• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
My longest none stop flights are Heathrow to Hong Kong, Aukland to Santiago and Buenos Aires to Heathrow. All weighed in at around 12-13 hours. Really enjoyed them all, just had a few beers and watched films. Thankfully they were all for leisure as I was done in on arrival at each destination. The worst jet lag I had on that trip was after about eight hours from Hong Kong to Melbourne. QANTAS were amazing though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atillathehunn

Established Member
I find feeling at the end of the flight depends on direction of travel round the globe and length. Westward from Asia is always brutal. But then on the ultra long flights it can be ok. It's the red eyes that are the killers. I'm thinking of Addis to Milan (and hence to Brussels), the overnight western Europe to Istanbul (only three hours, but with time zone dumps you there first thing in the morning. Gulf airports to western Europe is also a killer on the overnight.

I'm doing NBO - FCO - NBO for a meeting. I'm not even taking carry on luggage.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have often heard the term Red Eyes used but never understood what it meant, google was not helpful.... Anyone able to enlighten me?

atillathehunn

Established Member
It means a flight that takes off last thing at night and lands first thing in the morning.

Perfect examples are the late night departure from Manchester to Istanbul which gets there at silly o'clock in the morning. Or the flights which depart Dubai at 02.30 and get to Manchester at 07.00. Too short for sleeping, too long for staying awake. The red eyes comes from fatigue as you then have an entire day of meetings ahead

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's also secondarily used to describe the first flight of the day that tends to result in a 3am start, but that's not the original meaning which is as atillathehunn posts. In the US it furthermore often specifically refers to eastbound flights as these might well depart at 2300 and arrive at 0600 but there are only 4 or so hours in that time because of timezone changes.

Clip

Established Member
Anyone ever done any ultra long haul flying? I’m taking Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to New York-JFK next summer. 8,066 miles!

The flight I’m taking also includes a stop in Vancouver (to serve this destination - not a technical or refuelling stop - the 777-300 can actually make it the whole 8,000+ miles!).

Went from cairns to manchester via brisbane singapore and hamburg. 《 think that was the longeat leg but not aure how far it is oflr if it was hamburg. Was def in germany and with an h houh

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Charging for a carryon is Wizz territory...
Even WizzAir have ditched that now. I flew with them the other week (it was only two nights away so a simple backpack sufficed for each of us) and their publicity said that as of Oct 29th it was being increased, looks from their website to be a similar sized mini suitcase as per the rest.

Elwyn

Nose wheel collapse is something that pilots practice on simulators all the time. In my opinion (obviously I don’t know all the facts) the pilot here obviously knew there was a nose wheel fault and circled to burn off fuel and then landed at an airport with a long runway with plenty of distance to make a careful emergency landing. Probably keeping the nose wheel up as long as possible. Only putting it down when the plane had slowed down to a point where there was no lift left. It looks to have been a text book safe emergency landing. Well done pilots!

I landed at Leeds Bradford in the 1980s on a Fokker Friendship which also experienced nose wheel collapse. That I think was unexpected for the pilots because we had no forewarning. The plane lurched forward very suddenly when it happened. The pilot obviously then braked severely, far harder than you normally experience, and we stopped on the runway, with all engines immediately shut down. There was then a short gap whilst (I think) the crew decided whether to evacuate the passengers on to the runway, or just to sit tight till the emergency services came. In the event we sat tight. The only injury on board was from someone hit on the head by flying hand luggage. When the plane stopped, all the over-head lockers burst open, and a lot of the hand luggage up there shot out, and became missiles. Bear that in mind the next time you see someone stick a 40 KG piece of hand luggage in the locker above your head.

atillathehunn

Established Member
These landing gear problems on the Dash 8 are beginning to be a feature, not a bug...

I just flew on the Dash 8-100, landing on a dirt runway. Aviation fuel was delivered to the plane by rolling the barrels along the bumpy, dusty ground. Super sure that's not the SOP

pemma

Veteran Member
It means a flight that takes off last thing at night and lands first thing in the morning.

