• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lvaxb24

"I think that given my achievements so far in my present job, I may have come across as being someone that may well struggle to start at the bottom in another trade. This of course isnt the case, yet I feel this is maybe the perception I may have encouraged."

Good Morning Lanc,

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I was a senior IT/Telecoms manager for 15 years and had progressed through engineering, into team leadership and project management following graduation from university in my previous role and it didn't hinder me in my application. Nowhere in this industry is starting a career as a train driver considered starting at the bottom.

Last edited:

ANDY87

Hi all,

I am in the same position too, "awaiting shortlisting". Have all ten vacancies been filled?

Thanks

Andy

Lanc688

"I think that given my achievements so far in my present job, I may have come across as being someone that may well struggle to start at the bottom in another trade. This of course isnt the case, yet I feel this is maybe the perception I may have encouraged."

Good Morning Lanc,

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I was a senior IT/Telecoms manager for 15 years and had progressed through engineering, into team leadership and project management following graduation from university in my previous role and it didn't hinder me in my application. Nowhere in this industry is starting a career as a train driver considered starting at the bottom.

Thanks for the encouragement mate. I understand and agree with your words; I think what I meant to say was that I may have come across as a little self assured.

50:50 I would say, i'm usually self-critical to be honest, but will await and see the outcome and strive to use the experience that I've gained if I need to re-apply.

Regards
Lanc

Last edited:

TheVicLine

Vic,

I don't believe there are any more interviews. I think it's just a standard First status quote.

In fact I'm 99% sure that there are no more after this one !

Regards
Lanc
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just back from managers interview.....My first interview ever (in military since 17/ 23 years). 50:50 I would say and I certainly won't be surprised if I don't get the job !

Manager and HR rep were absolutely great and made me feel at ease from the start. I so wish I could go back in and start again, but this is genuinly my first interview ever and so if not succesful will be great experience.

The difference I notice from the stuctured interview is the flexibility in the questions that one can be asked...makes sense I guess !

I think that given my achievements so far in my present job, I may have come across as being someone that may well struggle to start at the bottom in another trade. This of course isnt the case, yet I feel this is maybe the perception I may have encouraged.

FYI....External interviews this week and internal next week. Think it's great that the company will take from their own, just hope I may have managed to show them some suitability !

Good luck all....keep us updated !

Regards
Lanc

Me too just back, Iwas told the same external this week internal next week. I agree good that they are a company that look to promote from within, just hope not too many though :D.
Interview was pretty much as expected and I think I came across well but it's always difficult to tell.
A bit of further info was that they will not be contacting people for 3 weeks then if successful it's just references and a medical. I got my heart set on this one so will be gutted if I go out now.

As Lanc said good luck all and keep us posted with any info or updates, did anyone ask how many others they were interviewing, I forgot to ask in all the excitement lol

Lanc688

Vic,

Evening mate, just seen your post.

There were 9 interviewing this week according to HR. I have no idea how many internals will be interviewing and whether that will be from TPE's 1000 plus employees or First Rail's 13000 plus employees; i would imagine the former, however they have experience and are no doubt decent prospects.....we'll see !

Regards
Lanc

Last edited:

Eduardo

Christ almighty it's a tough one to get into.

I'm going to learn to sing and get myself on the X factor.

Should be a little easier to win that. :lol:

TheVicLine

Also forgot to say that the training will be held mainly in Manchester but also at their place in Huddersfield, if you don't meet the 50 minute rule they will put you up in accommodation for the week.

This will be pretty much for all of the first 4 months. Don't know what the 'accommodation' is though.
50% of their current intake of trainees are in accommodation in Manchester so it doesn't seem to be a problem if you do not live in the M\nchester area.
Lanc

I think that the internal candidates will be TPE only.

I can't understand why they don't advertise internaly first and fill as many of the positions as they can with suitable candidates and then advertise for external candidates if they have not filled the vacancies from within TPE and then First.

They don't seem to do this so why seperate the internal and external candidates when it comes to they interview stage?
Or do the internal candidates only have to meet a reduced criteria?

dugster70

Vic,

I don't believe there are any more interviews. I think it's just a standard First status quote.

In fact I'm 99% sure that there are no more after this one !

Regards
Lanc
Just back from managers interview.....My first interview ever (in military since 17/ 23 years). 50:50 I would say and I certainly won't be surprised if I don't get the job !

Manager and HR rep were absolutely great and made me feel at ease from the start. I so wish I could go back in and start again, but this is genuinly my first interview ever and so if not succesful will be great experience.

The difference I notice from the stuctured interview is the flexibility in the questions that one can be asked...makes sense I guess !

I think that given my achievements so far in my present job, I may have come across as being someone that may well struggle to start at the bottom in another trade. This of course isnt the case, yet I feel this is maybe the perception I may have encouraged.

FYI....External interviews this week and internal next week. Think it's great that the company will take from their own, just hope I may have managed to show them some suitability !

Good luck all....keep us updated !

Regards
Lanc

Hi Lanc,

I wouldn't worry too much about coming across as self assured, thats what they're looking for. I think the question that almost stumped me was 'So why do you want to be a train driver?' I don't know why but I had a slight mind blank and bought myself a bit of time by asking him for a glass of water before I answered. At the end of the interview the DTM said to me 'Thanks I take it you know where the door is' but I still passed. I think you're going through post interview doubts like I was!

TheVicLine

Got a call this morning from TPE HR and i've got a medical in Manchester on 2nd November.

They told me a confirmation email will follow tommorow.

Has anyone else heard anything?
That was all I was told by HR so hoping it will say that's it's a job offer subject to a medical and references, will update when I know more and good luck all...

