• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I a train snob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
This is amazing.
Like most people I have to get to work on time and, when I've finished, I like to get home again ASAP. On a good day it's 365 in and HST home but the comfort of my journey is worth nothing against my job or family. It's under half an hour for me - perhaps that makes a difference.

If I was working it would be different - I would get the train that got me there quickest more than likely.

It is more leisure travel where I am just out for the day that I will wait, or split journeys, where really, they don't need splitting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Slightly different but I will sometimes let a slow train go to wait for a faster one, even if the faster one doesn't overtake. I do hate stopping every few minutes!

I agree - stopping can be annoying even if you're not alighting yourself. People getting up and shuffling round all the time, and there's always the chance you end up getting disturbed/an annoying person comes and sits next to you. Give me non-stop expresses any day.

Crossover

Established Member
I agree - stopping can be annoying even if you're not alighting yourself. People getting up and shuffling round all the time, and there's always the chance you end up getting disturbed/an annoying person comes and sits next to you. Give me non-stop expresses any day.

All well and good until you end up stuck sat next to someone for an hour+ who sits next to you on an express, who you'd rather didn't :P

Yew

Established Member
This is amazing.
Like most people I have to get to work on time and, when I've finished, I like to get home again ASAP. On a good day it's 365 in and HST home but the comfort of my journey is worth nothing against my job or family. It's under half an hour for me - perhaps that makes a difference.

Half an hour on a 365 is commuting, half an hour on a HST is a mini Bash :)

However I imagine after commuting on a HST the novelty wears off. (maybe commuters on the MML even prefer meridians?)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Slightly different but I will sometimes let a slow train go to wait for a faster one, even if the faster one doesn't overtake. I do hate stopping every few minutes!
That's one of my favoured policies, too. In many instances I would rather catch a slightly later train if it is a faster service and hence closes the gap between it and the slower previous train by the time I reach my destination, and the fewer stops the better. I prefer the train I am on to be moving, even if only slowly, compared to being at a complete stop, whether that be due to station calls, signal checks or whatever. At least I know that I am still moving towards my intended goal, even if only gradually!

I frequently use this approach when selecting East Coast services when I travel between York and Newcastle: I inevitably choose the one that flies through Durham, and is around ten minutes faster than the train that precedes it around twenty minutes earlier. It is also no doubt what makes my regular commuting service, the 07:30 Birmingham - Euston "Fast" service, so exceptionally popular, even though it is usually fast in theory only: It's only arrived on time once in at least the last week!

When I have time to spare, I plan journeys I have to take on the Crosscountry network radiating from Birmingham with an eye to which services will be worked by HSTs or Turbostars. I always aim to catch 170s when travelling on the axis between Nottingham, Birmingham and Cheltenham, and 168s between Birmingham, Leamington Spa and Banbury. Or even better, I aim to arrange the times I need to be in Leamington Spa or Banbury for whatever reason to align with the times of the Chiltern loco-hauled services, which I'm usually quite successful in doing. Unfortunately, I am rarely so lucky with the Crosscountry HSTs, as I am generally travelling in the opposite direction for the time of day that they operate :(

On my regular tube commute from Euston Square, I always hope to catch a train of new S-stock on "the Met", as they offer more room to circulate and the effective air conditioning is a massive boon on the stuffy sub-surface lines. To date I have been largely successful in this endeavour, although I have never yet turned down the opportunity to just jump on the first service that turns up, regardless of what's working it, and I don't think that I will: As rdwarr details, my time is too precious. I'm not at all impressed with what I now know to be C-stock trains on the Circle and H&C lines though.

Kneedown

Established Member
Had to take a day out of my holiday on Anglesey last week to come home for a Doc's appointment. Hitched a lift with my Step-Daughter back to Nott's and returned to Rhosneigr on the train to save on fuel. My first experience of the North Wales coast line, and indeed ATW. Was hoping for my first experience of a 175 but was gutted when both the Crew-Chester, and Chester-Rhosneigr legs turned up 150/2's!

jopsuk

Veteran Member

aye- if I'm at Kings Cross, I'll oft let a xx53 semi-fast to Cambridge go in favour of the xx15 non-stop- the latter arrives only seven minutes after the former (if neither gets delayed or runs ahead of schedule). More time to grab some food, admire the architecture and then it is a non-stop train.

