• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Nick82

I've not attended one but i've passed the assessments, everything you need to help is on this forum. Save your money would be my advice....even having passed i still didn't get the job. With the downturn in the FOC world, competition will be even higher for any TOC jobs which arise, or i'd expect so. I've pretty much given up on joining the rail industry, it can become an obsession of sorts and disappointment is all too commonplace. Not that my words will have any effect on your quest :D

Good luck, spend the money on a good night on the peeve, it'll be as useful ;)

Digressing slightly, What happened with your self regarding the Heaton job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
It is to my understanding that there are a number of companies that offer a Trainee train Driver assessment one day course, most notably How2become. This to help candidates prepare and get a understanding on how assessment days are conducted and what to expect when successful for a number of TOCs/FOCs.
My question is has anyone experienced from these one day assessment courses and if they have any relevant feedback that may benefit any potential candidates wishing to apply for any potential future Trainee Train Driver vacancies. Are these courses worth while attending forgetting about the fees that would have to be paid before attending.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/feedback given.

I think your question needs to be "has anyone been successful getting a job as a trainee driver after using any on these companies offers" If so you need to see the percentage of the successful ones based against the unsuccessful and then you will know if it is worth it!

Fred Dinenage

Regarding the Heaton job...i asked for feedback and was told someone scored higher on the interview than myself, fair enough. I'm to be held on file for 6 months. The HR lady said she thought more jobs may arise in that time and that they probably wouldn't advertise the job if that was the case, just use the holding pool.

That having been said, i'm applying for jobs internally in my industry. No point hanging around waiting when it might never transpire. The possibility of getting a job on the rails then taking over 10k cut in wages for training doesn't fill me with enthusiasm as i've a mortgage to pay. And is it really that good an industry to be entering with the state of the FOC world and tales of management treating TOC staff badly after passengers complain about them doing their jobs? Food for thought for me, i don't know the answers but i've certainly had " a moment of pause " about the whole issue, so to speak.

Good luck with your journey :D

harryshah

Hello guys newbie here,

I've tried looking scanning through this thread and since it started about 7 years ago I'm not sure how much of the information is still valid.

Can someone please direct me in the right direction, I would like to know what are the steps required to get to the interview stage.

Thank you.

TDK

Established Member
Hello guys newbie here,

I've tried looking scanning through this thread and since it started about 7 years ago I'm not sure how much of the information is still valid.

Can someone please direct me in the right direction, I would like to know what are the steps required to get to the interview stage.

Thank you.

1. Register on a TOC's recruitment site ensuring there is a depot within 1 hour of your home address
2. Set up email alerts
3. Apply ensuring you have a good application
4. Get shortlisted you have a 1 in 150 chance with some companies
5. Attend the assessments
6. Pass the assessments

Then you are up to the interview stage, 1 in 20 people who are interviewed end up with a job offer.

387star

On Moderation
1. Register on a TOC's recruitment site ensuring there is a depot within 1 hour of your home address
2. Set up email alerts
6. Pass the assessments

Then you are up to the interview stage, 1 in 20 people who are interviewed end up with a job offer.

Some companies allow you to relocate

Bios

In reality if i have some problems with my hearing would I still pass the medical ?

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
In reality if i have some problems with my hearing would I still pass the medical ?

Depends on the problems, have a full hearing test and ask them if you would pass the rail group tests.

TDK

Established Member

Many companies allow the use of hearing aids for already qualified drivers but I wouldn't know about new recruits. The answer to your question is if you fail the hearing test at a medical you will not get the job.

notadriver

Established Member
Is that not discriminating against outsiders as they might wonder why a current train driver can have a hearing aid but a new recruit can't ?

Themob

No it's not technically discrimination. Basically a TOC has a set / strict criteria in terms of health standards for applicants , should an applicant not meet that standard then the TOC isn't obliged to process the application as the candidate doesn't match the recruitment prerequisites. However should an existing employee develop a condition that means they can continue in their role with treatment without any detriment to their remit, then the employer has a duty of care to their employee.

In comparable terms: my friend is a royal marine , to earn that honour he passed a gruelling selection course. Before starting his job he had to be of a certain level of fitness.
Six years into his service he shattered his knee, the Marines have now given him a desk job.- as per the duty of care. They would not have offered him a job if he his knee was shattered when he made his initial application.

harryshah

2. Set up email alerts
6. Pass the assessments

Is there not any training or tests I need to do before hand ?

