• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR satisfaction now 99%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/news-item.php?id=110

22nd June 2010

Wrexham & Shropshire continues to set industry standard

Wrexham & Shropshire has proved its customer service can't be beaten after scoring the highest rating for customer satisfaction - 99% - for the third time running, in a survey carried out by Passenger Focus, the independent rail watchdog.

Last year, Wrexham & Shropshire proved to the industry that quality customer service could be delivered at prices that don't break the bank after beating other operators to the top with a 97% customer satisfaction rating in the National Passenger Survey. In February this year the company beat its previous rating to score a record breaking 98%. However, today's result is the highest figure recorded for customer satisfaction across the rail industry since the survey began in 1999.

Andy Hamilton, Managing Director said: "Since launching services in spring 2008 we have set out to provide the best customer service to be found on the UK rail network, knowing that as an Open Access operator our success and even our survival depends on being able to entice people out of their cars onto our trains. Today's results demonstrate what can be achieved and set a challenge to our colleagues in the industry to live up to. After February's results I said we wanted to make our 98% into 99%, and we have. However, we would not have got where we are today without listening to our passengers and finding innovative ways to meet their needs. Today's result is a real honour and our staff should be proud of what they have achieved. The ongoing challenge is to continue to improve the areas that we and our passengers know we can do better."

Wrexham & Shropshire has championed low fares and introduced a series of innovations to help the company to break away from the industry norm. From introducing tickets by text message to freshly cooked locally-sourced food on every single train, Wrexham & Shropshire has set a new standard for rail travel.

The company is also the only rail operator to have abolished unpopular peak fares; it recently introduced a first class flat fare which means passengers can travel from any station along the route to London for £120, regardless of the time or day. Passengers can buy their ticket on board at no extra cost and have the option of receiving tickets by text message if they book online.

:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Well done Wrexham and Shropshire
They really are a fabulous rail company that make you feel very relaxed whilst onboard
with there outgoing and friendly approach to passengers.

route:oxford

Established Member
Given that is such a small margin away from perfection, it would be interesting to know what the 1% failing was.

TDK

Established Member
99% .... there's always one bugger whose never satisfied :D

I bet that one person ticked the neither staisfied or satisfied box as well, but if WSMR got 100% what would be the next step, maintaining the 100% I suppose. Well done to all the staff who have made this 99% possible.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is the quest for 100% now hunting down the moaner and offing them? If you've given WSMR a "poor" review, watch your back!<D

Skip 10

I bet that one person ticked the neither staisfied or satisfied box as well, but if WSMR got 100% what would be the next step, maintaining the 100% I suppose. Well done to all the staff who have made this 99% possible.

Proberbly someone who got on at Tame bridge, wanting to get off at new street and not happy that we dont call there.

thefab444

Established Member
If you've given WSMR a "poor" review, watch your back!<D

Looks like I'm going to be hunted down by the WSMR rape brigade.

Nothing against WSMR really, but if the other TOCs were small outfits, using LHCS, giving away food, and run on a practically not-for-profit basis, I'm sure they'd get very similar ratings. It's like comparing Oranges and Lemons.

Eh? WSMR do not run on a "not-for-profit basis" - if anything quite the opposite is true. They NEED to make a profit as a "voluntary" open access operator, whilst the major franchise TOCs (ATW, etc) are much safer, with guaranteed routes for a guaranteed time, etc, and are subsidised. If WSMR aren't in profit soon it will end. So I don't understand your comment at all. The very reason WSMR are pulling all the strings and getting great customer satisfaction is that they need customer satisfaction and loyalty, in order to get to that profitable future. If all TOCs ran on the same basis our passenger railway network would be a much, much better experience!

Skip 10

Looks like I'm going to be hunted down by the WSMR rape brigade.

Nothing against WSMR really, but if the other TOCs were small outfits, using LHCS, giving away food, and run on a practically not-for-profit basis, I'm sure they'd get very similar ratings. It's like comparing Oranges and Lemons.

Thats almost amusing, your quite right though, if it wasnt for the 5:10 being full of cranks on a monday morning when the passenger focus peolpe are out carrying out the survey I dont know how we would have got such a high percentege, I doubt its down to hard work and staff attitude, can I remove my tounge from my cheek yet?

As for not-for-profit TDK and myself will be much relieved to hear that, means we can ignore everything we are told when the managers inform us that unless the company is in profit we wont have any jobs.

So as you where saying youve nothing against WSMR really but.....

