• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
197120 has had its diagram changed, and will now end at Shrewsbury. Does this mean we have a decent chance of it running to Cardiff tomorrow?

BillStampy

197120 has had its diagram changed, and will now end at Shrewsbury. Does this mean we have a decent chance of it running to Cardiff tomorrow?
It actually ends up back at Chester

Topological

I agree. Lets hope there is no major engineering works planned until its cleared! Also probably less important but they need to clear the Swansea district line too. A usefui diversion for the Cardiff-Carmarthen/Milford's if they do engineering work immediately West of Swansea.

Have Maesteg-Cheltenham officially been cleared for passenger service and its just a case of waiting for more 197s to come into service before they get allocated to this route?
I notice they already closed Cardiff to Bridgend and trains are going round the VoG. Hopefully it will be handed back before the 0525 from Swansea runs over it in the morning.

sd0733

Established Member
Oh for goodness sake.
Gone back in for maintenance again, probably why it was swapped to get it to Chester.

Seems 197118 shouldn't be too far away, now at Chester with all its interior protective coverings removed for handover.

Jez

Established Member
RTT is showing a pair of 3 car 197s doing the 1749 Cardiff to Manchester. I assume this will change as 5 or 6 cars not cleared on this route?

craigybagel

Established Member
RTT is showing a pair of 3 car 197s doing the 1749 Cardiff to Manchester. I assume this will change as 5 or 6 cars not cleared on this route?
It's down as a 2 car + 3 car on the internal systems now, but that'll change. It's booked for 2 units as it splits at Piccadilly, but they'll need to both be 2 car units.

MP393

Yes it will change as still no clearance for 5 or 6 cars unfortunately though it can’t be far off. That working often shows as multiple sets that can’t work together, even 150+197 sometimes etc for example, sometimes right up until it’s departure time where it updates.

sd0733

Established Member
Not far off being before the June TT change?:rolleyes:
Nobody can say at this point. There's seemingly another proving run, this Time with a 5 car instead of 6 car happening to iron out whatever the issues were and then its down to the relevant safety sides to sign it off

childwallblues

Established Member
The 0452 1H80 Holyhead to Manchester Airport was this morning 158838+153909+153312. Nine of us on a Cheshire Day Ranger picked up the return working 0959 from Chester to Shotton LL and travelled on 153909 which was a lovely unit. Passing Chester Depot we saw 197s 110 118 and 120
se

Oh for goodness sake.
Seen it on Chester Depot today.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Nobody can say at this point. There's seemingly another proving run, this Time with a 5 car instead of 6 car happening to iron out whatever the issues were and then its down to the relevant safety sides to sign it off

Fares are so extortionate on the Manchester to Cardiff route. Were it not for the fact that XC isn't all that cheap to Bristol either, I think many would ride XC to Parkway and GWR from there into Wales. I hope that regular 5-6 car running will see the return of cheap Advances on the route.

MP393

I see 197111 is allocated to a Carmarthen to Tenby service at 1909. I assume this is an error?

It’s just allocated to the diagram that includes that service at the moment, so it will show online as working all of the services on that diagram for the day until it’s swapped off. It’ll probably be swapped later on this afternoon if they aren’t cleared for that branch yet

Lurcheroo

Fares are so extortionate on the Manchester to Cardiff route. Were it not for the fact that XC isn't all that cheap to Bristol either, I think many would ride XC to Parkway and GWR from there into Wales. I hope that regular 5-6 car running will see the return of cheap Advances on the route.
I hope soo too! Great to see the extra capacity, so let’s get people using it! I know TFW are looking for ways to generate more income at the moment!

eisenach

Went from Leominster to Chester today for the day. 197s both ways, to Crewe on the way out, and direct on the way back. Gosh, I miss the 175s ! What on earth causes that row on the roof of the 197s ?

As an aside, the 221 Avanti from Crewe was so much nicer than its Cross Country sibling we used from Bristol to Plymouth a fortnight or so ago. I can hardly believe it's pretty much the same train.

PS Several hours later, my back is shot to pieces after the ride back from Chester. It hardly encourages you to use the trains. How can we be going so backwards ?

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
I hope soo too! Great to see the extra capacity, so let’s get people using it! I know TFW are looking for ways to generate more income at the moment!
They could start by having a day rover for the Cardiff to Chester route with people able to hop on/off at will. Being as they have lost a lot of commuters, they should also scrap the 9.30 weekday rule where to travel earlier means higher prices. (A train leaves Cardiff around 9.20am for north Wales and so attracts the higher fare - unless you split at Newport which it reaches after 9.30 - but a lot of potential customers don’t know that).

The West Midlands Day Rover should include the section between Hereford & Shrewsbury with TfW getting a cut.

Anyway, I digress from topic of 197’s so I guess any other comments about boosting business should have a separate thread.

childwallblues

Established Member
They could start by having a day rover for the Cardiff to Chester route with people able to hop on/off at will. Being as they have lost a lot of commuters, they should also scrap the 9.30 weekday rule where to travel earlier means higher prices. (A train leaves Cardiff around 9.20am for north Wales and so attracts the higher fare - unless you split at Newport which it reaches after 9.30 - but a lot of potential customers don’t know that).

The West Midlands Day Rover should include the section between Hereford & Shrewsbury with TfW getting a cut.

Anyway, I digress from topic of 197’s so I guess any other comments about boosting business should have a separate thread.
Your comments are very interesting.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
158818 vice 197 on the Chester-Liverpool services today

That isn’t correct, it isn’t vice a 197, it’s covering one of the diagrams now that the service is hourly. 197008 is on the other diagram (10:47, 12:47, 14:47 etc departures from Lime St).

Jamesrob637

Established Member

One for the Rangers and Rovers thread there.

craigybagel

Established Member
That isn’t correct, it isn’t vice a 197, it’s covering one of the diagrams now that the service is hourly. 197008 is on the other diagram (10:47, 12:47, 14:47 etc departures from Lime St).
But it is booked to be a 197 - indeed the diagram started out with a 197 before a set swap at Chester. The hourly service is booked for 2 x 197.

BillStampy

It might be... I am fairly sure that they have been cleared now... although not yet booked.
It was a double 153 about 20 minutes ago then switched to 197050, probably because the service to Manchester is already 4 coaches. We must wait to see if anything changes

Well that confirms it! The Maesteg branch is clear for 197s! Seeing how 197050 is now at Platform at Cardiff for 2L63!

Last edited: