stns

First of all W&S do not stop at any of the Birmingham stations i.e. New street or Moor Street, so you would have to alight at the last calling point for this service which is Wolverhampton and change for a service to New/Moor Street, otherwise you would be overcarrying.

Now if the op had a ticket, ill make one up as an example using the calling points from the W&S timetable Gobowen- Leamington Spa route Birmingham then the ticket would be valid (this is because the train passes through the station, even though it does not stop).

But if they had a ticket Gobowen- Leamington Spa route Birmingham stations then the ticket would not be valid (this is because the train passes through the station but does not stop).

The route Birmingham stations means that the train has to stop at one of the stations for the ticket to be valid.

clagmonster

Established Member
Firstly, I agree with your point about tickets to/from Birmingham other than the fact that they could change at Tame Bridge, which would still be on avalid route.
If the train went via Aston-Stechford, would this still be valid on a route Birmingham ticket, as in the routing guide Aston is in the Birmingham group, but it is not regarded as Birmingham for fares purposes (eg a Derby-Birmingham Stations ticket would not be valid to Aston).
Also, do any route Birmingham stations tickets actually exist, as I have never come across any.

dan_atki

Established Member
The route Birmingham stations means that the train has to stop at one of the stations for the ticket to be valid.

NO NO NO!!! This is not a rule!!! The Routeing Guide specifically says:

http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm said:
Where the fare specifies a particular route, you may choose only those routes listed in the Guide which pass through the station shown in the route description.
(my emphasis).

Routes on tickets as such are also never designated as 'xxx stations' only 'xxx', which by your post would make them valid, which many of us strongly believe they are anyways, despite them not being accepted.

westcoaster

Established Member
the routing guide states this
GROUP STATIONS

The stations listed at the bottom of this page are grouped together to improve interchange between trains by offering customers access to a wider choice of train services and station facilities. A customer may travel via any station in a group, including doubling back, provided that the group is on one of the permitted routes between their origin and destination stations. This extended availability is for interchange purposes only and does not apply where the origin or destination stations are part of a group
http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm#group stations

BIRMINGHAM GROUP

Aston
Birmingham Moor Street
Birmingham New Street
Birmingham Snow Hill
Duddeston
http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm#group stations

now the op says the ticket was from Gobowen to Birmingham stns which is the destination point so will fall in with what i have highlighted above, thus making the ticket not valid.

tony_mac

Established Member
as I understand it, there are two issues:-

1) Tickets to Birmingham stations, changing from WSMR at Tame Bridge Parkway
2) Tickets going further south, marked 'Route Birmingham' using WSMR

WSMR say that these aren't valid, other people here disagree.
Your post doesn't seem to be addressing either of these, so I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I
First of all W&S do not stop at any of the Birmingham stations i.e. New street or Moor Street, so you would have to alight at the last calling point for this service which is Wolverhampton and change for a service to New/Moor Street, otherwise you would be overcarrying.
WSMR (even the MD in this topic!) have said they will accept tickets to Birmingham Stations as far as Tame Bridge so there is no issue here.

The only remaining issue is about the Route Birmingham tickets being valid south of Tame Bridge (with advice to change at Wolverhampton as it would be easier), and we have determined they ARE valid. It is unclear if WSMR are incorrectly excessing people or if they are going even further and charging for new tickets (this is, I believe, illegal, but people have suggested they are threatening to do that!)

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
The only remaining issue is about the Route Birmingham tickets being valid south of Tame Bridge (with advice to change at Wolverhampton as it would be easier), and we have determined they ARE valid. It is unclear if WSMR are incorrectly excessing people or if they are going even further and charging for new tickets (this is, I believe, illegal, but people have suggested they are threatening to do that!)

sorry guys missed out a page of post's sorry.

ok in this case this applies

say the ticket is Gobowen - London terminals route Birmingham

LONDON GROUP STATIONS

These stations form the London Group of routeing points for travel from to or via London. Customers may travel to or via any of the stations which is on the permitted route or train service for the journey being made.

BIRMINGHAM GROUP

Aston
Birmingham Moor Street
Birmingham New Street
Birmingham Snow Hill
Duddeston
http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/Routeing_Guide/instructions.htm#group stations look under london group stations

so as i understand it, if the ticket holder goes to or via any of the birmingham group of station on the way to london, the train has to stop at one of the stations for it to be valid, W&S do not stop at any of these station so the ticket is not valid .

tony_mac

Established Member
Ok, you have confused me!

You said it was valid if the train didn't stop there....
Now if the op had a ticket, ill make one up as an example using the calling points from the W&S timetable Gobowen- Leamington Spa route Birmingham then the ticket would be valid (this is because the train passes through the station, even though it does not stop).

Now you say it isn't...
so as i understand it, if the ticket holder goes to or via any of the birmingham group of station on the way to london, the train has to stop at one of the stations for it to be valid, W&S do not stop at any of these station so the ticket is not valid .

So, have I misunderstood you or have you changed your mind in the last couple of hours?

westcoaster

Established Member
Ok, you have confused me!

