• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snookertam

I can't without risking my job. However folk are posting statements taken from news articles as 'facts' without any idea of their veracity.
In fairness that's the only info they have. Appreciate that you can't say what this issue is, but I think we can all take from the tone that the issue is serious, and I think we can guess it of a 'wrong side' (not fail safe) nature.

This happened only a day or so after ScotRail's big press release about new services and longer trains. That is incredibly bad luck.

MK Tom

Established Member
I appreciate a definitive answer may not be possible here, but if I were to visit Glasgow some time in November, will I be able to see/ride any 314s and if so, on which lines? Or to put it another way, when is the final withdrawal date? Thanks.

youngac

I appreciate a definitive answer may not be possible here, but if I were to visit Glasgow some time in November, will I be able to see/ride any 314s and if so, on which lines? Or to put it another way, when is the final withdrawal date? Thanks.

There should be plenty around in November as full withdrawal isn't expected to take place until sometime between December and May. A few diagrams may have been withdrawn by then but as of now you're most likely to see them on Neilston and Paisley Canal services as they cover most but not all services there. They can also be seen some on Cathcart Circle, Newton, Gourock and Wemyss Bay services.

AndyB92

Was passing through Glasgow Central at lunchtime yesterday (5 Oct) and 201 (Gourock), 202 (Paisley), 209 (Cathcart) and 216 (not sure - left before I could get to it but in on Platform 7) were all in the station
s!AgIptaKitelBjYQFXEkFEus5QSN6bQ

Last edited:

Christmas

Unidentified SPT liveried 314 in the sheds at Corkerhill on Thursday evening, covered in graffiti and awaiting cleaning. Perhaps it happened at Yoker but there has been a big increase in these huge tags covering entire trains.

Bod

Thanks youngac, I was told on Saturday that 203 is back but was on local work only which confused me somewhat. I don't know if that means it can't do Gourock and is restricted to the Neilston peak diagram so maybe someone can clarify if it is a weakling?

Bod

It is highly likely that 203 will go before the three that have been reinstated unless work is done on it. My dilemma is do I go all the way back for 203? That might be a foolish act in that it is probably last choice to be used, so it could do nothing again whilst I am there. I would imagine the 1718 Neilston diagram is the only hope as I imagine it won't do the Circle if it interworks with Gourock's.

SC318250

314213 reported on Scotrail as back in service tonight

Dont know if Shields have spare traction motors for the 314 units.
Wouldnt suprise me to see it repaired or if 314212 is nearly out of mileage then maybe a swap with 203?

SC318250

Is it a strict mileage basis for a bogey change, or could additional mileage be done, on a restriction basis.. eg couple of peak Cathcart/Newton as in lower speed diagrams?

DanNCL

Established Member
203 and 207 are currently paired on a Cathcart Circle service - at a guess seeing as they're both expected to be withdrawn imminently they've possibly been paired in preparation to move to Yoker once the 385s are back in use? Or is it more likely just a coincidence that they're paired?

youngac

If the 385s are back in service by next week will the withdrawal of the units resume or will they be kept in reserve?

route101

Established Member
It is highly likely that 203 will go before the three that have been reinstated unless work is done on it. My dilemma is do I go all the way back for 203? That might be a foolish act in that it is probably last choice to be used, so it could do nothing again whilst I am there. I would imagine the 1718 Neilston diagram is the only hope as I imagine it won't do the Circle if it interworks with Gourock's.

Seen a 320 set on the 1718 a few times .

youngac

I’ve seen 203 in Central quite a lot over the past few days. I’ll let you know if I see it again and what service it’s carrying out.

Fleetwood Boy

The one with bad graffiti was 205. Still in service with the graffiti in place on the roof, showing how hard the fleet is working just now.

So the graffiti must not have happened at Yorker, as 205 was never withdrawn.

If your at the end of platform 11 or 10 your well out the way .

You're not allowed to go to the end of platform 11. You can only go as far as the stone wall at the end of the roof. Network Rail and BTP regularly patrol it and request spotters to head back down the platform. There's a sign on the wall advising that people are not allowed past the wall unless boarding a train.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
If you are just spotting, the end of P1/2 is best - not barriered and you get 390s etc there, so people are often moving along the length of the platform. Might well need binoculars for stock on the far platforms though.

For photography, it can be harder, most platforms are individually barriered. If you get a Strathcylde Roundabout ticket, you can get through the barriers, but might need help to get back out (must be some sort of time restriction on them), but none of the staff seemed particularly bothered when I did this a few times.

Bod

Thanks to those who have commented on 314203. I assume it is no longer restricted as I heard it was out on Saturday on Newton's and I don't suppose it would work at weekends if restricted. I hope to get it at the end of the month when I next visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.