• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

321448 demonstrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Definitely has lost windows- at the "inner" end of the carriage, not at the cab. Has the driving car been fitted with an accesible Loo? I'd expect that though to retain at least a frosted glass window for some natural light.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Definitely has lost windows- at the "inner" end of the carriage, not at the cab. Has the driving car been fitted with an accesible Loo? I'd expect that though to retain at least a frosted glass window for some natural light.

Ah I'm will you now.

fgwrich

Established Member

Possibly and doubt it. It does indeed look like it's been fitted with an accessible Loo, hence the blanked off window space at the end of the car but in a similar vein to the new accessible Loos on the 320, has lost a window in said toilet.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is it because as a demonstrator it might have multiple loos? On this family of trains, in four car versions up till now the loo has always been in the TSO/TCO in the middle.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Is it because as a demonstrator it might have multiple loos? On this family of trains, in four car versions up till now the loo has always been in the TSO/TCO in the middle.

The toilet on the current 321's is in the ATS coach, right next to the pan on the PMS coach.

samuelmorris

Established Member

From memory, I think the longer-haul version of the class was going to have two toilets regardless, one disabled-accessible and the other standard, in common with what, for example, Southern 377s already have. Only makes sense for the demonstrator to have this feature.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought disabled toilets typically didn't have any windows at all? (not even frosted ones)

It does indeed look a long way away from being complete - several months I'd guess, by which time I doubt the A/C will be such an important feature until next summer!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The 'mock-up' video of the unit earlier in the thread seems to show two toilets, one in the centre as it currently is, and another disabled toilet in one driving car.

klewer

Just wondering if anyone's heard anything about when this unit will be back in service?

Monty

Established Member
I have to say the lack of hopper windows and the bright interior makes the unit appear a lot more roomier than unrefurbished examples. Eversholt have obviously put a lot of thought into this, but it remains to be seen if similar work is carried out on the rest of the 321 fleet.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looks very good. Bet a lot of people will think these are brand new trains.

Presumably gives a clue as to what could be done on the 317s and 319s too when they're eventually cascaded.

Aictos

Established Member
I have to say the lack of hopper windows and the bright interior makes the unit appear a lot more roomier than unrefurbished examples. Eversholt have obviously put a lot of thought into this, but it remains to be seen if similar work is carried out on the rest of the 321 fleet.

Certainly agree with the windows however I don't agree with the ROSCO on their definition of Metro and Suburban interiors, surely Metro and Suburban mean the same thing?

If anything, they should have used the terms Metro to denote 3+2 seating and Outer Suburban to denote 2+2 seating if FCC used 321448 then Metro interior would have been ideal for HFN, WGC and LET services while Outer Suburban interior would be ideal for PBO, RYS, KLN and CBG services.

It's highly unlikely but with the 365s undergoing a refurbishment, it be nice if they got the same windows as 321448 which is one thing I do actually like :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd have said Metro is inner suburban and Suburban is outer-suburban.

So, technically correct but perhaps just a bad choice of words.

Anyway, who cares what any of us think. Where's Ginger? He'll decide the future of these.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Metro/Inner Suburban layout is the 2+2 with large areas for standing.

Looking at the 1st Class area, the pair of seats on the right facing the cab bulkhead is a rather odd arrangement. usually the closest seats to a cab bulkhead would back on to it (as on the left hand side)

Ginger will hate it. It'll be too bright/garish, the seats will either be too soft or too firm, the aircon won't be at the precise (to 0.1°C) temperature he likes etc.

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
He will also be able to guarantee that they will fall apart the second someone looks at the seat and that they will be un cleaned for days (which equated to some chewing gum on the carpet and the bin full)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I feel sorry for the first class ticket holder's if that's the seat design they get treated to.

....Looking at the 1st Class area, the pair of seats on the right facing the cab bulkhead is a rather odd arrangement. usually the closest seats to a cab bulkhead would back on to it (as on the left hand side)....

Didn't some of the FGE 321s have seats in that position. The seats on the far right don't look very well placed to me though......

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
:o No armrests in 1st? That's worse than the 312 and 375. If you're unlucky enough to get an airline in 1st you end up with a leather version of the metro seat!

Aren't they the leather block things in the centre?

And I thought the 312s did have armrests just not in the centre?

ginger

I'd have said Metro is inner suburban and Suburban is outer-suburban.

So, technically correct but perhaps just a bad choice of words.

Anyway, who cares what any of us think. Where's Ginger? He'll decide the future of these.

looks quite good if it has been done to a decent standard.......alas no wifi.....but aircon is a big plus!

Just such a shame that no refurb program will even be signed let alone begin for another 3-4 years due to shambles at the Dft......and with Abellio running the units into the ground now god knows if the ROSCO will ever get the fleet done!

Status
Not open for further replies.