• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Domh245

Established Member
I return , UK economy will gain whopping 0.02% ......

Now now, let's be fair - it's actually 0.025%

Based on the government quote of saving £34 million through removing tariffs, we'll all save on average a whole £1.22 per household - spend yours wisely! (mirror story with the £1.22 figure)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class ep-09

Based on the government quote of saving £34 million through removing tariffs, we'll all save on average a whole £1.22 per household - spend yours wisely! (mirror story with the £1.22 figure)
That £1.22 saving will make my pggy bank burst in seams

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Can anyone remember the time when any such "household savings" comments bandied about in the red tops ever actually reaching the bank accounts of the households referred to?

najaB

Veteran Member
Can anyone remember the time when any such "household savings" comments bandied about in the red tops ever actually reaching the bank accounts of the households referred to?
Nope. Because it's usually accompanied by a tax increase of similar magntitude!

Doppelganger

Not the EU, but yes UK passports will now be stamped upon entering and exiting the Schengen Area, until the introduction of the EU Travel Information and Authorisation System in 2022 or 2023.
There will be stamps for British passport holders across the EU in general, apart from Ireland.

Romania and Bulgaria for instance aren't in Schengen.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It always used to annoy me when travelling to other EU countries that they didn't stamp my passport.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The alternative view: when we were in the EU it wasn't "abroad" - Paris was just as accessible as Preston.

That might be some peoples view, but I have always regarded the continent as "abroad" and I would go so far as to say beautifully exotic as well.

najaB

Veteran Member
That might be some peoples view, but I have always regarded the continent as "abroad" and I would go so far as to say beautifully exotic as well.
Some people in Scotland think that way about London (and in my grandparent's generation they likely would have thought the same about the next town over).

You could, by the way, have asked for a stamp in your passport while we were in the EU.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Some people in Scotland think that way about London (and in my grandparent's generation they likely would have thought the same about the next town over).

You could, by the way, have asked for a stamp in your passport while we were in the EU.

I wish someone had told me at the time :lol:

Annetts key

Established Member
The question though is where do you draw the line. Is the Isle of Man abroad? What about Guernsey? Or Jersey? And what about the British Overseas Territories? Are these considered abroad? Or indeed, what about Republic of Ireland?

You can take a train to France from England, and before Brexit the French were not bothered about your passport. I’m not sure I consider a day trip to France before Brexit really counts as going abroad (especially as the trip takes a lot less time than going by rail to Aberdeen in Scotland for me).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The question though is where do you draw the line. Is the Isle of Man abroad? What about Guernsey? Or Jersey? And what about the British Overseas Territories? Are these considered abroad? Or indeed, what about Republic of Ireland?

You can take a train to France from England, and before Brexit the French were not bothered about your passport. I’m not sure I consider a day trip to France before Brexit really counts as going abroad (especially as the trip takes a lot less time than going by rail to Aberdeen in Scotland for me).

That's an interesting question. When I visited the RoI, I definitely considered it "abroad" although some aspects were familiar, rather than exotic. Jersey/Isle of man I'm not sure. I have a friend from the Isle of Man and his accent definately doesn't suggest he's from abroad.

This isn't a pro/anti Brexit viewpoint btw.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's an interesting question. When I visited the RoI, I definitely considered it "abroad" although some aspects were familiar, rather than exotic. Jersey/Isle of man I'm not sure. I have a friend from the Isle of Man and his accent definately doesn't suggest he's from abroad.

This isn't a pro/anti Brexit viewpoint btw.
Can someone clarify how the countries named above are thought in legal terms by the relevant department of the Westminster-based Government?

najaB

Veteran Member
Can someone clarify how the countries named above are thought in legal terms by the relevant department of the Westminster-based Government?
ROI - independent third country (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
IOM & Channel Islands - self-governing Crown dependencies (Ministry of Justice)
British Overseas Territories - well, as Overseas Territories (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)

Revilo

Today is Brexit’s fifth birthday! A new poll from Savanta Comres shows that one in seven 2016 Remainers would vote not to rejoin the EU, compared to just one in ten Leavers who would. Overall, 51% of those polled would vote against rejoining the bloc in a second vote, with 49% in favour.

Over time we’ll wonder why we ever joined the EU in the first place.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Today is Brexit’s fifth birthday! A new poll from Savanta Comres shows that one in seven 2016 Remainers would vote not to rejoin the EU, compared to just one in ten Leavers who would. Overall, 51% of those polled would vote against rejoining the bloc in a second vote, with 49% in favour.

Over time we’ll wonder why we ever joined the EU in the first place.
The key phrase in that is "one in seven 2016 Remainers would vote not to rejoin the EU".

What about those who have since become old enough to vote?

alex397

Established Member
I’ve seen the Brexit damage exceeds the cost of our EU membership.
All worth it for our ‘freedom’ though right?
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/letters-brexit-damage-7807834

Brexit damage already exceeds cost of EU membership​

Readers have their say on the damage Brexit is causing Britain.

The economic damage of being out of the single market and leaving the customs union already exceeds all the subs we paid to the EU in all the years of our membership. This government are now throwing money at damage limitation.

The cost of sending goods to Germany has gone up by 25%. UK lamb orders for France are being scrapped in favour of sourcing from Spain.

The 20,000-tonne-per-year seed potato trade into the EU continent is now on an EU ban because we are now a separate third country. Also banned is sending to Northern Ireland, which remains under EU regulations. Does the farmer plant or not plant as we approach planting season?

Nobody knows.

Boris Johnson and his DEFRA sidekick George Eustice promised farmers there would be no stripping of funding, which enables UK food to be on the shelf at a favourable customer price. Now they are going flat-out in trashing UK agriculture.
A.D.Gill, Barnstaple

Before we joined the EU, I was a young engineer working for a medical equipment company. We had just made our first sale in France, to a large hospital in Paris. The machine had developed a fault and although our engineers were on site, the technical director, my boss, decided that we needed to be seen to respond quickly. So, I was on a ferry the same evening with a spare unit in the boot, and some hastily prepared paperwork.

The douanes were not happy with my documentation so seized the goods and my passport. I was, in effect, arrested and the goods were impounded! I eventually got my passport back but not until my company had paid a fine by bank transfer of 100,000 francs, then about £10,000 pounds. We joined the EU shortly after that so visiting and exporting to Europe really did become ‘frictionless’.

I feel very sympathetic with those companies and their lorry drivers struggling with post-Brexit paperwork.

When will governments start learning from history? Brexit has set us back over 40 years. Small entrepreneurial companies now face an uphill struggle to sell and support their products in Europe.

Frictionless my foot!
Graham Collins, Builth, Wells

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
That’s still not a very big difference in terms of percentage, indicating that the country is still split.