• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best All Round DMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
What about the 156s then, surely a contender for a multi purpose DMU equally at home on stopping services as well as express services.
My first thought was to suggest the class 156, but then I decided that they are just pipped to the post by the class 150 for the title of the best all round DMU: They are as equally at home working busy inner suburban commuter services, having been the backbone of such services in our two largest provincial cities, Birmingham and Manchester, for twenty years or more, as they are trundling up and down rural branch lines in Wales and Cornwall, catering for the needs of families and hikers. And they've even turned their hand to longer distance regional services fairly regularly too, although they are not perfectly suited to such services but they do have a good go.

The 156, with doors at the vehicle ends, rather falls down when it comes to commuter services, as superb as they are for regional and rural runs.

The 172 probably runs the 150 a close second in the "Best all round DMU" stakes, although it does not surpass it, as they have near enough twice as much power in order to maintain the same rate of acceleration, and are more limited in their application as their 23 metre carriages make them too long for certain routes where 150s have had to be retained in LM territory.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
class 180

They are really comfortable and they can easily cruise 100 possibly above
They're hardly the sort of train that you would expect to be able to turn their hand to almost any duty though, are they? Perhaps that is debateable seeing as Northern utilised three of them on Hazel Grove to Blackpool turns, but I would hardly say that they were the most economical or most appropriate trains for the job.

The 180s are superb Intercity DMUs, if we must have such things, but a good all-rounder they are not.

anthony263

Established Member
My vote has to be for the class 175's they are lovely and comfortable to travel on and the air conditioning does seem to work.

sprinterguy

Established Member
155s all the way. the qualitty to me far better than 156s and nicer to travel on
You have got to be kidding! ;) Door troubles when they were first introduced, windows that are too high up to afford panoramic views unlike on the 156s, ugly rivetted bodysides, problems with body sag, and usually (and I am counting the 153s in with the 155s) fitted with those god awful Chapman seats <( They're also slower to accelerate the 156s, in my experiences.

Better quality than 156s? Pull the other one! ;)

VTPreston_Tez

175s would be my favorite but I just feel the acceleration is a bit slow. It really ruins the time taken to get from Manchester to Llandudno.

185s for me, as I have never rode a 170 or 172, 185s are local units aswell and very comfy, although my only flaw is how one lost part of its front after hitting a small branch. Still though it adds to the enjoyment of the ride!

MCR247

Established Member
MCR, the are comfortable, but a little but claustrophobic in the airline seats, if they where two like gammer seats, but the meridians seat height (or a little lower) then they would be a bit nicer :)

Yeah for me those seats are great but I can 100% see why people wouldn't like them. With seats there is never a definitive yes/no :(

shaun

All those points bar probably 'Reliability'...definitely the Class 180 hands down. It is the perfect Inter-City DMU, suitable for any medium-distance route and the closest we ever got to HST2 in design. If they'd stuck with the design and ordered loco-hauled versions, we could've had them running round as perfectly adequate HST replacements by now.

Suburban DMU has to be the LM Class 172, personally to me only because i've always loved the EMU counterpart Class 377s and don't get them up my way! But even so they're generous for a local service DMU. They could easily run something like Edinburgh - Glasgow with tables fitted.

fgwrich

Established Member
All those points bar probably 'Reliability'...definitely the Class 180 hands down. It is the perfect Inter-City DMU, suitable for any medium-distance route and the closest we ever got to HST2 in design. If they'd stuck with the design and ordered loco-hauled versions, we could've had them running round as perfectly adequate HST replacements by now.

My vote has to be for the class 175's they are lovely and comfortable to travel on and the air conditioning does seem to work.