:D

kayla101

Got a call this morning from TPE HR and i've got a medical in Manchester on 2nd November.

That was all I was told by HR so hoping it will say that's it's a job offer subject to a medical and references, will update when I know more and good luck all...

Big congratulations on your news. Glad someone has finally managed to (almost) secure a job!!

graycam25

congratulations mate and hope the rest hear some news soon.
i found out today that i passed all the driver assessments and await the final interview to which im awaiting a date.

states the position i applied for starts 07/01/13

Geargrinder

Vic...well done mate....not heard yet myself !

Hope that doesn't mean bad news ! :|

Lanc

Firstly, as one of the 4000+ that didnt get this far, I can only offer my congratulations to Vicline and Lanc688 for making it through the minefield and getting a place at that interview table ! Well done :D

As to not hearing anything yet Lanc my guess is that the issues at this stage for TPE HR are : To work out who goes to what depot, as some applicants will be available for all 3 depots and some only asking for 1 specific depot. They also have to consider the possibility that their first choices for each job may either turn it down (Unlikely but still possible!), or fail the medical.
So I think candidates with the best interview scores and a specific depot choice will be the first to recieve offers subject to medical, and those who have indicated they would take any depot would be the last - to give HR some room to manouvre.

So I'm sure it won't mean bad news, it just might drag on a bit longer !

Last edited:

TheVicLine

Still waiting for the promised email with the full details of the medical...
Sort it out TPE :)

Manctrain

Still waiting for the promised email with the full details of the medical...
Sort it out TPE :)

I think it was cruel of Lanc to phone you up pretending to be from HR!!

Seriously, it's turning into a horrible waiting game now. I am taking no news as bad news if you've had an offer. I applied for a specific depot so sure I would've had an offer if it was coming. Well done though!

Last edited:

TheVicLine

Seriously, it's turning into a horrible waiting game now. I am taking no news as bad news if you've had an offer. I applied for a specific depot so sure I would've had an offer if it was coming. Well done though!

Was getting paranoid about it too but recieved email, BUPA Manchester 2nd Nov.
They are even paying for travel to and from medical (TPE trains only).

Good luck all.

Lanc688

Manc,

Trust me, if I could come even slightly close to credibly passing myself off as HR then I would have given myself the job by now ! (my voice is a little deeper than that Vic would have received)

Made me laugh though !

Geargrinder......Kind and sensible words; we'll see.

Regards
Lanc

doubleamber

Just a reminder to everyone, at the end of the day it only a job !! no point it getting stressed about, if you got though well done, if not better luck next time. People rant and rave over the pay, its only average for the responsibilty, and you are working shifts for it.

TheVicLine

Just a reminder to everyone, at the end of the day it only a job !! no point it getting stressed about, if you got though well done, if not better luck next time. People rant and rave over the pay, its only average for the responsibilty, and you are working shifts for it.

True it is just a new job but it will totally change my life by allowing me to move to Liverpool (in London atm) and live with my girlfriend.

Quite a big pay cut for me so not really too bothered by the money, however I have worked on the railway with London Underground for 10 years and love it and if I am to move onto Network Rail, which unless they extend the LU Northern Line another 200 miles north then I will have to, then I believe that First Group are up there with the best and definately a great move for me.

Don't even want think about not getting the job now, Mrs VicLine has set her heart on me being in Liverpool by January and has even got rid of some of her shoes and made some space for me in the wardrobe, failure would mean a big shoe replacement bill for me amongst other things :D :D :D

doubleamber

True it is just a new job but it will totally change my life by allowing me to move to Liverpool (in London atm) and live with my girlfriend.

Quite a big pay cut for me so not really too bothered by the money, however I have worked on the railway with London Underground for 10 years and love it and if I am to move onto Network Rail, which unless they extend the LU Northern Line another 200 miles north then I will have to, then I believe that First Group are up there with the best and definately a great move for me.

Don't even want think about not getting the job now, Mrs VicLine has set her heart on me being in Liverpool by January and has even got rid of some of her shoes and made some space for me in the wardrobe, failure would mean a big shoe replacement bill for me amongst other things :D :D :D

In that case for you its turned out right for you in both ways and Im really happy for you, I'm not from a railway background and was after a change just like you I was going to take a pay cut, but when there are over 4000 application for 10 jobs I think my chances were very slim as I have never worked in a safety critical job, only thing I really had going for me is I'm from an engineering background, I'm a fully qualified pilot and I have passed the driver assessments at dbs Doncaster. So probably like a lot of the non railway personal who applied.

notadriver

Established Member
Are you an airline pilot Doubleamber? I think there are 3 pilots including yourself applying for train driver positions.

doubleamber

No mate, dont work for an airline, strictly fun only!! getting into an airline is nearly as bad as getting a train drivers job, except if your daddy is not loaded you have a 100k loan to pay off for your training, and if you get a job which is a big if then you must pay it back if you get a job or not, looked into going commercial but it (for me anyway) is a massive risk as i have no one to bail me out if it all goes pete tong.
gota few mates who are drivers, they seem to enjoy it, one is a fright dog, the other works for northern rail

Last edited:

graycam25

hi all... well played for people who have had medical dates.. its no easy process is it and deffo deserve a pat on the back for getting to that stage :)

im currently awaiting managers interview :-/ and ready to get it all done and finished with now after a tough few months.

i dont think anyone really knows how many positions there are at all the depots for trainee drivers but hopefully a few..

Vicpaul

There are a few positions to come for the new lime street depot. First hand from a DOM at Manchester picc

Status
Not open for further replies.