• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bi-Linugal Branding/station signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo

Not so last time I was in Cardiff - they just alternated, and where the list of calling points was too long for one screen they had four to work round. If it is desired to have CIS in two languages then someone should pay for having duplicate screens, preferably with different colour schemes too.
The ones for the next trains on the platforms are just in English if I remember correctly. It is just the Main Departure Boards that are Bilingual

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Argosy

At least five ScotRail stations have had all their new signs replaced in the last couple of years, just to amend the Gaelic spellings. That's not cost neutral.

Not sure which five you had in mind but I can add Girvan, Barrhill and Stranraer which were originally replaced in 2009 and then replaced yet again!

The point isn't being anti Gaelic, it is that it is irrelevant where it is not spoken! Lets' add Eboracum under the name York because of its historical importance. It doesn't matter that most passengers aren't fluent latin speakers.:roll:

More than happy to support Gaelic on the WHL, even then I doubt there are many such speakers. The only place I heard it spoken was on the Western Isles.

Llanigraham

Established Member
Not so last time I was in Cardiff - they just alternated, and where the list of calling points was too long for one screen they had four to work round. If it is desired to have CIS in two languages then someone should pay for having duplicate screens, preferably with different colour schemes too.

Why does there need to be dupicate screen or in a different colour? It isn't that difficult to see the difference!

I read some of the comments on here and think of the complaint reportedly made to a tour company from a customer on holiday in Spain, about none of the signs being in english!!

Railsigns

Established Member
Not sure which five you had in mind but I can add Girvan, Barrhill and Stranraer which were originally replaced in 2009 and then replaced yet again!

The five I had in mind were:

Airdrie (An Ard-Ruigh / An t-Àrd Ruigh)
Gourock (Guireag / Gurraig)
Kirkhill (Cnoc Mhoire / Cnoc na Cille)
Partick (Partaig / Pàrtaig / Partaig)
Stranraer (Sròine Reamhra / An t-Sròn Reamhar)

Weren't the signs at Girvan and Barrhill replaced to add the Gaelic names, rather than to correct existing names?

lazydragon

The point isn't being anti Gaelic, it is that it is irrelevant where it is not spoken! Lets' add Eboracum under the name York because of its historical importance. It doesn't matter that most passengers aren't fluent latin speakers.:roll:

More than happy to support Gaelic on the WHL, even then I doubt there are many such speakers. The only place I heard it spoken was on the Western Isles.

If you're putting in York in Scots Gaelic, why not add 'Efrog' so that it is there in Welsh as well. I guess the problem with not putting signs up where the language 'isn't spoken' may not be that cut and dried. Where does the line get drawn - 0% of the town's population speaking the language, 5%, 10%? Doing it throughout the country does at least save long debates and consultations about where that line is placed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Why does there need to be dupicate screen or in a different colour? It isn't that difficult to see the difference!

I read some of the comments on here and think of the complaint reportedly made to a tour company from a customer on holiday in Spain, about none of the signs being in english!!

Maybe it's just me, but I do find the scrolling page 1/page 2 screens infuriating in general. I've just managed to locate the train I want and look across towards the platform number and the thing flips over to show page 2. This is exacerbated when it needs to show two languages as well - I could probably work out the Welsh, but not in the limited time before it changes to show something else. As with the fixed signs, having the different languages in a different colour or font provides a visual clue to help people identify what they want amongst all the irrelevant information. Especially if the colours are consistent across a station or (heaven forbid) across a whole network!

Michael.Y

Established Member
There is precedent - some LCD and CRT screens that show Arrivals tend to be monochrome / b&w whereas departures tend to have yellow numbers and a blue background at the top.

Pigeon

The time taken to change page is too short when you're trying to read it, and too long when you're waiting for the page you want...

Simple answer: use bigger screens so you can get more on. I remember the old departure boards at Paddington where they had a different piece of wood with a poster stuck to it for each possible service and slotted the appropriate one into a post at the end of the platform. They were nice and big. You couldn't get screens that big when they first started using monitors, but they are all over the place now.

TheNewNo2

It amused me no end when Wolverhampton station had adverts for Birmingham City University on its signs.

(Wolverhampton, of course, has it's own University)

Cambridge is home to Anglia Ruskin University, and the university advertised by one south London station is the Battersea Dogs Home.

I think your comment is OTT - the poster concerned was just stating their opinion - there's always one......

Some opinions are racist. Some more than others, obviously, but that doesn't mean that lower level stuff is not racist.

It goes along the same lines as using terms like "throws like a girl". You may not mean anything sexist by it, but the phrase is nonetheless sexist.

Veteran Member
In eastern part of Germany there seems to be still 2 language signs on the platform; German and Lower Sorbian.

Fairly certain that's post 1990, as the previous management discouraged Lower Sorbian (though there were plenty of signs in Cyrillic script to help "visitors" ☺)

Senex

Established Member
Fairly certain that's post 1990, as the previous management discouraged Lower Sorbian (though there were plenty of signs in Cyrillic script to help "visitors" ☺)

No, the DR timetable used Sorbian names and had an introductory section in that language certainly back in the late 1970s.

Howardh

Established Member
Deleted - moved to other thread!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.