• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirphil

I know the story. At Elsham I believe near the bridge. Story goes that the driver and fireman of a locomotive back in the 1870's 1880's had a fight on the footplate and consequently crashed it.

The two gents searching to debunk the story felt that the apparition was moving away from them as they weren't getting closer and so ran back to the signal box.

In the book Red for danger. I am sure that fighting footplatemen are mentioned on a service on the ECML that crashed during the early part of the 20th century somewhere south of Doncaster. I can't remember the exact details. I must look out for my copy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berob91

In the book Red for danger. I am sure that fighting footplatemen are mentioned on a service on the ECML that crashed during the early part of the 20th century somewhere south of Doncaster. I can't remember the exact details. I must look out for my copy.

I read it in Herberts 'Railway Ghosts & Phantoms'. I know the second story you refer to as well haha.

That was just after WW1. The story was called ''Revenge of the old soldier''. In the story it's just a betrayal of friends which results in one committing suicide and then killing the other on the footplate. Good story. When it happened it did get into the papers and certainly the fireman who was helping the non deceased friend saw something that shocked him.

Kernowfem

You may be thinking of the "scottish mail" that crashed north of Grantham. The accident remains a mystery, but a theory was put forward that both crewmen may have been fighting....However the on duty signalman said this was not true as when they passed his box, both men were in the places they should have been and all looked normal.

Just to add the crew took over at Doncaster...so it may be the story you have heard :)

12CSVT

Established Member
You may be interested to know that there's a feature in today's 'Metro' about haunted Underground stations

Attachments

• metro article.jpg
    metro article.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 112

berob91

This is more mysterious than ghostly but still a good story!

“On October 22nd, 1892, about 8-16 a.m., a remarkable accident occurred on the Furness Railway at Lindal. The 0-6-0 tender engne No. 115 (a 16" ‘Sharpie’) was shunting some iron ore wagons into a siding in the yard when the ground suddenly caved in under the locomotive. The engine crew (Driver Postlethwaite and Fireman Robinson) jumped off the footplate and got away. Slowly but surely the engine sank into the cavity and by 2-15 p.m. she had disappeared from view. Only the tender was saved. The area around Lindal is honeycombed with iron ore workings, and this was evidently responsible for the subsidence. It is estimated the locomotive lies some 200 feet below the ground today. The cavity was filled up in due course and the line became quite safe for traffic. While ths was going on, goods for the area were worked round by Penrith, Keswick and Workington. For passengers, trains were worked to and from each side of the subsidence. A new engine was eventually built to replace 115, whose salvaged tender she received.”

And the locomotive is still there...

Kernowfem

Found this about Causeland station on the Looe Valley line. I enjoyed reading it. There was a paranormal investigation attached to the below info. For those who want to read about it you can find it on the haunted earth website.

The phantom bride, a ghost train and an isolated station: Causeland is one of the few 'stops' on the Looe Valley Train Line, which runs between the seaside resort of Looe and the historic market town of Liskeard. (Some may be interested to know, that Liskeard train station was used to film the Arthur Askey supernatural comedy thriller "The Ghost Train"). This whimsical train journey provides a picturesque ride along the banks of the East Looe River, through the woodlands of Polvean, and also the valleys industrial past! It's almost invisible to the eyes of the tourists, but an occasional Lime Kiln or stout bridge reveals much of the heavy work and action this area has seen. The train line was originally used to transport granite and copper ore inland, to the main line at Moorswater.

Passengers board the train: By 1879 Looe was rapidly becoming the place to be, for fashionable young tourists and their retired elders. The Looe Valley Line was opened to the public, with a cosmetically pretty station at Liskeard. The line was terribly popular, and many of the small stops along the way found they had more visitors to accommodate than usual. One such stop would be St. Keyne.

Why Causeland, and not St.Keyne for the investigation?

Elliot Luxstowe's information was surprisingly specific, given the age and nature of the story. Commuters, tourists and locals have reported a few 'strange events' while waiting at Causeland Station, or while passing in cars, or the train itself:

The Phantom Bride: A cliché, I know, but it is how the story goes. The unfortunate young bride, mentioned above, fell from the train at St. Keyne while clambering to be the first from the train. Hitting the uneven earth below, her neck was broken in an instant. The Looe Valley Line, like many rural services, features 'request stops', so unless you state otherwise, the train will not stop at your desired station.

The figure of a woman, dressed in a white dress, has been seen walking the train tracks, between St.Keyne and Causeland. It was at this point that I noticed a snigger from my fellow investigators. Very well. I must admit that I too find the story a little fanciful, but what's wrong with a little romance on a chilly winter's night? "The White Lady!" scoffs Matt. Oh dear. I feel this particular "ghost hunt" is not being taken as seriously as I would like. So, I shall leave the Phantom bride for now. The orange glow of the station is now visible through the trees, so I shall tell my fellow walkers about the station's payphone. It's not just any payphone. According to British Telecom, it is one of the busiest in the county for 'incoming calls'. Strange for a phone that accepts only cards, and is located in a deserted rural corner of the countryside.

