• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bletchley Derailment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Chiltern 1H53 was formed of 6 mk3s from the Intercity/virgin rake with 67015 presumably because of the trying to get people on because if the incident

Crossover

Established Member
It was reported that a VT Pendolino operated a local service for London Midland. True or Bow Locks?

Read the thread and you would see that it has been posted a few times - including a LDB screenshot of a 1Zxx local stopping VT Pendolino :P

MK Tom

Established Member
VT operated a half hourly Tring-Berkhamsted-Hemel-Apsley-KL-Watford-Bushey-Euston service. Made for some unusual sights that I hope somebody caught on camera. Pendos stopped at Hemel...

ChristopherJ

true - they worked a shuttle from Tring to Euston as LM had three trains south of MK

Working of the year? :eek:

I find it difficult to imagine that LM only had 3 trains available south of MK at that time of the morning when the incident occured - every occasion I have passed Camden C.S at night the whole yard has been parked with Desiros tucked up in bed. :s

branchline

The starting signal on the up slow has a theatre box with "F" rather than a feather board for the move over to the up fast. It's possible the theatre box could of failed or the driver was unsighted, could explan the speed the loco was going????

Crossover

Established Member
One thing I was going to ask is, are all the local stations the Pendos served today long enough for 9 car services or did SDO have to be employed?

Also with LM having only 3 trains south of MK, given the time of morning is it not likely a sizeable number from the area were at Wolverton works overnight?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Isnt 90046 one of the ones that cought fire last year aswell?

It would appear that was 90042 :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One thing I was going to ask is, are all the local stations the Pendos served today long enough for 9 car services or did SDO have to be employed?

Also with LM having only 3 trains south of MK, given the time of morning is it not likely a sizeable number from the area were at Wolverton works overnight?

All platforms are 12 car , - the way the suburban service works is that all stock is the country end overnight - bar the few late night / am early runners. Obvious really.

Hence LM not much stock south of BY...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

From what i was told by LM today nearly all of thier stock was either at Northampton, on depot, or trapped at Beltchley Carriage Sidings. There were only three units south of MK at the time the problem occured ( c.0200)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
they tend to rest at Bletchley - the depot is closed but the sidings just noth of the station are always in use.

To get to the mains from there you go south, through Bletchley platform 5 or 6, and over the damaged crossing. This meant anything there had to go north to MK before going south again. I think to start with this whole area was under a block

A0wen

On Moderation
I'd have offered to put people in a hotel, then travel very early in the morning (or at a later time if more convenient). Buses for that distance wouldn't be fun, although for some it might be vital to get there on time - so a choice would be nice.

To be fair, passengers don't have to use the bus replacement: National Rail website says

"Sleeper services

This evenings 23:50 London Euston to Glasgow Central and 21:15 London Euston to Fort William / Inverness services are cancelled. Coaches will be provided at 23:50 between Euston and Glasgow (calling at Carstairs), and also between Euston and Edinburgh (direct). Alternatively customers may use East Coast services between London Kings Cross and Edinburgh either on Friday (last train is at 19:30), or on Saturday (first train is at 06:15). Passengers with reservations for these Sleeper service are advised to contact ScotRail Customer Relations on 0845 601 5929 for further advice."

Crossover

Established Member
Silly me...I forgot this is London commuter land where LM run longer trains than VT!

Of course, anything in the CS at BLY would be trapped...in that sense, I guess it couldn't have happened at a worse location

On a semi-related note, I think it is the first time I have seen the NRE Disruption website show a picture of the loco they are trying to rerail!

Silverlinky

Yep, just 3 units south of the incident last night, one of which was the 0134 ex Euston to MK which was stopped just a signal short of the derailment.
Two units are stabled at Euston overnight....no LM units are stabled at Camden overnight, only during the day "off-peak", although LOROL 378's are stabled overnight at Camden.

kettle8632

The starting signal on the up slow has a theatre box with "F" rather than a feather board for the move over to the up fast. It's possible the theatre box could of failed or the driver was unsighted, could explan the speed the loco was going????

