• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite tube line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

And why?

Also, which tube line has least problems, delays, crowded, or most frequent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Now, by Tube you you mean Tube, or can surface lines qualify as well? I do, or did, like the District because it has more of a 'main line' feel, and some of the stations (like Earls Court)* are like proper main line stations. And the D stock is still some of the best riding stock. I also rather like the Piccadilly, mainly because I like the purple colour in which it's shown on the Tube map. I know, call me superficial if you like. That's why I've never been very fond of the Bakerloo or Northern..
:p

*Earl's Court? I'm never sure

:roll:

SS4

Established Member
Schnellzug:884940 said:
Now, by Tube you you mean Tube, or can surface lines qualify as well? I do, or did, like the District because it has more of a 'main line' feel, and some of the stations (like Earls Court)* are like proper main line stations. And the D stock is still some of the best riding stock. I also rather like the Piccadilly, mainly because I like the purple colour in which it's shown on the Tube map. I know, call me superficial if you like. That's why I've never been very fond of the Bakerloo or Northern..
:p

*Earl's Court? I'm never sure

:roll:

The Metropolitan is purple ;)

My favourite is the met because I always use uxbridge travelodge in London

WestCoast

Established Member
The Jubilee Line for me - it's a great contrast between the old and new.

Yew

Established Member
I would say Northern, as I always seem to use it whenever Im in london (however nowadays The Piccadilly seems to be taking over, as I get a train to STP, instead of driving with family)

My second would be the Hammersmith and City, as It has proper seats in the stock, however its wierd as I think M&C,Circle and Met all use the same platform at some stations

Aictos

Established Member
Easy, the Met line but only because of these comfy Cravens!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Waterloo and City - smallest subterranean blot and shortest maximum pain endured!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've always had a soft spot for the Bakerloo line, but I always thought that Londoners loved the Central Line?

ushawk

Established Member
Its a tie between the Central and the Met for me - the one i dont like the most is the Jubilee though, mainly as i always seem to get caught in disruption on it and i dont even use it that much.

wintonian

Established Member
The Portaloo and S**ty for me, it's diffrent to all the others being end to end with no stops and used to part of NSE.

LE Greys

Established Member
I would say the Met, but to me that's a suburban line. It's still fun to go bucketing along at 60-70 between Moor Park and Harrow in an old train of A-stock, but that's going now, and anyway I think the trains now stop at all stations along there. Other than that, the Piccadilly produces some comparatively long stretches and old stock, and the upper Northern involves several viaduct crossings. On balance, I think I prefer the Picc, because it links up a lot of the museums and still has older stock. And it's a "holiday line" because it links King's Cross and Heathrow.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I've always had a soft spot for the Bakerloo line, but I always thought that Londoners loved the Central Line?

I do like the Bakerloo line, if only because I love the 1972 Stock. Lovely forward/rearward facing seats with a great bounce! Plus there's a great contrast when travelling alongside the WCML.

However, my favourite line has to be the District. Again, still some forward/rearward facing seats left. A great mix of sub-surface and 'mainline' open-air track, with plenty of interesting branches to places like Olympia and Richmond. D Stock definitely does it for me - I think I could bash Upminster to Ealing Broadway all day.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
At the moment it's the Met for me; making the most of the A stock while I can. ( LE Grays; the off peak fasts still exist until I think the 11th December if you want a last go at them; I had 5068 + 5114, 5016 + 5098 and 5116 + 5038 for fast haulage today ).

Previously it was the Bakerloo for me ( last line with a proper 1938 stock service ) then the Northern ( four reinstated rakes of 1938 for a short while, plus of course the 1959 stock, one of which was in a proper colour scheme rather than tin can livery ).

If you leave the rolling stock out of the equation, however, then I would probably favour the Met anyway for the sub surface lines ( on account of the scenery ) and the Piccadilly for the tube lines ( on account of the fast dash between Acton and Hammersmith ).

umontu

Like MCR247 I have to say the Jubilee for the sounds. Got to love those thyristors.
Not only that but as WestCoast says the contrast between the new and the old is great.
Besides that, all the deep level tube lines are my fav's, it just feels more like an underground railway when compared to the cut and cover lines.

NSE

Established Member
the 1996 stock goes like sh*t off of a shovel! Going through Neasden Southbound on the met, in the front carriage and the Jubilee will pull away as pull alongside, almost instantly it's up to the same speed. I never realised the speed at which they travel.

Favourite has to be the Victoria. I miss the old stock, although one train can still be seen at Northumberland Park Depot from the WAML.

Ivo

Established Member
However, my favourite line has to be the District. Again, still some forward/rearward facing seats left. A great mix of sub-surface and 'mainline' open-air track, with plenty of interesting branches to places like Olympia and Richmond. D Stock definitely does it for me - I think I could bash Upminster to Ealing Broadway all day.

+1 for this. I wasn't a big fan of the D stock pre-refurbishment, but since they've been done up they've been far and away my favourite. It does help that the District was the most useful line to me during my first ten years of life (i.e. before the JLE opened)! :p

I'm not a big fan of the C stock, but then the Wimbleware services may as well be a separate entity to the rest of the route.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Central. I don't get to use it very often, however I like the fact that you can leave Woodford from either end and still end up at the same place. Furthermore Central is the only one where you can go from Zone 6 at one end to Zone 6 at the other on one train.

Plus the fact that it's red.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've always had a soft spot for the Central line - the 1992 stock may not have improved with age, but most of my earliest memories of LU are from the Central. The first journey I recall was actually on a 1962 stock - which must have been right before they were withdrawn. The Piccadilly comes a close second out of the deep level tubes, mostly for the fantastic station architecture on the 1930s extensions.

As for the sub-surface lines, at the moment its the Metropolitan. I like the fact that it runs into rural Buckinghamshire, with the Chesham branch in particular being lovely. In addition, the A Stock are the last of a kind in so many ways - will not quite be the same without them.

Lrd

Established Member
I've always liked the Bakerloo line, no idea why, just something about it. I have taken a fancy to the Met recently though, but I think that is more to do with the shiny new trains. :lol:

District and Picc west of South Ken. Met north of Baker Street. Simply because they snake through the suburbs and you can see things.

As mentioned above, Earls Court is a cracking station. And I have a full on soft spot for Turnham Green and Harrow on the Hill.

I also like the Jubilee extension, but I've only ever used that in tourist mode, so I can't comment on it properly.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I also like the Jubilee extension, but I've only ever used that in tourist mode, so I can't comment on it properly.

I used to really like the Jubilee, but since the ATO system has been installed I'm less keen on it. Although its getting more reliable, the last few times I travelled on the line the system would accelerate the train very quickly, coast, then accelerate again and repeat this all the way to the next station. Very like the DLR, but faster. This isn't something I've ever noticed on the Victoria or Central, and may well have been ironed out by now.

whhistle

On Moderation
I like the Metropolitan line because of the colour, closely followed by the Piccadilly line for the same reason.

I like the Victoria line due to the ATO and the nice new stock which has a fantastic sound.

No actual favourite line though.

SS4

Established Member
Always a fan of the Waterloo and City! :D

I've never got to go on it. Done all the other lines at one point or another but it always seems to be closed for engineering works when I go (my own fault since I'm a weekend traveller for the most part) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.