• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

It looks like I am going to need to commute to London for approx 6 months from York. It will be York - Kings Cross and I will bike from there. Please can you advise me on the best fares. I am likely to get the ouward at between 06.00 and 07.00 Monday to Friday and return between 16.45 and 17.30. I would be able to fix my trains if that helps. I do want to travel direct otherwise a long day will be even longer! Am I likely to be best just buying a York - Kings Cross season? Or is there a sensible split? Or am I best buying advances? Or a combination? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you are travelling every day, then a season ticket is probably the best bet, as it will give you full flexibility over which trains you travel on, and is the equivalent price of less than two days of Anytime Returns. As such, it represents pretty good value, although the price might not give that impression at the outset.

cuccir

Established Member
Well a 6 month season ticket is £7,384.40. If you make 130 return journeys (that's 5 times a week for 26 weeks) then your average return ticket is £56.80. This is about equivalent to the best value Advance fares that you'll get in the peak, so it's much better value than the Advance option due to the added flexibility. If your working hours are more flexible, however, you could book Advances and travel later in the day, perhaps working till later, and get returns for £20-£40.

soil

Established Member
Of course you'd never actually buy a six-month season ticket, because there's no saving to doing so compared with monthlies, and it works out more expensive than buying odd period monthlies.

John @ home

Established Member
For a 6-month secondment from York to London, plan your holidays carefully. Where possible, take full weeks off and have a season ticket for one month or more which expires on the Friday before the holiday, with the next ticket starting on the first day back. Where this is not possible, try to plan odd days of holiday for the beginning or end of a season ticket.

Season tickets for duration 1 month 1 day to 10 months 11 days are priced pro rata at the monthly rate.

34D

Established Member
Look seriously at hotel rooms. I've lived in Yorkshire and worked in central London, and I tried the commuting.

paul1609

Established Member
Look seriously at hotel rooms. I've lived in Yorkshire and worked in central London, and I tried the commuting.
Id second that. look at getting digs in the east end. Two hours plus will take it out of you especially in the winter months when daylight hours are short

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I travel down from West Yorkshire to work in London.

It's not suitable for everyone but hostel rooms are a lot cheaper than trains from York.

I paid £11 a night last week to stay Monday - Thursday.

www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.co.uk have most of them on - do pay attention to the reviews, most are fine, a handful are horrible. Some have age limits.

mm333

I travel down from West Yorkshire to work in London.

It's not suitable for everyone but hostel rooms are a lot cheaper than trains from York.

I really like the Tune Hotels - tiny rooms, but very comfy. As a test, I was quoted £180 for 4 nights in the Kings Cross one from August 1st (as a example date). £10 for unlimited internet per stay. No breakfast or dinner though, but there are a number of good but cheap eateries near Kings Cross.

bennorthyork

Slight change of plan and I will now be travelling Tuesday to Thursday only. Out each day on the 0600 and returning on the 1648 or the 1700. So rather than getting a season I will get advances. When are they released? Is it Friday morning 12 weeks before?

bennorthyork

Please can someone tell me if a weekly season York to Kings Cross exists? I can't seem to find the price online.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There isn't a weekly season for York - London AFAIK.

Red Dragon

When are they released? Is it Friday morning 12 weeks before?

Usually released on Thursday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm, and bookable 12wks and 1 day in advance i.e. up to and including the Friday. You can register and get East Coast to email you when they're released, to remind you to book. The release time does sometimes vary.

If you're booking through the East Coast web site suggest you register for their points.

When I worked for Railtrack in Euston colleagues commuted daily from Donny, but they had free 1st class travel.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No seven day season York to London, but you can get a one month ticket at £1230 to London Terminals. You can also get a carnet of five anytime returns for £996, usable within three months.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No seven day season York to London, but you can get a one month ticket at £1230 to London Terminals. You can also get a carnet of five anytime returns for £996, usable within three months.

Although it's much cheaper for a week to buy the London - Doncaster season at £271.30 and a York-Doncaster return at £17.70 each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.