• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite tube line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
I've never got to go on it. Done all the other lines at one point or another but it always seems to be closed for engineering works when I go (my own fault since I'm a weekend traveller for the most part) :(

*cough* FORUM MEAL *cough*

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Got to be the Metropolitan, although not strictly a tube.

I used to like riding on the Bakerloo line when I was a kid, because of the 1938 stock. Also the W&C Line in BR days with the Southern Railway vintage stock.

Statto

Established Member
Piccadilly Line, love the fast section between Hammersmith & Acton Town, also the Metropolitan line, especially love the elevated sections of both lines.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I do like the Bakerloo line, if only because I love the 1972 Stock. .

A pain to drive though with the rheo, door interlocks and wheelspin relays continually causing the motors to drop out (not so much nowadays). The 38's & 59's were a delight in comparison.

announcements

Well, yes, dark blue then.
i've always thought of the Met as maroon.

I think people seem to be over-using the word 'purple' these days, so not to worry. Whatever happened to mauve, violet, plum and cerise?

The Metropolitan line is 'plum' to me!

Anyway, my favourite line is the Piccadilly line as it has decent rolling stock, is fairly reliable and has plenty of variety both in terms of suburban scenery and station architecture.

317 forever

Established Member
I like the Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines best for rolling stock. Mind you, the new Victoria line trains seem to have faster acceleration.

For a few years in my youth the Northern Line was my favourite, for all its brances. I went off it a bit in 1978 when I christened it the Dustbin line. It had become a dustbin for stock that was no longer sufficiently spacious for the Piccadilly line (59 stock) nor ever pretty enough for the Bakerloo and forthcoming Jubilee line (72 Mark 1 stock).

Old Timer

Established Member
Got to be the Metropolitan, although not strictly a tube..
The Met was definitely the best in the 70s, with A60 stock belting along at 70mph on jointed track, being thrown around from side to side.

There was nothing to compare - even with DMUs. Magnificent days !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I always thought it was Met Crimson.
The official corporate colour for the Met line is Magenta.

Here is the colour coding ;)
117R / 16G / 86B

Last edited:

announcements

The official corporate colour for the Met line is Magenta.

Here is the colour coding ;)
117R / 16G / 86B

I'm aware that is what TfL refer to it as, but in my opinion it is far from magenta - magenta is pink as far as I'm concerned! Similarly, TfL describe their Taxi Private Hire as mauve when it is really a kind of pale blue!

So TfL may label the Metropolitan line's colour as 'Corporate Magenta' but it doesn't mean to say it is!

I'm aware that is what TfL refer to it as, but in my opinion it is far from magenta - magenta is pink as far as I'm concerned! Similarly, TfL describe their Taxi Private Hire as mauve when it is really a kind of pale blue!

So TfL may label the Metropolitan line's colour as 'Corporate Magenta' but it doesn't mean to say it is!

Perhaps TfL should change the name of it to METgenta....I'll get my coat.

TheJRB

Established Member
On the sub surface side I'm a little stuck between the District and the Metropolitan. I love the Met for Baker Street and it's a fascinating line with a long history. But then I think I prefer the District because west of South Kensington/Earl's Court it definitely has the feeling of being a suburban mainline, I really like the south side of the Circle which of course the District follows (which happens to be the stretch I've used the most) and finally the D Stock. I like that whine the D Stock make; you know when one is nearby!

For the deep level, the Bakerloo's a great link between places but for me it's got to be the Northern because of all the branches and the fact that it has both the highest and lowest points on the Underground I think (Dollis Brook viaduct near Mill Hill East being the highest and Hampstead station being the lowest, right?).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There was nothing to compare - even with DMUs. Magnificent days !
[/FONT][/LEFT]

There was the occasional 'head to head' between the old slam door DMU's and the super fast Chesham from Finchley Road to Neasden South Junction. A good A60 would generally win even though the train from Marylebone had a moving start. When the Turbos arrived it was no contest. Also started to die off after the 50 line restriction was imposed and a number of letters were received along the lines of 'I don't expect an Alton Towers style rollercoaster ride on my journey home from work'.

I wonder if battle will resume once the S stock is fully functional ?

driver9000

Established Member
When I lived in London the Northern line was my local line and I liked the open sections but my all time favourite line is the Metropolitan. One of the main reasons was the A stock but with their impending demise the line has lost something that I don't think the S stock can replace. It's still my favourite line though :)

For an actual tube line it would have to be the Bakerloo which to me has a certain smell to it that I can't quite place.

S Stock

As my username may suggest - my favourite is easily the Met. I take it every day (A choice between that and Piccadilly).

It has always been blessed with some of the best stock - A Stock has so many good memories for me as a child, and although it is sad to see them phased out, the S Stock is a blessing and clearly the future of the Underground.

Victoria is also extremely useful and the new trains there have greatly improved things too. Waterloo & City is awesome too, mainly because of how unique it is.

I know this isn't what the thread is asking, but my least favourite has to be the Central Line. Probably the most useful for most Londoners, but I don't think I've EVER been on it, in all of my 23 years living in London, and not seen overcrowding!

