• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

15/08/17 Waterloo derailment and disruption (latter likely to continue to 16/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
It's right at the station throat. The rear of the train appears still alongside the platform. Of course, the 456 on the front means those there could not walk back down the train, but what chances any passenger being in the front car of a 10-coach at 0540.

Was it the first train of the day departing by that route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
A few passengers were reportedly checked over by medics but none required hospital treatment.

LAX54

Established Member
Yes, the 456 appears to have struck the side of the ballast train. More a scrape than a crash though.

Looks quite a hefty thump tho. lost of questions to be asked about this !

infobleep

Veteran Member
It seems that all the previous plan of announcing whuch service groups will be terminating services short of Waterloo is no longer happening, except for a few service groups. Perthapawone if the staff camw up with another plan which they think might work better under the circumstances.

Incidentally the train I'm on departed Surbtion on time. That is a really thing for a Guildford via Cobham train to do in the morning peak. Other trains through Surbtion to London are running with up to an hour a 33 minute delay.

Struggled to alight from my train today due to numbers on board. I was facing away from the door so unaware just how busy it had become. It didn't seem overly busy on thr platform at Surbtion and I was towards the front. However I think it was all the people from earlier stations that did it for numbers, the precious services half an hour before having been canceled.

Current notice:
Due to a low speed, partial derailment between Vauxhall and London Waterloo:
What's Going On:
Train services running to and from these stations will be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
What We're Doing About It:
A low speed, partial derailment has caused extensive disruption to services this morning.
We are strongly advising you not to travel on our network today.
As a result of these incidents trains are currently unable to use platforms 1 to 13 at London Waterloo. Most trains are experiencing severe delays and, as such, be subject to short notice alterations. Because of the reduction in available platforms many services will need to terminate before London Waterloo and many services will start away from London Waterloo.
How will this affect my journey?
Due to the time and place this has event has occurred our morning peak trains and stations will be very busy. You should consider using alternative routes.
Queuing systems may be put in place at stations affected in order to keep you safe and manage the number of customers on platform. Queuing is likely to be in place at Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden, Surbiton, Esher, Woking, Wandsworth Town and Putney.
We have significantly reduced the number of trains running to and from London Waterloo to ensure that delayed trains do not approach London Waterloo at the same time. When this happens, trains have to wait for platforms to become free, occupying the track outside Waterloo and making it more difficult to get trains moving. The effect of this situation occurring quickly leads to vastly increased disruption.
Where possible services will be gradually re-introduced this morning but there is extensive displacement of trains and crews. We strongly advise you not to travel on our network today. Until further notice the following services will be cancelled throughout:
London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Brentford and Twickenham
London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Twickenham and Brentford

Services from Exeter St. Davids to London Waterloo will terminate at Reading. Services from London Waterloo to Exeter St. Davids will start from Reading. Customers may interchange with Great Western Railway services to London Paddington.
We are sorry for the disruption to your journey today.
Other services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice. Arrangements have been made for South West Trains rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys. You may use London Transport buses to complete your journey between any South West Trains stations.
How We're Helping You Complete Your Journey:
You may use your rail ticket on:*
- Cross Country services between Bournemouth and Reading
- Great Western Railway services via any reasonable route
- Southern services between Southampton, Portsmouth and London Victoria via any reasonable route
- Thameslink services between Wimbledon and London Blackfriars via any reasonable route
- London Bus services via any reasonable route across the South West Trains network.
- London Underground services via any reasonable route across the South West Trains network.
https://www.journeycheck.southwesttrains.co.uk/southwesttrains/

This was the previous version.
A points problem*between Vauxhall and London Waterloo is causing disruption to journeys between these stations.

What's going on:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption will continue until the end of service.

What South West Trains are doing about it:
There is a fault with a set of points on one of the lines approaching London Waterloo. This means that South West Trains are unable to use one of the 5 lines into and out of the station. This is expected to cause some delays to services, while trains use the available lines.

In addition, South West Trains are investigating a problem near Waterloo station, which is expected to cause some further delay.

How will this affect my journey?
Due to the time and place this has occurred, please be aware that the morning peak trains and stations will be very busy.*

South West Trains are advising not to travel into London at this time.

