• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

23.00 London Euston-Man picc why run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Unusual to see folks "complaining" about very late evening long distance services.

When I were a young adult - there was a 2355 Paddington - Swansea HST - in around 0330 something - and a sleeper / passenger / mail and parcels train behind that .....used both on several occassions , the latter was good for sleeping in a MK1 corridor coach and an endless (free) supply of next days newspapers to read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bit pointless running six trains between 0600 and 0700 considering the early hour in the morning and the peak price of a ticket nobody is going to use these services apart from Business managers. Trains would be better of use if they ran a couple of later services after 2115 and reduced the morning peak.

I live in stoke and wish there was one in the opposite direction! It makes a night out in Manchester impossible unless you stay overnight; as the last train to stoke is a 2146 Northern stopper! I think the last VT is around 2130

Oscar

Fares Advisor
To hark back to the original query, this late service is one between two of the major cities of England. Are there not similar occurrences at this time of the day of rail services between major cities in Europe?

No. Most European countries run a system whereby all or most long-distance services are operated commercially and local services (seen as more of a social good I presume) are subsidised. Long-distance services typically stop very early and local services (including on rural lines) often run very late (often the latest trains are very quiet). I think it's a silly situation to be honest, late long-distance services can be very useful.

suzanneparis

Would love a better late night service from Nottingham to Leicester.

There is a big gap after 9.35pm until 11.10pm.

wellwhatitis

Wow, someone asking an innocent question getting seemingly interrogated before people can put words in his mouth. What a pleasant forum :lol:

That's the problem with this forum. On the careers section some poor sod posted about becoming a train driver and was ticked off by other posters for 'not showing initiative'.

There are far too many arrogant knowledge snobs on here who go out of their way to antagonise and belittle others, particularly new posters.

Howardh

Established Member
Meanwhile, I'll be using the 2300 on a Monday in a couple of weeks. The fare (cheap) plus the added taxi ride home from Picc is waay cheaper than staying overnight in the cheapest hotels, and even possibly the youth hostels.

Now...watch it get cancelled....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, I'll be using the 2300 on a Monday in a couple of weeks. The fare (cheap) plus the added taxi ride home from Picc is waay cheaper than staying overnight in the cheapest hotels, and even possibly the youth hostels.

Now...watch it get cancelled....

If it is (unlikely) you'll get a free hotel.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I wouldn't be so sure, I've heard of train companies put people in taxi's for very long journey's even late at night (London to York in one case for example).

berneyarms

Established Member
That's the problem with this forum. On the careers section some poor sod posted about becoming a train driver and was ticked off by other posters for 'not showing initiative'.

There are far too many arrogant knowledge snobs on here who go out of their way to antagonise and belittle others, particularly new posters.

To be fair enough people (including myself) answered the query in a civil manner and others apologised for being sharp.

The best option is to do what I do - use the "report" button if you see someone being unnecessarily rude/abusive.

I'm not sure there's much to be gained from resurrecting a discussion from four months ago.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Well, if it's fairness you're after it was onlinespotting who did the threat archaeology not wellwhatitis.

I was referring to the comments about other users.

It doesn't really add anything to the thread at this stage.

(just my humble opinion!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.