• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albagubrath

Apologies if this is a bit off topic but I noticed this story on the Grauniad and it could be relevant to anyone who has applied for the Avanti trainee train driver positions:
FirstGroup could cease trading as coronavirus hits passenger levels

While the ICWC franchise would continue, possibly in the hands of the OOLR, this disruption to the underlying business might interrupt the recruitment process.

Wouldn’t worry about that, there were people who were going through recruitment processes with Virgin who ended up employed by Avanti!
The infrastructure, employees and trains will remain no matter who runs the franchise!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Albagubrath

As long as services are not cut back long term then avanti will be recruiting plenty of drivers, do not worry. The issue will be if the gov steps in and cuts down the number of services long term in the face of the inevitable drop in pax numbers over coming years.

Which isn’t going to happen!!! Rail travel will increase as air travel declines.

Albagubrath

Will try and stay on topic as much as possible. Surely if most drivers are coming to retirement they’ll need some trainees right?

Correct!! Wouldn’t worry about First group or franchises.
Virgin to Avanti for employees would have been nothing more than a change of uniform and a different name on their payslip.
There’s a reason Branson did everything he could to hold onto the West Coast Rail Franchise and is still taking the DFT to court......cause it makes money!

Railhopeful

Which depot did you get through to? Good Luck for your interview
WVH as well. Good luck. I was told by OPC interviews might be this week, but ive heard nothing since. Let us know if you hear when your interview is and i'll do the same. Good luck.

beasley20891

I had 11 days notice for mine, I would suggest that with the Covid restrictions slowing down the process that there is just a backlog. Good luck with yours when they come up.

L.j.

Just had an email from the OPC to say that Avanti would like to keep me on the talent pool, and for the meantime all the Wolverhampton positions are full, but it is being reviewed.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Anybody been taken on for Euston? Haven’t heard much about the London end, interestingly.

Like a few on this forum, I passed the OPC assessments but didn't get the invite for Watford. If they advertise vacancies again in 2020/21 do my 'passes' stand, and see me skip the initial stage, or would I have to do that train error and SJT all over again?

pmaynard@live.

Just had an email from the OPC to say that Avanti would like to keep me on the talent pool, and for the meantime all the Wolverhampton positions are full, but it is being reviewed.

Hi L.J.
I assume this email regarding the talent pool was after attending a manager interview? I completed the OPC Assessment Day early July and had the email to tell me Avanti would be in touch to arrange a manager interview, I'm yet to hear from them up to now.

SB2015

WVH as well. Good luck. I was told by OPC interviews might be this week, but ive heard nothing since. Let us know if you hear when your interview is and i'll do the same. Good luck.
Morning, I just wondered if you’ve heard anything from Avanti yet? It all seems to have gone quiet!

Railhopeful

Hey. Yes yes apologies haven't been on here much.

Found out last week that my DMI is next week. Received an email and being conducted online.

SB2015

Hey. Yes yes apologies haven't been on here much.

Found out last week that my DMI is next week. Received an email and being conducted online.
Ah that’s brilliant news good luck! I had my interview but haven’t heard anything looks like we won’t hear for another week or so then?

L.j.

Hi L.J.
I assume this email regarding the talent pool was after attending a manager interview? I completed the OPC Assessment Day early July and had the email to tell me Avanti would be in touch to arrange a manager interview, I'm yet to hear from them up to now.
Sorry just saw this now, im waiting on the first stage opc unless they push me forward, ive done the tests apart from CBI before.

Who else who applied for Wolverhampton, is still waiting a date to start OPC tests in person at Watford?

I'm in the same boat. Applied for Wolverhampton, passed SJT online and received email stating I'd met the standard required and that the next stage was OPC tests at Watford. Received another email back late June/early July informing me that they were progressing with a sample of those who had passed and I would be contacted at a later date.

The Don

You should have got an email saying that all places for each location have been filled but you'll be held in the talent pool until they do another recruitment drive

Status
Not open for further replies.