You said it was valid if the train didn't stop there....

Now you say it isn't...

So, have I misunderstood you or have you changed your mind in the last couple of hours?

as shown above i just found the london group infomation, which is new to me hence why i put "so as i understand it", sorry for any misunderstanding.

dan_atki

Established Member
now the op says the ticket was from Gobowen to Birmingham stns which is the destination point so will fall in with what i have highlighted above, thus making the ticket not valid.

Birmingham Stations in a ticketing perspective is different from Birmingham Group in a routeing perspective. The two groups are different ('Group' contains more stations under its remit than 'Stations') and must not be confused here.

When a ticket is issued to Birmingham Stations (or from Birmingham Stations for that matter), then the appropriate routeing point is Birmingham Group. The routeing guide is then used to determine valid routes (if not on a direct service or the shortest route) and this also shows which Birmingham Stations the ticket is valid from.

(Same sort of thing occurs with London - all of the terminals plus a few other stations are in London Group but the routeing guide ultimately determines which ones you can use - e.g. Reading to London Terminals is never valid into Fenchurch Street because no such valid route exists).

Now, the issue of where the ticket ceases to be valid is again a matter for the routeing guide. A blanket 'it is only valid until the last calling point before the train passes through Birmingham' isn't sufficient.

Take the following abstract example of a route
Code:
Fictionaltown
          ---------B--------
         /                  \
----A--------------C-------------D----
                            /
                   E--------

Say A, B, C, D, and E are five stations in an area, and the only five stations. Say B, C, and E are members of 'Fictionaltown Group' for routeing purposes but only C and E classed as 'Fictionaltown Stations' for fares purposes. Say you are on a train that stops at A, runs fast through B, before stopping at D. This situation isn't far from what's happening in this thread.

If you are travelling from A to C and the map above is in the routeing guide you may change at D instead of A if you wish. It may certainly take longer but is valid. You may also change at D and travel to E.

Now the can of worms that is 'Route Birmingham' tickets.

It is worth noting, as I've already said, that 'Route xxx Stations' does not exist. I don't have to go through the whole of Avantix Traveller to find that because the reason based on what I have said above is glaringly obvious. It would be combining a routeing Group with a set of fares Stations, and in cases where the Group is different to the Stations (such as in Birmingham) then a big problem occurs. Would travel via Aston be allowed seeing as it's in Birmingham Group but not in Birmingham Stations? A rhetorical, hypethetical question which can be answered another day I think.

So, we have that WSMR are routed either via Aston or via New Street, both of which are in Birmingham Group as we know.

You have actually already come to the same conclusion as others in this thread with

But let's seek some further clarification over the Group stations business, and see why travel via Aston should render the Route Birmingham tickets being valid.

So, we look at the Routeing Guide instructions and see this:
NRG said:
Where the fare specifies a particular route, you may choose only those routes listed in the Guide which pass through the station shown in the route description.

Hmmm, OK. So we have to travel via 'Birmingham' station. Problem occurs here because Birmingham has many stations. Now, we are determining routeing so do we use Birmingham Stations (fares) or Birmingham Group (routeing) to see which are valid?

This is, I feel, where the crux of the problem occurs and where the division is.

There is no question of a doubt that if the train is routed via New Street that a via Birmingham ticket is valid. WSMR would be in the wrong to not accept tickets here and is a matter they should take up with RSP if they don't. Certainly if I was on that train with a 'Route Birmingham' ticket and it's not accepted as we're passing through BHM then I'd be none too happy, pointing out the window and saying 'where is this then if it's not Birmingham?'.

So, Aston now. If we're taking the fares 'Birmingham Stations' to determine routeing then that causes problems in itself. Where there is an overlap, the routeing Groups always contain the same (or more) stations than the corresponding fares Stations does. Taking fares Stations to determine routeing is silly when routeing Groups exist, not to mention restrictive.

Despite that we find a route on the map CS for Shrewsbury to Marylebone. It is impossible to avoid Birmingham. But again we have this vague thing 'Birmingham'. We're in the Routeing Guide so it is the routeing Group that is being signified. You can pass through any station in Birmingham Group on a 'Route Birmingham' ticket to validate it, this includes Aston and, as such, should be accepted.

But why then is it not accepted? It must be believed by some in RSP (whether intentionally or not) that you must go through Birmingham Stations to validate a 'Route Birmingham' ticket. As I have said, such distinction is silly - using fares Stations for routeing purposes, especially when the Routeing Guide says

NRG said:
The Routeing Guide may have to be used to find out how to reach the station shown in the route description

OK, I'll use it to find out how to get to Birmingham. Oh it only shows me how to get to Birmingham Group (including Aston) so therefore it must be that routeing on tickets means travel by routeing Groups rather than fares Stations.