Perfect examples are the late night departure from Manchester to Istanbul which gets there at silly o'clock in the morning. Or the flights which depart Dubai at 02.30 and get to Manchester at 07.00. Too short for sleeping, too long for staying awake. The red eyes comes from fatigue as you then have an entire day of meetings ahead

Is that 2.30 local time or British time?

About 18 months ago I caught an Air Transat flight which left Toronto at 23:45 and arrived in Manchester at something like 11:45. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to serve a meal at something like 00:30 (Toronto time) and then to serve a snack at something like 09:00 (British time.) I'm pretty sure it's not normal for someone to board a flight departing at 23:45 not having eaten an evening meal!

fowler9

Established Member

About 18 months ago I caught an Air Transat flight which left Toronto at 23:45 and arrived in Manchester at something like 11:45. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to serve a meal at something like 00:30 (Toronto time) and then to serve a snack at something like 09:00 (British time.) I'm pretty sure it's not normal for someone to board a flight departing at 23:45 not having eaten an evening meal!
It is pretty normal for people to eat that late or no late night takeaways or restaurants would exist. Let's face it flying at 36000 feet is already pretty abnormal. Landing in South America before you left New Zealand according to the calendar is pretty abnormal. I've done it though.

pemma

Veteran Member
But normal when you're travelling on a plane which has mood lighting which is supposed to help you adjust to a five hour time difference? I thought late night takeaways quite often cater for those who've had nothing but alcohol for the last few hours.

atillathehunn

Established Member

Dubai time. So about 23.30 British time.

It depends on the airline which timezone they stay in. Sometimes they serve you according to the destination, others the origin. I haven't done a westbound red eye from the Middle East in a while; their fares went up a lot and made it pointless. However, my last Qatar red eye last year was evening meal/snack followed by a breakfast. 02.XX take off 06.XX landing.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've never had an issue on a Dash 8, they are my second favourite craft in my experience. Mostly down to the rather luxurious (compared to Ryanair certainly but especially compared to the horrors of economy on a Norwegian 787-9!) 2+2 layout and most certainly down to the racket they make. If we were basing it purely on noise though, the favourite on the fun factor would be a Let L410. Only ever had one, from Isle of Man to Blackpool, with OK-ASA under the name of Manx2, but it was very interesting!

fowler9

Established Member
I've never had an issue on a Dash 8, they are my second favourite craft in my experience. Mostly down to the rather luxurious (compared to Ryanair certainly but especially compared to the horrors of economy on a Norwegian 787-9!) 2+2 layout and most certainly down to the racket they make. If we were basing it purely on noise though, the favourite on the fun factor would be a Let L410. Only ever had one, from Isle of Man to Blackpool, with OK-ASA under the name of Manx2, but it was very interesting!
That L410 looks lots of fun. I should do it some time. Come to think of it I've never had a Crash-8. Given how many of them fly out of Liverpool I have no excuse.

pemma

Veteran Member
What airlines use a type of plane and which airports they serve are important considerations when talking about how safe a type of plane is.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What airlines use a type of plane and which airports they serve are important considerations when talking about how safe a type of plane is.

Well yes, many of the airlines that operate the L410 are ones that don’t have a lot of money and therefore buy aircraft with dubious safety records. Manx2 were a very dodgy outfit. Any airline with an L410 in their fleet would raise an eyebrow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But normal when you're travelling on a plane which has mood lighting which is supposed to help you adjust to a five hour time difference? I thought late night takeaways quite often cater for those who've had nothing but alcohol for the last few hours.

I must admit I've never understood the way that mood lighting works - rarely is it *actually* artificial dawn/dusk, they tend to use all sorts of silly colours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't like mood lighting either. It's clever but makes zero difference to me.

I don't dislike the idea of fake dawn/dusk at all (indeed I have a fake dawn alarm clock which can if I could be bothered also do a fake dusk, it's remarkably effective for early starts in winter) but the blues, reds, greens and purples are all a bit ridiculous.

atillathehunn

Established Member
How would mood lighting capture my usual long haul flight mood of a fair mix of tired, hungry, vaguely annoyed, and wildly uncomfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.