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Thats almost amusing, your quite right though, if it wasnt for the 5:10 being full of cranks on a monday morning when the passenger focus peolpe are out carrying out the survey I dont know how we would have got such a high percentege, I doubt its down to hard work and staff attitude, can I remove my tounge from my cheek yet?

As for not-for-profit TDK and myself will be much relieved to hear that, means we can ignore everything we are told when the managers inform us that unless the company is in profit we wont have any jobs.

So as you where saying youve nothing against WSMR really but.....

I think you've found the 1% :P

thefab444

Established Member
Eh? WSMR do not run on a "not-for-profit basis" - if anything quite the opposite is true. They NEED to make a profit as a "voluntary" open access operator, whilst the major franchise TOCs (ATW, etc) are much safer, with guaranteed routes for a guaranteed time, etc, and are subsidised. If WSMR aren't in profit soon it will end. So I don't understand your comment at all. The very reason WSMR are pulling all the strings and getting great customer satisfaction is that they need customer satisfaction and loyalty, in order to get to that profitable future.

Yes but by keeping costs high it will make achieving profitablity extremely hard. Doing things like giving away food to passengers on cheap tickets etc. is hardly going to help reach that profitability. SWT could give away free food to all passengers and they would get high(er) satisfaction, but the shareholders would be extremely ****ed at the loss of revenue. I imagine if DB start breathing down Hamilton's neck, satisfaction ratings will suffer, but who knows?

Remember you're comparing a very small company to huge companies who will cut as many corners as possible to ensure costs are driven right down, so no wonder WSMR are going to get much higher ratings. I assume from posts that WSMR are not in profit, is this because they are still incurring start up costs? Lack of passengers? Or are costs too high?

Anyway well done to them for achieving the 99%, but before we get a load of people saying "Other TOCs take note" and "So and so could learn from them", remember the differences; although it's usually Merloddywoo who makes these comments and he's already posted!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's a shame the question of profitability has clouded the issue that, as we have discussed previously, it;s easier for smaller operators to achieve high satisfaction ratings.

Smaller companies generally have better service elvels because the staff feel more of a part of the operation than when they are employed by a huge and often distant corporation. Operations are often simpler in smaller businesses, industrial relations easier, all of which help to improve the delivery of the services to the customer.

Smaller companies with a local owner or management are also more responsive to demand, and are able to be more innovative compared to a multi national. Again, this is qucikly felt by appreciative customers.

Smaller is often better. As a postman, standards were higher, customers and staff happier in small delivery offices compared to large mail centres. It doesn't just apply to railways!

I'm not trying to knock WSMR. I have travelled with them and been very impressed and I hope they continue to thrive. They are clearly doing a lot fo things right!

In mid August, planning a day return first class on the W&SR from Marylebone to Shrewsbury. First train there, last train back. What's the catering like ? Service generally ? Worth the £70 return ?

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
In mid August, planning a day return first class on the W&SR from Marylebone to Shrewsbury. First train there, last train back. What's the catering like ? Service generally ? Worth the £70 return ?

Worth every penny.

Full English on the way there (this was from my most recent journey) and a two course meal on the way back - with a small charge for a third! (starter) (main)

Also, the staff are the best in the country by some distance. I'd highly recommend it to anybody!

TDK

Established Member
Anyway well done to them for achieving the 99%, but before we get a load of people saying "Other TOCs take note" and "So and so could learn from them", remember the differences; although it's usually Merloddywoo who makes these comments and he's already posted!

Other TOC's should take note as other TOC's like VT, ATW & LM have been trying their best to put a spanner in the works for WSMR, so, why should they bother if they do not think WSMR are the way forward and WSMR have a service that will never be met by these other companies. WSMR really do care about the satisfaction of the passengers and management look after their staff, this is the reason why WSMR have acheived a fantastic customer satisfaction rating, the free food offer has not yet been put in place so it not anything to do with that. Sorry the FAB444 but living where you do you must use SWT and wouldn't know any different unless you have sampled what WSMR have to offer.

Failed Unit

Established Member
An open access operator s always going to get higher ratings than a franchised one as most of the people that travel with them are specifically choosing to do so. The don't get us grumpy commutors putting the boot in because it is raining or we have had a bad day at work <D units short formed.

Yes the quality on board the trains, staff etc makes a big difference, but I suspect that anyone going to London in a hurry will still use Virgin and connect. So they have to put up with the grumpy old men if you see what I mean.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That's a bit of a diversion for you isn't it? :D

Yes, but it might be worth it! I did come back that way on a day out, just to try WSMR...!

