• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Durham yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Haven't seen this mentioned on any threads yet. Yesterday all services were suspended through Durham for around 2 hours due to someone being electrocuted. Apparently a person had thrown the guy's shoes onto the top of the train, he then climbed up onto the roof and either touched the wire or the electricity arced down through him. I still haven't found out if the person died, although my friend who was at the station when it happened said they had to use a defibrilator for quite some time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
How did he get on the roof of the train in the station?

And 25,000 volts later, I'd be surprised if he survived...

Established Member
Somehow climbed up using the corridor connector as a ladder. I have so far only seen one small report in a local paper and even that didn't have many details.

Established Member
The platform was full of people, however I don't think the northbound platform is staffed enough to prevent something like this, normally only 2-3 staff doing the gateline.

Bittern

Established Member
Why would a person throw someone's shoes onto the roof of a train? Oh, wait a minute, I almost forgot for a second that there is too many idiots in the world.

Stupidity is the way of the idiot.

I do hope the victim survived though, unlikely as that is. I'd much rather people not die even if said death was their own fault.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hope he's okay, although did he really think grabbing one of wires was clever? (that is what he did)

9K43

With 25KV over your head you dont mess with it.
The 3rd rail is even more dangerous.
When on or about the railway, under the wires, you do not go above the sole bar level.
Also at that voltage, it can jump and arc through you to earth.
This once happend at Doncaster Shed.
I have been on MGR trains loaded to the hilt with coal approaching Doncaster Station from the south with the wires running through the piled up coal in the HAA's.
When we did our bi annual rules, we majored on the section on the elctrified lines, as if you make a mistake it maybe your last one.

David

Established Member
How did he get on the roof of the train in the station?

And 25,000 volts later, I'd be surprised if he survived...

According to someone on WNXX, it was a Edinburgh - Birmingham service, which he climbed onto, was then zapped, and thrown onto the down fast. Damned lucky to be alive .....

mumrar

Established Member
When on or about the railway, under the wires, you do not go above the sole bar level.
Obviously you mean the cant line, sole bar level is above the bogies, and most people go above that :) The 'perfect storm' scenario is that the electric could arc a distance of up to 9 feet, subject to conditions.

sprinterguy

Established Member
He actually grabbed one of the wires??? Some peoples' stupidity really knows no bounds. Tbh people like that would do us all a favour by removing themselves from the gene pool. I'm absolutely amazed that he's survived, after firstly having 25kV through him and then landing in the down fast-If there'd been a northbound East Coast service or freight he wouldn't have stood a chance.

Although it must take some resourcefulness to manage to climb up the corridor connection of a Voyager onto the roof, the carriage ends of Voyagers have always seemed somehwat devoid of any handholds to grab hold off.

the sniper

Established Member
Well I would have thought that we'd all be well aware of the dangers of 25,000 volts passing through ones body, as most people here don't seem to be idiots, but fair enough.

wensley

Established Member
He actually grabbed one of the wires??? Some peoples' stupidity really knows no bounds. Tbh people like that would do us all a favour by removing themselves from the gene pool. I'm absolutely amazed that he's survived, after firstly having 25kV through him and then landing in the down fast-If there'd been a northbound East Coast service or freight he wouldn't have stood a chance.

Although it must take some resourcefulness to manage to climb up the corridor connection of a Voyager onto the roof, the carriage ends of Voyagers have always seemed somehwat devoid of any handholds to grab hold off.

I must admit there are some idiots about but the fact that a guy climbing onto a train in a station unoticed/unchecked raises serious questions.

a) What kind of people watch someone do that
b) Were safety measures in place with EC staff should such an incident occur
c) As the train was at a stand crew members should have been on the platform and noticed such an incident before the guy passed cantrail line. (I know how hard it is to monitor a busy platform but this is a major concern).

As people have said he was incredibly lucky he was noticed and that a train wasn;t passing through on the fast. By rights he should be dead but I bet he won't come as close again

GB

Established Member
We don't know the timescales involved here. We don't know how long it took for him to climb on top of the coach and how soon after he got the shock. It only takes a few moments and by time an emergency isolation is issued it is sometimes too late.

As for the staff, what are they ment to do other than request an emergency isolation? I certainly wouldn't be anywhere near someone who is intent on getting that close to so much power and I certainly wouldn't try and physically restrain someone who is already nearing the top of the coach under live OHLE.

Established Member
I think GB has hit the nail on the head - the person could have climbed up very quickly, leaving no time to act.

malcolm

I was on the train. It was packed with Newcastle fans (including me!) travelling home from the game against Blackpool. There will have been probably a couple of hundred people got off at Durham. It would therefore be easy for station staff not to spot what was going on, especially as it was some distance down the platform from where most staff would have been.

Established Member
That's what I thought, plus there are normally only 2-3 staff on the platform anyway at a time, so I don't think it could have been prevented.

Ferret

Established Member
I know the Guard of the train involved - pretty sure he'd have tried to stop him if he could've!

scotsman

Established Member
Can't help but wonder what saved him, current passing through the (partly) plastic train and the train had a high resistance?

TGV

So he died then?

I haven't clicked, but if it's the same clip I've seen before (the guy on the roof in what looks like India?), then it should be posted with a *WARNING*.

It may be a graphic demonstration of what happens with high voltage shocks, but it's too much for some people.

scotsman

Established Member
I haven't clicked, but if it's the same clip I've seen before (the guy on the roof in what looks like India?), then it should be posted with a *WARNING*.

It may be a graphic demonstration of what happens with high voltage shocks, but it's too much for some people.

Good point, it now has a warning

Status
Not open for further replies.