TSR :D

I know this isn't what the thread is asking, but my least favourite has to be the Central Line. Probably the most useful for most Londoners, but I don't think I've EVER been on it, in all of my 23 years living in London, and not seen overcrowding!

Well, It was the most useful for me as it is the fastest way to go from East to West London without using NR (If there is).

SS4

Established Member

Nor me. Plus it's always so damn hot (I know this is common amongst all deep tubes). I've rarely had to use the line though since I come in from either Euston or Marylebone and usually end up heading either North-West to Uxbridge (the travelodge is often cheap) or South/South-East.

Most annoyingly was having to go from Euston to Mile End. Now of course the sensible course of action is to take the H&C direct and suck up the walk to Kings Cross or Euston Square but thanks to engineering works the H&C was closed so "had" to change at Bank :(

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I like the Hammersmith & City Line, as it calls at platforms 15 and 16 at Paddington, and not many people know about it, most people aim straight for the District, Circle and Bakerloo Lines but D&C Lines all terminate at Edgware Road, pointless if you ask me :P

I also like the Metropolitan Line from Uxbridge.

And the Central because of it's cutting straight through London, I regularly travel from Ealing Broadway to Marble Arch, shop my tits off down Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street and Piccadilly Circus, before going back on at Marble Arch.

Also, the Jubilee Line stock is immense! The traction is incredible! And I love what they've done at Westminster with the platform doors to stop people topping themselves off the platforms, a very good idea which I think should be introduced all over the country if you ask me. Safety is absolutely vital on our railways as I'm sure most of you will agree.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
And I love what they've done at Westminster with the platform doors to stop people topping themselves off the platforms, a very good idea which I think should be introduced all over the country if you ask me. Safety is absolutely vital on our railways as I'm sure most of you will agree.

What about platforms with different types of stop calling, especially with a variety of end and 1/3+2/3 door stock? What about bridges and thousands of unprotected miles of lineside?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What about platforms with different types of stop calling, especially with a variety of end and 1/3+2/3 door stock? What about bridges and thousands of unprotected miles of lineside?

Design them in such a way that all types of stock with different door arrangements fit into these safety doors.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
No idea. If London can do it then I don't see why the rest of the country can't.

How do you mean bridges and linesides? How would this affect platforms?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
No idea. If London can do it then I don't see why the rest of the country can't.

How do you mean bridges and linesides? How would this affect platforms?

I honestly don't see how the cost would justify it - surely someone how will top themselves will find one way or another to do it anyway?

You were the one who said it would stop people jumping under trains - how do stop them from doing it elsewhere then?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Design them in such a way that all types of stock with different door arrangements fit into these safety doors.

Now that would be a significant challenge.

The principal purpose of the Platform Edge Doors (PEDs) on the Jubilee is for their air management properties, reducing the 'piston' effect of air being pushed in front of the train. They obviously have a safety benefit too.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I honestly don't see how the cost would justify it - surely someone how will top themselves will find one way or another to do it anyway?

You were the one who said it would stop people jumping under trains - how do stop them from doing it elsewhere then?

Oh, when you say bridges and linesides, I thought you meant in relation to the safety doors, or whatever they're called.

Well, I don't know in all honesty, I'm not an engineer or Isambard Kingdom Brunel (what a genius IKB was though) hehe.

I just wish the railways were a lot safer. Mind you, our railways are much safer than places like Italy!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
And I love what they've done at Westminster with the platform doors to stop people topping themselves off the platforms, a very good idea which I think should be introduced all over the country if you ask me. Safety is absolutely vital on our railways as I'm sure most of you will agree.

They've got them at all the deep level stations on the Jubilee line extension, but haven't fitted them on the platforms on either the old (ex Bakerloo) sections or any of the surface stations on the line (including the extension).

The jubilee line has a single stock type, operating always as seven car formations.

For the mainline? Unless you've got a very expensive, complex solution, you have to be able to deal, at most stations, with two or more of the following:
20m stock with 1/3 2/3 doors
20m stock with 1/4 3/4 doors
23m stock with the above
23m stock with doors near the ends
23m stock with doors actually at the ends
20m stock with doors actually at the ends.

You also need platform door SDO (various lengths of trains), additional doors to line up with crew doors etc.

Perhaps on some commuter stations where there really is only one stock calling (c2c for example) it could be workable.

You would also need to ensure that trains always stopped exactly on the mark- not always easy (eg ice, leaf fall season)

Lrd

Established Member
Why can't you have a screen with doors set back from the platform edge (say, the yellow line) that only open when a train has stopped in the platform, then the screen doors close, guard checks no one still in between the screen and train and then closes doors and off the trains goes.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A thought that's just come to me - what bout after hours when the local chavs descend on the station? Obviously this isn't a problem on LUL, but it would be for (let's say) 80% of NR stations.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Why can't you have a screen with doors set back from the platform edge (say, the yellow line) that only open when a train has stopped in the platform, then the screen doors close, guard checks no one still in between the screen and train and then closes doors and off the trains goes.

If you have a sufficiently wide platform that could be a viable option, on a busy narrow platform setting back the doors wouldn't be an option as it would limit the space too much.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

What Guard? The Underground is 100% DOO isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.