Same family, so ill say the Adelante for best Intercity DMU, Class 175 for best 'Regional / Cross Country' type services, along with Irish Rails excellent 22000 Railcars - I really really wish we had those over here instead of the 170s, or NIRailways C3Ks too. A Perfect unit which manages to manage the balance between commuter use and long distance Derry to GVS services. Perfect interiors, with a very spacious ceiling - trust me, you can’t feel claustrophobic in these, with good overhead luggage racks too - which unlike Bombardier, you can actually fit items larger than a newspaper in, comfortable seating and Air con that ive found to be perfect, never too warm or freezing cold. Absolutely perfect unit, Well done CAF!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
o dear I seam to have upset sprinterguy. I dont like 156s but can see why I'm in the minoritty both with that and my liking of the 155s. Each to his own a? If discounting 155s then it would, for an all rounder and being totally fare be a 156 with igh back seating or a 158 or 9. I would mention 14x classes but afraid of the reaction!

GNERman

Established Member
I would say that the 158 is up there, judging from all four criteria. I find this evident when one looks at their current and past workings - previous including XC long distance work and TPE routes, currently EMT Liverpool - Norwich, SWT WAT - Exeter and Northern S&C, yet they also work Northern stoppers (Selby-Wakefield to name one) and other slow services, which must show a good design if they can be operated flexibly?

Tracked

Established Member
144's - well, they never seem to get the same amount of criticism as 142's do :lol:

Seriously though, would have to say the 158 (always welcome on local SY services and the interior's are good), or maybe the 185/170

(Want them back? After their reliability down here, Your welcome to have 001 & 002 back you know!)

Perhaps they want a longer route to run on again! I don't like the dark FGW livery on them as I prefer the pleasant old green and blue; and I would welcome them back to work alongside the 172s. All they need is a new interior, similar to the SWT455s. We need some CAF 3000 and 4000 in this country too.

bronzeonion

Best all rounder: Class 170

Although not my favourite DMU (class 165) the 170's work with older units such as Sprinters, are pretty reliable, aesthetically pleasing with the ribbon glazing and nicely designed front end, depending on operator the interiors can be extremely comfortable (XC), others are still not bad unless its GA and acceleration is not something to marvel at but it's not too bad.

The 158's are good too, but they have too many issues like broken air conditioning.

Kneedown

Established Member
Now i've got a bit more time i'll clarify a bit further.
As someone rightly pointed out there is no good all round DMU, as some are better at local stopping services than long distance and vice versea.

I can't comment on types i've never worked or travelled on but from a Drivers point of view on the more modern units..........

150:- Pretty much ok for what they were designed for, ie local stopping services, although acceleration isn't brilliant by todays standards, and gangway doors on the /2's are leaky leaky. Driver comfort poor on longer runs.

153:- Slow, slow, slow. Uncomfortable and cramped in both cabs, not just the small one. Poor vision for driver. They're a lot harder to stop as well as the brakes don't seem to bite as well as other classes, and also take longer to release. Horn has tendency to freeze in cold weather. Leaky leaky gangways again.

156:- Better than a 153, but cabs still cramped and uncomfortable with poor forward and offside vision. No vigilance fitted so easy to drop the DSD unless you consciously keep firm pressure on the pedal. Also sluggish off the mark. cab access door has tendency to fly open if you open cab window on hot day. Leaky leaky gangway doors.

All the above units are also fitted with a sinister device to lock the panel covering the destination blind closed. Anyone who can operate this device consistantly well, without causing the mechanism to fall apart, deserves to be on "The Crystal Maze" as they'd probably win!
In addition, the layout of the passenger doors at the ends of the coaches on a 153 and 156, rather than a third and 2 thirds down the coach as in the 150, mean delays boarding at stations on the frequent stopping routes the units are often used on.

158:- Better cabs than previous but still cramped and uncomfortable on long runs with poor vision. Air-Con failed more often than not. Sluggish off mark and take a long time to reach max speed if reached at all, even the 400hp one's. They don't like climbing hills. Unreliable engines that are prone to shutting down or losing power. On starting up you must check the Alternator circuit breaker in all cabs on the train to make sure none have tripped. Perkins engine models often have to be started locally on the outside, manually pushing the fuel rack operating rod (attached to the engine) as you do, which is a good stretching exercise! Leaky leaky doors.
No dedicated Drivers door, along with 153' and 156's, which means that if you have to get out to contact a Signalman or other reason, you have to clear all the passengers from the vestibule and use the front passenger door, praying that no one re-enters the vestibule and falls out when you re-open the door to get in.

