• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Board Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
What about the difference in gauges between Britain and Northern / Republic of Ireland?

Well, break-of-gauge is a major issue, but not something that is insurmountable. I imagine an "Enterprise" type service could overcome this problem (probably using a special dual gauge line to access Dublin / Belfast). This is all very long-term though.

WestCoast

Established Member
You lot are just as bad as the (alledged) troll!

You're enjoying this too much!

Yes, but it's not really fantasy as an Irish Sea Rail Tunnel is not unimaginable in the next 100 or so years, especially with the Channel Tunnel having been in successful operation for nearing 20 years now. Yes, it would bring unique challenges and be staggeringly expensive, but who knows what the future will have in store.

Suggestions like every "Village Parkway" having direct trains every hour to London are never going to happen unless the railways become a Personal Rapid Transport system (e.g. the Heathrow Car Park pods).

"Trolling" makes me personally think of posts which are made deliberately to provoke a backlash. For example, a poster about a year ago who kept ranting about students all being alcoholics.

Badger

I'm a huge supporter of an Irish sea tunnel, Isle of Wight tunnel or bridge, and a station at my house. ;)

Actually, on the subject of fantasy doodahs: electrify Birmingham to Leicester. London Midland take over the BHM-LEI service combining it with Liverpool (Liverpool - Leicester, using class 350s). Use the now spare turbostars to lengthen Birmingham - Stanstead trains. Actually that sounds doable!... even if it is simply to give me a direct train from Wolvo to Leicester!

Suggestions like every "Village Parkway" having direct trains every hour to London are never going to happen unless the railways become a Personal Rapid Transport system (e.g. the Heathrow Car Park pods).

On the matter of direct London trains,...

...nobody mention Shrewsbury!

Trolls = bad, but you gotta love this guy:

trollface-copy.jpg

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I could try really hard to enter into the spirit of this fantasy / speculation about what might be possible, even remotely possible. And I could even try to get quite excited about it!

But I'm so sorry, I just can't get that excited.
What I envisage for the future is more fragmentation of the market across suppliers, more retail space in stations and on-board, more refusal of travel (because a passenger is on another network), more covergence of services within a supplier and less inter-availability (e.g. if we chose a Tesco mobile phone+TV+broadband+banking+insurance contract, then it is bundled with Tesco travel. Not useable on EDF services. *)

When we follow the trends in other markets, we see fragmentation and convergence operate in similar ways.
Any new tunnels? I doubt it very much. We're just about to celebrate our biggest infrasructure investment, which is almost complete. That should tell us something about how markets and governments work. What have we got? A new Olympic Stadium (very very useful for a few weeks), another big Tesco, and a rail interchange.

Great, isn't it?

Much as I enjoy the fun on here, I can't find much enjoyment from the industry's future. Perhaps some lobbying now, while the proposal to increase the powers of the Office of the Rail regulator (ORR) are on the table, might avert some of the worst outcomes, but I don't see the signs for any great improvement.

Unless we create a new sub-forum for 'fantasy railways' and just enjoy the chat.

* Tesco and EDF are merely examples. These might as well be illustrated by the Moscow Mafia or any future operator of lifestyle supplies from Asia, Europe, Orient or elsewhere .

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member

This is what I'm thinking right now.....

Anyway, where were we? I think a 'fantasy railways' sub-forum in the 'NR General Discussion' forum should be introduced so that any suggestions which are highly unlikely to be (or will never be) implemented can be discussed without clogging up the forum with discussions about, say, 56s & Mk2 coaches on cross country services vice Voyagers (a thread I made a couple of years back), or a tram/metro/VAL network for *insert name of city*. This is because there's a possibility that extensions to the Manchester Metrolink (such as extending it to Stockport) will be funded, it's highly unlikely that there will be any funding for my pet project, a tram network covering Southampton, Lyndhurst, Sholing and Eastleigh within the forseeable future, unless we elect a VERY pro-rail PM in the near future.

Nonsense

I could try really hard to enter into the spirit of this fantasy / speculation about what might be possible, even remotely possible. And I could even try to get quite excited about it!

But I'm so sorry, I just can't get that excited.
What I envisage for the future is more fragmentation of the market across suppliers, more retail space in stations and on-board, more refusal of travel (because a passenger is on another network), more covergence of services within a supplier and less inter-availability (e.g. if we chose a Tesco mobile phone+TV+broadband+banking+insurance contract, then it is bundled with Tesco travel. Not useable on EDF services. *)

When we follow the trends in other markets, we see fragmentation and convergence operate in similar ways.
Any new tunnels? I doubt it very much. We're just about to celebrate our biggest infrasructure investment, which is almost complete. That should tell us something about how markets and governments work. What have we got? A new Olympic Stadium (very very useful for a few weeks), another big Tesco, and a rail interchange.

Great, isn't it?

Much as I enjoy the fun on here, I can't find much enjoyment from the industry's future. Perhaps some lobbying now, while the proposal to increase the powers of the Office of the Rail regulator (ORR) are on the table, might avert some of the worst outcomes, but I don't see the signs for any great improvement.