Queuing systems may be put in place at stations affected in order to keep you safe and manage the number of customers on platform. Queuing is likely to be in place at London Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden, Surbiton, Esher, Woking, Wandsworth Town and Putney.

South West Trains have significantly reduced the number of trains running to and from London Waterloo to ensure that delayed trains do not approach London Waterloo at the same time. When this happens, trains have to wait for platforms to become free, occupying the track outside Waterloo and making it more difficult to get trains moving. The effect of this situation occurring quickly leads to vastly increased disruption.

Customer Advice:

Trains departing from Exeter St David's, Yeovil and Salisbury towards London Waterloo will now divert and terminate at Reading, no longer call at Woking, Clapham Junction or London Waterloo. You may use Great Western Railway services into London Paddington to complete your journey.Trains from London Waterloo to Exeter St David's will start from Reading.Trains departing from the Salisbury, Yeovil and Honiton towards Reading will now terminate at Farnborough calling additionally at Hook, Winchfield and Fleet. They will not call at Reading. If you are travelling to Woking change at Basingstoke, if you are you are travelling to London travel on Great Western Railway, CrossCountry or South West Train services to Reading for onward travel to London Paddington.Trains departing Reading towards the West of England will start at Farnborough.Trains departing from Portsmouth Harbour will call additionally at Witley, Milford, Godalming and Farncombe, terminating at Woking. South West Trains are advising that if you are travelling onwards to London Waterloo that you do not travel at this time.Trains departing London Waterloo towards Portsmouth Harbour will be starting from Woking.Trains on the Portsmouth line departing from Haslemere, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea may be cancelled.Trains from London Waterloo to Haslemere will be cancelled.Trains between Basingstoke (via Surbiton) and Portsmouth Harbour (via Eastleigh) and London Waterloo will now start / terminate at Woking no longer calling at Surbiton, Clapham Junction or London Waterloo.Should you be travelling to London then please take a train towards Basingstoke and change for connections to London Paddington via Reading on Great Western Railway.Trains from Southampton Central (via Winchester) and Basingstoke (via Farnborough) towards London Waterloo will be cancelled.Trains departing from Alton and Farnham to London Waterloo will now terminate at Surbiton, calling additionally at West Byfleet, Byfleet & New Haw, Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames, Hersham and Esher.Trains departing London Waterloo towards Alton will start from Surbiton.Trains departing from Weymouth, Poole and Bournemouth will terminate at Basingstoke.Trains departing from London Waterloo towards Weymouth will start from Basingstoke.Trains departing from Guildford at xx:03 and xx:33 towards London Waterloo will be cancelled.Trains departing London Waterloo towards Woking at xx:17 and xx:47 will also be cancelled.Trains between Hampton Court and London Waterloo will be cancelled in both directions.Trains between Guildford and London Waterloo (via Cobham) will terminate at and start from Wimbledon.Trains between Guildford and London Waterloo (via Epsom) will terminate at Epsom.

You may use the following ticket acceptance to complete your journey:

Great Western Railway via all reasonable routes.South West Trains via all reasonable routes.CrossCountry via all reasonable routes.London Underground*via all reasonable routes.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/169398.aspx

Last edited:
Another photo from the BBC News website

_97334458_mediaitem97333807.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for the info. Certainly not blaming the guard - seems like a management issue. I think the Waterloo & City line were tweeting derailment before SWT.

What management issues?

Info control guys would have been overwhelmed on a day like today.

Whatever information you update, you will miss out some others, and you are damned whatever you do.

It is unfortunately a symptom on a more open industry, with various sources of information flying around, and guards cannot be expected to sit there and trawl through all of social media, etc, in order to hunt them down.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 07:16 did run, I watched it leave the station!

Which train are you on? I got the late 0707 (mainline) from Guildford, and even after picking up passengers from a cancelled poole service, it's still completely empty in here. Which is nice :)
Oh well someone canceled it on the National Rail Enquiries live departure boards. Still showing now as cancelled. Unlike the 6.58 from Basingstoke which is current 1 hour 40 minutes late, having not actually left Basingstoke yet. [Edit: That's not meant to be a criticism of any one, just a fact. There's a lot going on right now for staff. Must be fairly stressful.]

I got the 7.49. I had planned to head via East Putney to Clapham Junction but I changed my mind for some reason.