170:- Lovely to drive with good all round vision, comfy seat and all controls within easy reach. Sluggish off mark though, even worse than a Sprinter, and take an age to reach 100. Frequent heating and air-con faults which give you a level 3 fault light when you take the key out. This fault was prevalent from delivery. Crackingly good brakes on /3/5/6 models, although in the Autumn the wheelslide protection has a tendency to use all the air up, resulting in full brake application, often in the most inconvenient of places!
Build quality poor with lots of squeaks, rattles and loose panels in the cab. Tendency to give flash up a level 1 fault light when you brake lightly, requiring an immediate stop and investigation. Not driven a 170 since EMT took over the franchise so i don't know if any of these niggles have been addressed.

222:- Not driven many but i'm unable to fault from a Drivers point of view. Comfy with all controls laid out nicely and good vision. Cab air-con good. Acceleration like a rocket and good brakes too. Great long distance units although the underfloor vibrations are annoying. Mobile reception abysmal in the saloons as well.

Does anyone here drive the 172s? Are they better than the 170s driving wise?

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Hi,

Just interested in terms of:

- Reliability
- Comfort
- Speed
- Design

What people's opinions are on the best all-round DMU?

What about the 156s then, surely a contender for a multi purpose DMU equally at home on stopping services as well as express services.

has to be a 156!! Ive worked 180s (downright awful, especially with no air con!) 156 and 153, along with 170s. The 170s rattle and squeak far too much, the 153s are getting a bit saggy in the middle (bit like my kid's nappies after a while!).
The 156 just keeps on going, they are simple to operate, and you can get more people on compared to a 2 car 170. They are reasonably comfortable too, I have done Glasgow Queen St to Mallaig and return and I didn't have any backache, unlike spending half an hour on a Mallard style seat on East Coast!!

My first thought was to suggest the class 156, but then I decided that they are just pipped to the post by the class 150 for the title of the best all round DMU: They are as equally at home working busy inner suburban commuter services, having been the backbone of such services in our two largest provincial cities, Birmingham and Manchester, for twenty years or more, as they are trundling up and down rural branch lines in Wales and Cornwall, catering for the needs of families and hikers. And they've even turned their hand to longer distance regional services fairly regularly too, although they are not perfectly suited to such services but they do have a good go.

The 156, with doors at the vehicle ends, rather falls down when it comes to commuter services, as superb as they are for regional and rural runs

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll get over it :D I've got to stick up for my much favoured 156s, y'know ;)

Another vote for the 156 as an "all rounder". If I were only having one DMU type at a depot (running a mixture of services) then I'd go for the 156 every day.

Horses for courses, obviously, there are times where the 2/3rds door configuration of a 150/170 etc is more useful, or the higher top speed of a 158/159 is required. But then I wouldn't want to sit on a 150 for a long distance and a 158/159/170 doesn't have great aceleration. Everyone has their own opinions about seats which is why its pointless arguing about them!

The best compliment I can give a 156 is how un-noticed they go. They are like the holding midfielders of the railway - putting in a solid shift but being so reliable that people don't tend to appreciate them. The unsung heroes!

ThirdBrad

Whenever i go to North Wales, i get to travel on the class 175.
They have:
good looks
high speed
plenty of seats
extremely comfortable

They are definitely my favourite DMU.

Best DMU all round... Probably the class 170 turbostars. I know CrossCountry use them on their Nottingham to Derby service, which is very popular, so they're good for long distance services, and LM use them on their local/semi-local services, and they seem to do the trick there. I would say the class 172, but I've never been on a long distance service on a class 172, even though I know they rarely appear on Chiltern's mainline. The 158s I would say are a closer runner up, the class 170 being 100mph faster and a newer train.

Status
Not open for further replies.