Other TOC's should take note as other TOC's like VT, ATW & LM have been trying their best to put a spanner in the works for WSMR, so, why should they bother if they do not think WSMR are the way forward and WSMR have a service that will never be met by these other companies. WSMR really do care about the satisfaction of the passengers and management look after their staff, this is the reason why WSMR have acheived a fantastic customer satisfaction rating, the free food offer has not yet been put in place so it not anything to do with that. Sorry the FAB444 but living where you do you must use SWT and wouldn't know any different unless you have sampled what WSMR have to offer.

An open access operator s always going to get higher ratings than a franchised one as most of the people that travel with them are specifically choosing to do so. The don't get us grumpy commutors putting the boot in because it is raining or we have had a bad day at work <D units short formed.

Yes the quality on board the trains, staff etc makes a big difference, but I suspect that anyone going to London in a hurry will still use Virgin and connect. So they have to put up with the grumpy old men if you see what I mean.

WSMR will have identified the market they wish to serve, and the profit they can expect to make from it as part of their business plan.

They have the open access advantage of not having to be tied to franchise obligations so they can choose how to pitch their services. Franchise operators don;t have the freedom to do that generally.

WSMR should only be compared with other open access operators on that basis!

steve099

I'm pleased someone else got smacked down (thefab444) for pointing out the obvious before I were to. 99% satisfaction is a commendable achievement yet having now done two such surveys for WSMR (I rate them well, might I add) and a few for other operators over the years I can't help but think that the questions are misdirected, primarily as surveys are geared solely towards individual journeys.

Why not a survey that takes into account your overall experiences with a firm? If you are generally disappointed with a peak service but rate them well on the one time you are surveyed and travelling, say, off-peak, is this really representative???

Perhaps the best bit of praise I can give this little company is that if they're late, you get your money back. Granted, it would've been nice not to have been late in the first place, but this policy alone gets the thumbs up from me in recognition that people book/join a train to arrive at a given time, not at the company's leisure. Good job there.

I don't know how 99% will have been calculated but I imagine that 1% may have something to do with crowded 'peak' services, unit reliability, slow timings and poor table seating legroom/access.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The last 1% is the hardest to achieve, as just one response, possibly out of thousands, will mean it can't statistically be achieved!

All these surveys should be taken with a pinch of salt. The organisation I used to work for achieved 99& satisfied or very satisfied scores from customers regularly. Yes, we were good, but we weren't perfect and we had quite a few complaints and dissatisfied customers. But the questions were carefully worded to achieve the right result!

Yes but by keeping costs high it will make achieving profitablity extremely hard. Doing things like giving away food to passengers on cheap tickets etc. is hardly going to help reach that profitability. SWT could give away free food to all passengers and they would get high(er) satisfaction, but the shareholders would be extremely ****ed at the loss of revenue. I imagine if DB start breathing down Hamilton's neck, satisfaction ratings will suffer, but who knows?

Remember you're comparing a very small company to huge companies who will cut as many corners as possible to ensure costs are driven right down, so no wonder WSMR are going to get much higher ratings. I assume from posts that WSMR are not in profit, is this because they are still incurring start up costs? Lack of passengers? Or are costs too high?

With due respect this demonstrates that you do not understand the cost profile of running a railway business! The cost of free food for First Class customers is insignificant when considered in the context of the cost of owning or renting the rolling stock, maintaining it and putting fuel in the loco's?

The whole principal of WSMR's business case is one of encouraging people to make rail journeys they would otherwise not make. You will not do that with average railway customer service especially given that the journey times are still slower than the alternatives.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Why not a survey that takes into account your overall experiences with a firm? If you are generally disappointed with a peak service but rate them well on the one time you are surveyed and travelling, say, off-peak, is this really representative???

You have got a point here, imagine you get a survey on a day with a signal failure and a lot of arriva's passengers using the WSRC train just because it is first to show up at Wolverhampton (heading to Wrexham). Some of them may have been waiting for quite a while so they will take out thier annoyance on WSRC even if the train they are on is on time. 99% is very hard to achieve, so well done, but a bad day could see it drop off just as quickly even if it isn't the TOC's fault.

TDK

Established Member

I don't know how 99% will have been calculated but I imagine that 1% may have something to do with crowded 'peak' services, unit reliability, slow timings and poor table seating legroom/access.

The 5.10 off Wrexham and in some respect the 07.23 and also the 16.30 & 18.30 off Marylebone I would call peak services. Poor table seating? We are talking Mk3 coaching stock here and I feel that the seating arrangment is probably better than most. You will need to look at the evidence of the survey to see where the 1% was lost. The long journey time is no fault of the company it is totally down to the VT franchise agreement and the monopoly on the WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.