Last edited:

Searle

Established Member
Looks like all platforms are stacked at Waterloo, and there's now severe congestion getting out of the station. Fortunately we seem to finally have made to the front of the queue and I'll only be 20 minutes late to work 8(

Maybe I should send the guard a link to the live rail map, as I have more information than he does atm

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Looks like all platforms are stacked at Waterloo, and there's now severe congestion getting out of the station. Fortunately we seem to finally have made to the front of the queue and I'll only be 20 minutes late to work 8(

Unfortunately it is inevitable. I believe DMs are being utilised to move stock out of the way and vacate platform space asap.

Maybe I should send the guard a link to the live rail map, as I have more information than he does atm

I find that often guards are very appreciative for any verifiable information. A quiet word if possible is always a useful way to go about things.

Obviously not always possible on a crowded train.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I thought all the engineering works are meant to fix everything? Like the signals/points issue last week!

infobleep

Veteran Member

The biggest wait I've had so far has been for the bus! I've been lucky. Could be interesting tonight though.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Where a set of points could route a train into a engineering possession, should the points be locked in the direction that avoids the possession to avoid a train accidentally being routed into the possession area?

OneOffDave

I caught the 0709 from Farnborough Main and was surprised that we were only 21 minutes late into Waterloo. I kept expecting to be told we were terminating early every time we slowed down

Monty

Established Member
I caught the 0709 from Farnborough Main and was surprised that we were only 21 minutes late into Waterloo. I kept expecting to be told we were terminating early every time we slowed down

My first train of this morning was only about 20 late coming in but we were far more severely delayed getting out of waterloo.

contrad!ction

Where a set of points could route a train into a engineering possession, should the points be locked in the direction that avoids the possession to avoid a train accidentally being routed into the possession area?

From rule book module T3 under the signaller's instructions:

You must also make sure all points are in the position necessary to protect the possession.

In practice however this isn't always possible due to flank locking, which would prevent routes outside of the possession from being set.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Surely that depends if the points are also needed to get trains in and out of the possession. May or may not be the case here, I don't know. As has been discussed in the main thread about the blockade, the number of platforms and routes varies day to day, and possibly changes overnight.

Post #54 is also relevant, as to flank locking (which I think means diverting an oncoming train to prevent a side swipe at a set of points).

Signallers must have a local means of inhibiting use of certain routes, some sort of reminder system?

Last edited:

randompixel

What management issues?

Info control guys would have been overwhelmed on a day like today.

Whatever information you update, you will miss out some others, and you are damned whatever you do.

I was suggesting more the system of sharing information around wasn't getting to guards as quick as Twitter which seems like an issue. I appreciate everybody will have been working hard and doing their best. :)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've noticed there have been many points failures since the start of the works. Is this because points that are not normally used in regular service are now being used because of the works?

This subject was discussed a week or so ago in the main blockade thread, but yes there are a number of crossings, junctions and routes being used regularly that are not often used in the normal set up. This extends as far as the country side of Queenstown Rd, as effectively 8 tracks are gradually reduced down into 4 at the station throat.

contrad!ction

Surely that depends if the points are also needed to get trains in and out of the possession. May or may not be the case here, I don't know. As has been discussed in the main thread about the blockade, the number of platforms and routes varies day to day, and possibly changes overnight.

Post #54 is also relevant, as to flank locking (which I think means diverting an oncoming train to prevent a side swipe at a set of points).

Signallers must have a local means of inhibiting use of certain routes, some sort of reminder system?

Doesn't really matter whether the points are needed to get a train in/out of a T3 or not because we won't necessarily know where trains will be entering or exiting when a possession is taken. When a train turns up to enter the possession the signal will be passed at danger anyway so you'd set the points according to the route card (with the PICOP's permission if you're moving points within the possession as people could be working on them for all I know) and you're done! As soon as the PICOP confirms the train is clear and the protection has been replaced you'd replace your points back into the position to protect the possession. (There's a lot more to it than that but that's the simple version ref points!)

We have "reminder appliances" yes - these take different forms depending on what kind of signalling system is in use (VDU/panel/lever frame etc...) For a panel (which Wimbledon SCC is) they're plastic 'caps' that go over the route buttons/point switches that physically stop you pushing them and setting routes or swinging points. For a VDU system (computer based) they work in exactly the same way but they are software based.

Status
Not open for further replies.