Along with the requirement that the train only has to pass through and not stop, we have a win-win situation for a customer on a WSMR service with a 'Route Birmingham' ticket. Along with yorkie, I'd strongly advise WSMR to assert their case to RSP again. As has also been said, it is not in a passenger's viewpoint how the revenue from tickets is distributed. The Routeing Guide shows that the ticket is valid, as such passengers will use such tickets with the Routeing Guide being authoritative.

Despite all this anyways, we now have a situation where all 'Route Birmingham' tickets are higher in price than 'Route WSMR Trains Only' where a direct comparison exists.

The routeing guide also makes this clear:
NRG said:
Where there are other permitted routes, these may also be used for the same journey provided the same or a lower fare applies.
WSMR is a lower priced route so Route Birmingham tickets have to be honoured. Again, a further case for WSMR to add to their battle with RSP.

''Route Birmingham' tickets aren't valid on our services, sir'
'oh could you excess it to one that is valid then please?'
'that'll be.... erm nothing'

unless, of course they refuse to excess such tickets because they get no revenue share. In which case I'll put in for a refund of £120 (£130 - £10 admin fee) for my Chirk to London Terminals Route Birmingham Anytime Return...

*Incidentally whilst on this topic of Birmingham routeing I found something rather concerning: Witton to Gravelly Hill Route Not Birmingham.

Such a ticket should not even exist, and is actually valid at Birmingham New Street (!) based on what the Routeing Guide says (I'm sure I haven't missed anything). So much for 'NOT Birmingham'...

Basically technicalities:
- Shortest route always valid (in this case via Aston)
- Aston is a member of Birmingham Group
- Birmingham New Street is a member of Birmingham Group
- Unlimited travel between group stations is allowed if the origin and destination are not in the group (which they're not).
- No restriction in the easements say you can't do this.

Just shows what sort of ticketing system we have...

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
About 40 posts ago Andy Hamilton wrote to this thread (some may not have seen it)

Having read the above I thought it might be useful to give you some direct feedback!

Firstly in respect of travel to Birmingham from north of Wolverhampton and changing at Tame Bridge, we do recognise that this can be a valid route and therefore the Train Manager on this occasion was mistaken. As was observed earlier it is difficult for the team to all be experts in all the various routing quirks - but I will ensure that this is fed back to the team for future reference.

In respect of "Route Birmingham" tickets to and from London, these are not valid on our services. This was not a Wrexham & Shropshire decision, and in fact we queried this position with the RSP (Rail Settlement Plan) team at ATOC. They confirmed that this was not a valid route and that we were not entitled to any share of the revenue from these tickets - so I am sure you will understand why we are very keen to ensure that passengers do not use these tickets on our services and purchase a valid ticket instead!

In respect of acceptance of "Any Permitted Route Tickets" we are a member of RSP and as such we are required to honour all tickets that are of relevant route on our services - the fact that we are an Open Access company is therefore irrelevant.

Kind Regards

Andy Hamilton
Managing Director
Wrexham & Shropshire

If there is still confusion contact him, sorry to drag this from page two
but "so much confusion" about this

Last edited by a moderator:

dan_atki

Established Member
If there is still confusion contact him, sorry to drag this from page two but "so much confusion" about this

There isn't so much confusion with us about the matter, which you gather from reading the thread.

The tickets are valid. WSMR also believe the tickets are valid (otherwise why would they raise it with RSP?). RSP do not believe the tickets are valid. Problem occurs.

RSP don't believe the tickets are valid, so no revenue from 'Route Birmingham' tickets is passed onto WSMR. WSMR don't like the fact they aren't getting revenue so prevent customers from using such tickets, which isn't allowed despite them having a point.

The confusion here lies between WSMR and RSP, not between us and WSMR. As such there is nothing we can do to assist matters unless we all write to ATOC for their reasons as to why the ticket is not valid, and supporting WSMR.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But we can still travel on Route Birmingham tickets and they cannot legally stop us. I think we need to do a forum meet to prove the point, and perhaps invite the Press?

me123

Established Member
But we can still travel on Route Birmingham tickets and they cannot legally stop us. I think we need to do a forum meet to prove the point, and perhaps invite the Press?

Fun idea. Make yourselves look rather silly, be forced to pay for a new ticket, perhaps even get the BTP involved. And what would it do? Make WSMR and/or yourselves look really silly whilst missing the whole issue.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fun idea. Make yourselves look rather silly, be forced to pay for a new ticket, perhaps even get the BTP involved. And what would it do? Make WSMR and/or yourselves look really silly whilst missing the whole issue.
Why would you have to pay for a new ticket when it's perfectly valid?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How would it make us look silly?

The worst they can do is try to excess you, not a new ticket - where do you get that idea from?

Yes we can refuse, and what can the BTP do? If they chuck us off the train they'd get awful publicity.

If it went to court they'd look extremely bad when we were proved right, and even worse publicity for WSMR.

The fact is, WSMR know they're in the wrong, they've read the analysis from several people here who understand the routeing guide and yet they still try to charge people, but they are banking on the fact that the people they charge pay without a fuss. When a group of us knows our rights, their only 2 options are 1) back down or 2) get extremely bad publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.