• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

321448 demonstrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

96tommy

Its currently sat at Doncaster in a dark grey livery with random multicoloured lines. I will post pictures later

SprinterMan

Established Member
Its currently sat at Doncaster in a dark grey livery with random multicoloured lines. I will post pictures later

That sounds upsettingly like this:

6105953991_fae1b9aef4.jpg

:P

Adam :)

D365

Veteran Member
That pictured unit is two numbers down ;)

(Sounds like a description of the ONE livery, yes. Presumably that hasn't changed (if 448 did wear that livery); will impress the GE people, I'm sure!)

Last edited:

Established Member
That pictured unit is two numbers down ;)

(Sounds like a description of the ONE livery, yes. Presumably that hasn't changed (if 448 did wear that livery); will impress the GE people, I'm sure!)

321446 was the 1 Class 321 to wear the ONE livery. IIRC 321448 was in First Great Eastern livery.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely it's an OTT vinyl livery to make it stand out as a special? Nothing wrong with that - especially given the fact that there are probably a lot of people eager to spot it and ride it?

badassunicorn

very odd haha! without the front end panel it just looks weird! Looks fairly complete, just needs putting back together again, its expected back at Ilford end of the month...

D365

Veteran Member
Without the 'chin' yellow panel, it looks closer to a 456 then ever! The 'shapes' livery seems somewhat like the Thameslink 'graffiti' livery - grey instead of white here though! Will be interesting to see what else has and will change(d).

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well, exactly as expected since that is the same livery from Eversholt's demonstrator CGI video - clearly it's a promotional livery for the project, and not the actual livery any of the main fleet will carry. If they want it to stand out, this livery's perfect for that job - given how easily the white liveries of late show grime, I think a dark livery like that's a welcome change anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
Well, this 'trial livery' definitely does stand out, especially going by the reaction of other shocked posters... xD

tom1649

As a livery traditionalist the paint scheme doesn't really appeal to me. However I'm concerned to see another sealed sardine can with air conditioning. Let's hope it works as well as opening windows does. I appreciate this is a working railway and things can't stay the same forever, however I prefer the circulation of fresh air rather than the recirculation of other people's germs. It also seems like a waste of electricity to me at a time when the National Grid is really struggling with demand.

klewer

As a livery traditionalist the paint scheme doesn't really appeal to me. However I'm concerned to see another sealed sardine can with air conditioning. Let's hope it works as well as opening windows does. I appreciate this is a working railway and things can't stay the same forever, however I prefer the circulation of fresh air rather than the recirculation of other people's germs. It also seems like a waste of electricity to me at a time when the National Grid is really struggling with demand.

Having travelled on 321's for a few years, I welcome the installation of Air Con with open arms - the GEML (especially in times of disruption) doesn't run fast enough to get the air moving through the carriages and when the heat-related speed restrictions kick in, the units are nothing short of unbearable.

With regards to the power consumption, hopefully the new traction package that they're thinking of installing will be more efficient, offsetting the increase in demand the air con will bring.

The livery? Well the vinyl graphics aren't the prettiest but the base colour suits the unit in my opinion.

Overall, this heavy refurb, along with the interior improvements are a great way of bringing the 321's up to date - something they've been needing for a long time!

jon0844

Veteran Member
The photo has been manipulated though, by someone that seems to have wanted to be artistic. By having removed all other colour from the photo, for a train has a pretty dark base colour of its own, I don't think we can really get the complete 'feel'.

As a trial train, it wants to draw attention. It wants people to go and check it out, and presumably then be asked for feedback (I wonder if there will be posters inside to say what's going on and invite feedback via email/FB/Twitter?).

captainbigun

With regards to the power consumption, hopefully the new traction package that they're thinking of installing will be more efficient, offsetting the increase in demand the air con will bring.

Not quite as simple as that. The tertiary winding provides the feed for the HVAC, the secondary windings provide the feed for the traction. It is pressure on the tertiary winding that is potentially an issue. I'd be interested to know whether the transformer has been changed and if not how close to the rating it goes when in full cooling.

klewer

Not quite as simple as that. The tertiary winding provides the feed for the HVAC, the secondary windings provide the feed for the traction. It is pressure on the tertiary winding that is potentially an issue. I'd be interested to know whether the transformer has been changed and if not how close to the rating it goes when in full cooling.

You learn something new every day - I too wonder if they'll replace the transformers as part of the refurb?

Does anyone know of other classes where Air Con has been retro-fitted to an existing train? Only one I can think of is the Class 317/7.

Established Member
You learn something new every day - I too wonder if they'll replace the transformers as part of the refurb?

Does anyone know of other classes where Air Con has been retro-fitted to an existing train? Only one I can think of is the Class 317/7.
321425 (I think, or was it 420?) under Silverlink. It wasn't the most successful trial ever but much of the equipment in 448 is still based on that.

D365

Veteran Member
The photo has been manipulated though, by someone that seems to have wanted to be artistic. By having removed all other colour from the photo, for a train has a pretty dark base colour of its own, I don't think we can really get the complete 'feel'.

As a trial train, it wants to draw attention. It wants people to go and check it out, and presumably then be asked for feedback (I wonder if there will be posters inside to say what's going on and invite feedback via email/FB/Twitter?).

Fair enough; I believe 96tommy on Flickr, who uploaded the photo, is the same person as the member here, so I dropped him a message asking to post the original here.

The 317 rebuild, similar to that of the 321 and also featuring air-conditioning, is supposed to retain the original transformer.

starrymarkb

Established Member

Chiltern's 165s

ert47

The 455/8s, 465s, 466s and 365s (albeit not for passenger usage)

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I.e. cab air-conditioning; on the 365s, this was the 'happy train' cab modification; I think the 455/8 cab front was also modified. The 365s at least have adjustable ball vents, but these don't always work.

Status
Not open for further replies.