The Public Telephone: A pay phone is located inside the shelter, on Causeland's one and only platform. It is surprising to find a phone here at all, yet this very phone has been heard 'ringing' morning, noon and night. A friend, from nearby Liskeard, has actually answered the telephone on one of these occasions. She described a clicking, or tapping sound, as the only sound from the earpiece. This small fact has silenced Matt, George and Christopher, and I feel they are now in a better frame of mind for tonight's investigation. By 22:15 we had unpacked the equipment (in silence) and taken our positions, with our ghosthunting weapon of choice….

tirphil

You may be thinking of the "scottish mail" that crashed north of Grantham. The accident remains a mystery, but a theory was put forward that both crewmen may have been fighting....However the on duty signalman said this was not true as when they passed his box, both men were in the places they should have been and all looked normal.

Just to add the crew took over at Doncaster...so it may be the story you have heard :)

Quite possibly. I am still looking for my copy of Red for danger. I have moved house a couple of times in the last 18 months and I can't seem to lay my hands on it. Hope I didn't throw it away. :cry:

tirphil

speaking with a colleague over a game of pool a few days ago and he told me that the 'Bottom shed' at Machynlleth is haunted by a character called 'Fireman Willie'. This is the old Cambrian building that is situated nearest the running line just east of Mach station. This spectre has been spotted on the footplate of units stabled in the Bottom shed on a couple of occasions by the guy telling me the story although by his nickname it is obvious that Willie must come from another age. No idea as to why he inhabits the Bottom Shed though. I am not aware of any accident that occurred there over the years and neither is my colleague.

Will post again if I find anything out. Sadly it looks like my Red for Danger has disappeared. :cry:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
speaking with a colleague over a game of pool a few days ago and he told me that the 'Bottom shed' at Machynlleth is haunted by a character called 'Fireman Willie'.

I thought 'Fireman's W*llie' was something caused by prolonged proximity to a hot coal fire. :D

It's snowing - I've got my coat on already.

Last edited:

Bill EWS

In 42 years of moving around the railways and the many hours spent on my own at various places around the system I have never seen or heard anything that could be regarded as ''Ghostly'', nothing whatsoever.

Prior to being on the railways I worked in an old theatre, which was said to be haunted and again, spent long periods on my own as caretaker during the closed down periods and never experienced anything that could be considered ''Ghostly. The only noises being the creeking ropes up in the Flys and the usual echoes of an empty theatre.

In my home life too I have never heard or seen anything that would be considered ''Ghostly ... I'm now 71 years old, guess what I think?

tirphil

With reference to my earlier post. The alleged ghostly inhabitant of Machynlleths bottom shed is 'Whitchurch Willie' although he was by all accounts a fireman.

The Informer

I thought 'Fireman's W*llie' was something caused by prolonged proximity to a hot coal fire. :D

It's snowing - I've got my coat on already.

I walked through there one night in the pitch black. I was horrified to find a few days later that I'd managed to luckily avoid falling into the open pit!

Kernowfem

One of the best threads on the board. Well done to Kernowfem for kicking it all off.

Many thanks Tirphil :) Ive been doing some research and have another load of stories to post when i get the chance.

The thread is as good as it is due to the contributions that keep coming in....so i say thankyou to one and all :D:D:D

w0033944

The level crossing is located in an area of dense woodland, which always succeeds in reducing the amount of daylight reaching the ground, meaning that it always seems quite dark and mysterious. It's on a fairly minor road, with no houses or buildings nearby except for the small house adjacent to the LC, and thanks to the dense trees it usually seems very still and quiet in that area, the noise of the main road nearby is completely blocked out. So with the impression of the LC being located on a little rural lane without another soul in sight could very well give it the impression of being "sinister". I think it depends on how many stereotypical horror films you've watched ;) Personally, I've walked in the woods around Naworth and I don't find it any different from any other woodland anywhere else, I've never been troubled by ghouls and ghosties in the area!

Sorry to dig-up an old post, but I've found a piece of old Pathe footage on the internet which seems to show the aftermath of the Naworth accident.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/terrible-char-a-banc-disaster-aka-terrible-charaba

tirphil

Many thanks Tirphil :) Ive been doing some research and have another load of stories to post when i get the chance.

The thread is as good as it is due to the contributions that keep coming in....so i say thankyou to one and all :D:D:D

Brilliant. Look forward to reading them. I'm always hoping to hear stories and tales from local knowledge. Should I hear any I will post them also.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sorry to dig-up an old post, but I've found a piece of old Pathe footage on the internet which seems to show the aftermath of the Naworth accident.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/terrible-char-a-banc-disaster-aka-terrible-charaba
That's quite an astonishing find: Film footage from as long ago as 1926 has got to be very rare, let alone footage of such clear quality. There doesn't seem to have been much left of the charabanc :( Watching footage such as this really kicks accidents long past back into touch.

Thanks for posting that clip.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is Naworth the one out near Brampton (Cumbria)?

I'll agree with sprinterguy, that's quite a find there! For some reason, the fact it's in black and white (not to mention silent) makes it a lot spookier in my eyes (with all due respect to those killed / affected), it's such a haunting film.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is Naworth the one out near Brampton (Cumbria)?

I'll agree with sprinterguy, that's quite a find there! For some reason, the fact it's in black and white (not to mention silent) makes it a lot spookier in my eyes (with all due respect to those killed / affected), it's such a haunting film.
Yeah, that's the one near Brampton. I agree that it does make for quite eerie watching, as you say.

Johnnie2Sheds

Don't you just love the sceptics.

Story 1
The former Claxby and Usselby signalbox in the Lincolnshire fens was haunted by a former signalman, ....

My God my great uncle was signalman there!!! I believe he was an obstrockulous bugger too.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.