Lampshade

Established Member
On the Windsor line I'll happily forgo 450s to get 458s.

Aha, I'm always of the opinion that "it gets there first" so I tend to catch the slower one if it's the first one available. Plus if a stopper leaves rammed, it will gradually empty so you can get a seat at some point in the journey. If an express leaves rammed, it stays rammed until your stop.

I did wait at Clapham Junction for 25 mins for a train to London the other week (someone will probably tell me how many hundreds went by in the meantime!) just to get a 458 (which I had never been on before)

That's not train snobbery, that's good taste :D

rdwarr

However I imagine after commuting on a HST the novelty wears off. (maybe commuters on the MML even prefer meridians?)

I admit it's still nice though. Especially on a hot day when the aircon is working. Both the 18:33 and 18:53 KGX-SVG will normally offer a double seat near the front as well.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I try and avoid Class 379s like the plague, I really hate making long journeys on them especially. If end up on one to London I'll usually change at Bishops Stortford onto the Stratford service which is prettymuch a guaranteed 317 (or pair of them), not to mention that's less crowded too.

I'm opposite, I would avoid the 317 and get the 379!

Same. It's an interesting psychological observation. Does it feel faster if you make less stops make takes slightly longer to get there?

D6975

Established Member
When in London I generally try to avoid using the underground.
Not always possible of course, but with DLR, overground and Thameslink, many possibilities for alternative routes now exist.
For example, London Bridge - Stratford used to be walk to Tower Hill, circle to Liv St, 315 to SF.
Nowadays I travel via Lewisham or Greenwich and the DLR.

AlexS

Established Member

I have known of MML commuters/regulars who book to avoid the HSTs - the ride is really quite bouncy compared to the Meridians (and the bloody fixed armrests are quite an irritant too!). The 222s also get where they're going a bit quicker.

Established Member
Why would you do that? :| LOL :lol:.

Just my taste. Unfortunately it is when you turn up for a booked 142 working and it is something else, that it is a bad idea - having to wait another hour for something that also may not be a 142.

I used to do it all the time on my commute to Leeds, get the slow stopping service which was just about always a 142, plus I always got a seat.

David Goddard

Established Member
Although living closest to Reading, we often go up to London from Fleet.
We generally get to the station in good time, but then let the 0740 (a Basingstoke starting 450) go, and wait for the 0754 (a Southampton starting 444). This only gets in to Waterloo five minutes after the 450, you get a table in 2+2 seating, and have time to buy the excellent hot chocolate and shortbread fingers from the kiosk on the down platform before catching the train!

calc7

Established Member
If travelling in STD on the WCML I will aim for the xx10 ex-EUS Voyagers for use of Coach D.

If travelling in STD on the MML or ECML I will aim for a HST.

Southern

I try to avoid London Overground when travelling from Penge West, still not a fan of the 378's underground style interior that far South. Luckily, we still have the half hourly Southern service to Caterham (Tattenham on Sundays)/London Bridge, which now likes to produce at least one 377/3 on a Sunday. So I'd take a 377 instead of a 378 but if I had the choice I'd pick a 456/455 over both as they are my favourites units.

Although living closest to Reading, we often go up to London from Fleet.
We generally get to the station in good time, but then let the 0740 (a Basingstoke starting 450) go, and wait for the 0754 (a Southampton starting 444). This only gets in to Waterloo five minutes after the 450, you get a table in 2+2 seating, and have time to buy the excellent hot chocolate and shortbread fingers from the kiosk on the down platform before catching the train!

Blimey, you actually get a table at that time of the morning! :shock: Amazed that there are any left on a service that's come all that way.