I'm more than certain this signal would be a slow approach signal, so should only give the route at the last minute, so why didn't the TPWS kick if the loco approached the signal to fast?

Crossover

Established Member
I'm more than certain this signal would be a slow approach signal, so should only give the route at the last minute, so why didn't the TPWS kick if the loco approached the signal to fast?

The TPWS (if installed, though from the above video stills I think I can see "waffles" around) could have worked for all we know, but may have been too late to slow the loco down enough first

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yep, just 3 units south of the incident last night, one of which was the 0134 ex Euston to MK which was stopped just a signal short of the derailment.
Two units are stabled at Euston overnight....no LM units are stabled at Camden overnight, only during the day "off-peak", although LOROL 378's are stabled overnight at Camden.

I wonder if the access to the CS at Blethcley could be compromised becuase of this derailment.

Wiull this cause problems with stabling/serving trains overnight?

junglejames

Established Member
My other half returned from Birmingham on the 1515 off Moor Street and text me saying she was on an old fashioned train !!
Upon further questioning I found out it was the rake with 67018 and it was packed.
She did comment on how comfortable it was though :lol:

Tell her she nicked my train:D Looks like that set was stepped up at Maylebone, and the Banbury set was left on the 1337. I passed your other half's train just south of Brum. The Banbury set had passengers commenting about the state it was in!! Someone even thought it had just been brought out of storage!

Chiltern did do well today. Virgin 1st class passengers were being given free teas and coffees, even though Business class was pretty much fully declassified on the Silver sets.
Chiltern 1H53 was formed of 6 mk3s from the Intercity/virgin rake with 67015 presumably because of the trying to get people on because if the incident

The Banbury set, which you have mentioned, was load 7, not load 6.

Dampflok

Another shot of 5M11, the diverted ECS of the Glasgow sleepers cancelled at Crewe, running up the Chiltern line, 11:40 from Crewe with 67017 at the head. I assumed that this was to get the stock to Euston for tonight's departure but it would seem not. The train at Haddenham at 13:44, two minutes early:

Also, apart from the extra LHCS vice unit services, there was one diverted freight as well. This was 6X41, 00:32 Dagenham to Garston car carrier, which departed Wembley Yard 612 minutes late. 66079 passing Haddenham at 14:37:

Cheers, Geoff

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
The Banbury set, which you have mentioned, was load 7, not load 6.

T'was a case of close but no cigar. Tbf I was trying to run the length to beat the guard/train manager/conductor lady to the front before she shut the doors without me on as I had to run from 2S56 onto it!

12CSVT

Established Member
Even if the driver had done a brake test when he set off, there is nothing to say that with a drop in temperature during its journey south that the brakes hadn't developed a loss of pressure due to frost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't this a contributing factor in the Carrbridge derailment (involving 66048) a few years ago ?

Tringonometry

.... every occasion I have passed Camden C.S at night the whole yard has been parked with Desiros tucked up in bed. :s

Stop smoking that funny stuff. :roll::roll::roll:
I wonder if the access to the CS at Blethcley could be compromised becuase of this derailment.

Wiull this cause problems with stabling/serving trains overnight?

Should be fine as long as we have the power on. Nothing's booked to go out of the CS to the fasts.

Whistler40145

Established Member
90046 may have had a defect on its TPWS equipment, would this have caused the brakes not to automatically apply themselves when passing the signal protecting the crossover?

If this is found to be the case. This loco is operated by Freightliner, but at present on hire to Virgin, which company would get a roasting for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-driver

Established Member
It wouldn't be out running with a fault on the TPWS. Not at speed anyway. As a fail safe system, any TPWS faults break wire 13 and so you won't get the brakes off. I'm sure the real reasons will come out before long...

Status
Not open for further replies.