TDK

Established Member
Is that not discriminating against outsiders as they might wonder why a current train driver can have a hearing aid but a new recruit can't ?

You cannot call it discrimination to be fair it is a safety issue, the above post sums it up to be fair. The drivers I know who have hearing aids have had them recently and they have been drivers for a long time. If they can hear adequately with the hearing aid they are compliant. I have never heard of anyone apply for a job currently with a hearing aid but if there is anyone out there who apply and pass the hearing tests with the aid I cannot see that any company can refuse them a job, it is the same as wearing glasses I suppose. Anyone else heard of any trainees who wear a hearing aid get a job?

ConicalWheels

I currently work shifts and prefer to do the late shifts - there are plenty of people who prefer early shifts, so that helps.

Is that realistic as a train driver?

sandhurstwolf

First post as im been trawling the web looking how to become a train driver and this forum has provided great information.
The only question really is how do you find out when they put out request for applications and where do you look?
Is there a central place or just have to look on a forum when something turns up?

A-driver

Established Member
First post as im been trawling the web looking how to become a train driver and this forum has provided great information.

The only question really is how do you find out when they put out request for applications and where do you look?

Is there a central place or just have to look on a forum when something turns up?

Each TOCs website has a career/jobs section. That will list their vacancies including trainee driver jobs.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Thanks for that i live in sandhurst, berks what are the ones near me do you know?

Without trying to be facetious. I have always found that going to your local station and looking at a train tends to be a big clue to whom your local TOC is.

No doubt there will be some exceptions and stations with multiple TOC's serving it.

TDK

Established Member
I have wanted to drive a train ever since I was very young. (Say, three years old), and I still want to. That is my job for the future. But are there any special qualifications you need to become a train driver? I have a backup plan too, if things don't work out when I move back to England, I just simply move back to Canada, as I now have dual-citizenship. (English and Canadian).

There is a massive difference on wanting to drive a train and wanting to be a train driver.

sandhurstwolf

Without trying to be facetious. I have always found that going to your local station and looking at a train tends to be a big clue to whom your local TOC is.

No doubt there will be some exceptions and stations with multiple TOC's serving it.

Fair enough sorry for the stupid question.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why do you want to be a train driver?

Well having worked in NHS for 15 years I want a career change.Think I have the personal qualities but probably just a pipe dream.
funnily my friend mentioned I should apply years ago and maybe missed my chance.
Having read how desperate some people are about it I'm not expecting much but will put in an application and see.
having had a quick look I see the trainee train driver vacancies are not exactly plentiful so will keep looking on the web.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Fair enough sorry for the stupid question.

It wasn't a stupid question. However it does seem to come up on multiple occasions. The time it takes to find, register and then post on this forum could have been easily spent doing the research.

A trait for train driving is the ability to solve problems on your own. As posted above. Google is your privacy stealing blooodsucker friend. Pop down to your local station and check out the trains. Knock on the Driver's window or ask a staff member where the local depot is, then give the TOC a ring.

This forum is always happy to help but a lot of information is easily obtained.

GL with the job hunt.

455driver

Veteran Member
Well having worked in NHS for 15 years I want a career change.Think I have the personal qualities but probably just a pipe dream.
funnily my friend mentioned I should apply years ago and maybe missed my chance.
Having read how desperate some people are about it I'm not expecting much but will put in an application and see.
having had a quick look I see the trainee train driver vacancies are not exactly plentiful so will keep looking on the web.

Thank you for not answering my question, a career change' is hardly a reason for taking on a job which will pretty much dictate what you can and cannot do every day of the week.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Thank you for not answering my question, a career change' is hardly a reason for taking on a job which will pretty much dictate what you can and cannot do every day of the week.

Most (all?) jobs dictate what you can and cannot do every day of the week. That is the nature of work.

sandhurstwolf

Wow what sort of forum is this?
I thought driving a train is a job not some sort of life time achievement award.
Thanks for your help will move on from this part of the forum.

455driver

Veteran Member
The Reason I asked is because a lot of people have no idea how the shifts we work will impact on your home and social life.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
So many examples of the same questions being asked over and over again.
That's why they draw caustic responses, from those who have previously posted the relevant information.

On another site of which I'm a member, related to a totally different interest, if you open a thread, or request information, on something that has already been discussed, you draw the wrath of the Mods. The thread will be locked, and you will be directed to use the search function.

Would a similar policy regarding trainee driver questions be worth employing on here?