• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 172's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
I saw one going at a fair old rate towards London through Luton Airport Parkway a while back. But people told me they weren't capable of over 45mph...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've heard that they have solved the problem so presumably that is one of the units that has had the fix applied and is either continuing its testing programme or testing the fix.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've heard that they have solved the problem so presumably that is one of the units that has had the fix applied and is either continuing its testing programme or testing the fix.

I don't think it is fixed. If you stop the vid you can still see the combined vertical exhaust between the carriage ends. The solution is to run the exhaust through the saloon by one of the doors.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Had a ride on 172005 (I think) on the Goblin yesterday. Air conditioning was very cold and passengers were complaining. Also hearing the mechanical transmission was very strange, hearing the gears change sounded almost like a bus.

the sniper

Established Member
According to Roger Ford (aka Captain_Deltic) via Twitter today:
Class 172 exhaust 'problem' is not a problem says LOROL. Tests were flawed apparently and mods will not be needed after all.

Bizarre, heh? Looks like Derby can build decent trains then, they just can't test them properly... :p

Fincra5

Established Member
Off topic really but why are the 172s mechanical, rather than hydraulic transmission, like the other turbostars?

WatcherZero

Established Member
How can a vehicle engine choking at 2/3rd its planned max speed be a testing issue?

the sniper

Established Member
Looking on Roger Ford's Twitter page again, he has subsequently said that the 'exhaust pressure readings were taken in the wrong location'. :|

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
All three GOBLIN diagrams today were 150s. All the 172s ( apart from the one not delivered and the one that ran back to Derby ) appeared to be on shed at Willesden.

Status
Not open for further replies.