387star

On Moderation
Theres a FGW service which comes through to Brighton in the afternoon moments before a stream of electrostars show up. The Southern service behind it also follows the same pattern to chichester ie non stopping and comes from Southampton!

If the FGW is busy it is easy to wait. On the other hand when a SWT 158 showed up I couldn't resist the declassified First Class which was very nice indeed. Some customers wern't aware and seemed shy going in there meaning some seats were free,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Regarding Pacers although they are uncomfortable there I sense almost a fun factor with taking them and they do exhibit a lot of character

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I only go on certain trains, for example I wont travel on a Southern 455 but get a 377 even if I have to wait longer.

Not really mate there are some trains I wait a bit longer for. For example when I go to Crewe I wait for the voyager over the ATW sprinters (unless its a 175)

SWTDesiro

I'm definitley a train snob. On my local line (South West Trains Reading Line) we have 455s, 450s and 458s. On my way to work in London I make sure I get to Twickenham station early to catch a 458-operated train. They have bigger, better seats and much more legroom than on a suburban 455.

34D

Established Member
Doesn't this thread boil down to the enthusiasts wanting to travel on the older trains and the commuters wanting the ones with aircon/plug sockets etc?

I must confess to liking the pacers and 317s.....

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I wouldn't say that the OP is a train snob but they certainly have too much time on their hands! In terms of commuting I will always jump on the first train that arrives providing there is room. In terms of InterCity travel I always pre book (or my employer does it for me) so my mind is made up for me.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I wouldn't say that the OP is a train snob but they certainly have too much time on their hands! In terms of commuting I will always jump on the first train that arrives providing there is room. In terms of InterCity travel I always pre book (or my employer does it for me) so my mind is made up for me.

This^^^

Yesterday 18:36
34D Doesn't this thread boil down to the enthusiasts wanting to travel on the older trains and the commuters wanting the ones with aircon/plug sockets etc?

I must confess to liking the pacers and 317s.....

Also this^^^

Essexman

Established Member
From London to Leicester I always try to use an HST not a Meridian.

London to Birmingham I use Chiltern loco hauled rather than Virgin Pendolino if I can.

London to Colchester I'll wait for loco hauled Norwich train.

On the whole I go for comfort of journey (including catering) over speed.

HST Power

Established Member
As far as the trains in my local area are concerned I prefer the 365 Networker. I wouldn't wait around for a 365 but as I travel First Class 90% of the time I prefer the 365 as the First Class on the other units seems a little worn and outdated. Never done the Thameslink route though.

If travelling long distance with EC I don't really care what the train is so long as there is a First Class cabin. I'd prefer a HST, but as far as I can tell there's no problem with the 91s.

TDK

Established Member
I only go on certain trains, for example I wont travel on a Southern 455 but get a 377 even if I have to wait longer.

I don't think you are a train snob just a spotter who would sooner have a 377 instead of a boring 455

DiscoStu

I used to bash in Germany between 1993 and 1997, and in all of that time I flatly refused to get on ANY kind of multiple unit. I was only ever forced into it once when a booked 218 turn rocked up as a DMU, and it was the last train to connect with my overnight. Apart from that one instance, every other train I caught in Germany was loco-hauled.

I don't bash/spot/keep logs/photograph or anything these days so my train snobbery days are loooong gone :D

Oh, and if I'm catching an eight or twelve car 350 formation, I'll walk the entire length of the train to see if it's made up of any 350/1's (with tables).

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
As far as the trains in my local area are concerned I prefer the 365 Networker. I wouldn't wait around for a 365 but as I travel First Class 90% of the time I prefer the 365 as the First Class on the other units seems a little worn and outdated.

Now I'm the opposite - I find the FC seats on the networkers most uncomfortable. On that line, class 321s have the best first class in my opinion.

Statto

Established Member
I've done it myself, a few months ago i was at Lime Street going to St Helens Junction & 142 was on the Liverpool-Manchester Airport Express, i decided to catch a 156 even though it was the stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.