Unless we create a new sub-forum for 'fantasy railways' and just enjoy the chat.

* Tesco and EDF are merely examples. These might as well be illustrated by the Moscow Mafia or any future operator of lifestyle supplies from Asia, Europe, Orient or elsewhere .

I like the fantasy thread stuff. I spend a lot of time sat in traffic thinking about what kind of public transport solution would remove all of these other road users so that I could get to where I am need to be a little bit quicker. A fantasy/speculation forum would go down a treat.

jon0844

Veteran Member
All of the trolling problems would go away if the forum was nationalised...

Yew

Established Member

We just need to nationalise the trolling stock operating companies, so we don't pay 250k for a pacer we bought 30 years ago

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think a 'fantasy railways' sub-forum in the 'NR General Discussion' forum should be introduced so that any suggestions which are highly unlikely to be (or will never be) implemented can be discussed without clogging up the forum with discussions about, say, 56s & Mk2 coaches on cross country services vice Voyagers (a thread I made a couple of years back), or a tram/metro/VAL network for *insert name of city*. This is because there's a possibility that extensions to the Manchester Metrolink (such as extending it to Stockport) will be funded, it's highly unlikely that there will be any funding for my pet project, a tram network covering Southampton, Lyndhurst, Sholing and Eastleigh within the forseeable future, unless we elect a VERY pro-rail PM in the near future.

I've argued for this in the past - I'm all for "speculation" and "dream ideas", but due to the mix of industry professionals/ casual enthusiasts/ younger members it may be best for some discussions to have a sub-forum.

For example, if I am reading a thread about Birmingham New Street (or even Barnes...) there's a chance that an informed thread from someone like The Planner can get lost between dozens of posts about how people would build a Monorail through central Birmingham and introduce 390s on the Chase line. I don't mind the "enthusiastic" posts, but there has to be a place for them. Otherwise you end up having a debate about something like "reopening routes" where some people are making a serious point about the business/cost ratio of a short extension and others are wanting to build a hundred mile High Speed line through the Highlands.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I think that the Moderators should all be painted in the same colours to avoid confusing people

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I've argued for this in the past - I'm all for "speculation" and "dream ideas", but due to the mix of industry professionals/ casual enthusiasts/ younger members it may be best for some discussions to have a sub-forum.

I am mindful of the recent posting on the Forum Announcements by our moderator, theblackwatch, which made reference to the fact that the forum has had to purchase extra bandwidth to support an increased forum activity, some of which was caused by "meaningless" threads which were subsequently removed from the forum. It was stated that the situation concerning future similar threads would be under consideration.

martinsh

Established Member
I am mindful of the recent posting on the Forum Announcements by our moderator, theblackwatch, which made reference to the fact that the forum has had to purchase extra bandwidth to support an increased forum activity, some of which was caused by "meaningless" threads which were subsequently removed from the forum. It was stated that the situation concerning future similar threads would be under consideration.

to paraphrase the wartime slogan "is your post really necessary ?"

Ascot

Established Member
I remember a few "memorable" trolls at one point but everything seems to have calmed down. Yeah you get a few "strong viewed" people but they're harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbtc

Veteran Member
Which colour scheme though? I'm in favour of Intercity Swallow personally...

That's fighting talk :lol:

Surely the only colours for the moderating team should be blue and grey, with nothing as fancy as a Swallow :p

This will save us from having to repaint our moderators every few years, which is one of the biggest costs that the forum has.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

I'm not sure a fantasy thread would be meaningless - some ideas on here, whilst fantasy, are very well thought out and deserve to be heard, without clogging up other forums. OK, a thread of stupid proposals I would agree with, but I think a fantasy sub-forum for semi-serious ideas is a good move.

With regard to what theblackwatch was talking about, I think he made it clear what sort of threads would be deleted - I don't think a serious fantasy thread would be one.

table38

Established Member
Actually Popbitch sold out and become too conventional and mainstream... we need something far more edgy and radical

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure a fantasy thread would be meaningless - some ideas on here, whilst fantasy, are very well thought out and deserve to be heard, without clogging up other forums. OK, a thread of stupid proposals I would agree with, but I think a fantasy sub-forum for semi-serious ideas is a good move.

One potential issue with that idea is that I can see it being filled up with stupid proposals anyway, and it would need a disproportionate amount of moderation. :)

Ivo

Established Member
I think a fantasy sub-forum for semi-serious ideas is a good move.

But we suggested that a long time ago and nothing was done about it then. And this was in the days of serious proposals and not Village Parkways!

One potential issue with that idea is that I can see it being filled up with stupid proposals anyway, and it would need a disproportionate amount of moderation. :)

[jk]Leave it to us! :p[/jk]

David

Established Member

You could get 1 of the admins to do a bit of jiggery-pokery in the admincp and make it a private group where people have to apply to join. That way, people get a place to build and imaginary 16 track HS line from Cowdenbeath to Morpeth and the 750m triple deck trains that go with it. It also keeps it off the main forum, so the casual visitor doesn't see it and gets scared away ....

Status
Not open for further replies.