• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377/7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SN319

Anyone know where 377706 is working today?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any 377/7s out todayv

377701-377705 are all most certainly going to be out today. Two units are likely to be on the Milton Keynes jobs and the other three on Metro routes via Sutton to Epsom/Epsom Downs.

LBSCR Times

Anyone know where 377706 is working today?

377701-377705 are all most certainly going to be out today. Two units are likely to be on the Milton Keynes jobs and the other three on Metro routes via Sutton to Epsom/Epsom Downs.

703 and 704 are on the MKC services.

703 is on the 18.13 from MKC.
704 is on the 19.17 from MKC.

hassaanhc

Established Member
377/6+377/7 each on
1606 London Victoria to Brighton
1607 London Victoria to Sutton (Surrey)

Seen from a distance at Clapham Junction

Established Member
707 and 708 (I think) did one test run to Rugby early this morning but went back to Stewarts Lane around 11:00; not sure if they have completed their testing or if there was another reason for finishing so early.

Class377/5

Established Member
377/6+377/7 each on
1606 London Victoria to Brighton
1607 London Victoria to Sutton (Surrey)

Seen from a distance at Clapham Junction

The 16:06 Victoria to Brighton was formed of 377158/474. The late running 16:01 Victoria to Dorking (7L at Clapham) was formed of a 377/6 + /7.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 5 car 6's with the power sockets would be ideal on the coastal services, plus they looked like having a larger first class area.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On 377 702

377702 0913 Milton Keynes Central to South Croydon
377701 1013 Milton Keynes Central to South Croydon
377704 1113 Milton Keynes Central to South Croydon
377703 1008 South Croydon to Milton Keynes Central

Other observations

377604 1023 London Victoria to Epsom Downs
377605 1031 London Victoria to Horsham
377610 0958 Dorking to London Victoria
377626 1053 London Victoria to Epsom
377623+377622 1019 Brighton to London Victoria

Last edited:

SN319

Saw a poster at Clapham Junction stating "25% more train" with a picture of a train carriage.

Wording said something along the lines of "by late summer most sevices on the WLL will be increased to five carriages to ease congestion and overcrowding. Some other services will double to eight carriages"

physics34

Established Member
Saw a poster at Clapham Junction stating "25% more train" with a picture of a train carriage.

Wording said something along the lines of "by late summer most sevices on the WLL will be increased to five carriages to ease congestion and overcrowding. Some other services will double to eight carriages"

Yup, some 8 car 377/2s

Kite159

Veteran Member
Was on 377702 which terminated into platform 10 at Watford Junction.

(And now sat on 321413 with its 2001 dated London Connections posters when it was silverlink!)

Anyhow, seats are similar to other 377s in being rather hard, can't imagine doing a long journey on those seats. Might sit in the 'first class' section heading back to clapham to see if they are any different (doubt it).

I occasionally board the 1722 from Olympia and take it as far as Clapham and it's always a 377/2. It is nothing short of terrible - I regularly find myself stuck under someone else's armpit and some people aren't even able to board the train there or at West Brompton.

Having that extra coach would make such a difference and without trying to de-rail this too much, extending the train length seems to be their only option as they have no plans to introduce double tracks anywhere along the WLL, as covered in this fantastic article here.

I have seen works going on at West Brompton and Imperial Wharf as of late - presumably lengthening the existing platforms to accommodate the extensions to the 378s and the new 377s.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Having that extra coach would make such a difference and without trying to de-rail this too much, extending the train length seems to be their only option as they have no plans to introduce double tracks anywhere along the WLL, as covered in this fantastic article here.

Indeed. I am a commenter there - I contacted TfL to plead with them to leave passive provision for four-tracking the WLL so Southern's services could run semi-fast along with freight at a future date (leaving the new "slow" lines to a more frequent LO service), but it all fell on deaf ears. Too much £££ to be gained from that strip of land for making someone's new garden a bit wider.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Any particular reason 2 of the seats in the first class section on 377704 are different fabric than the rest?

Nice trains, shame about the rock hard seats, I wouldn't like to do Milton Keynes to Clapham on them

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
They'll be the priority seats. I did Milton Keynes-Clapham on a 377/7 the other week. I didn't find it too bad.
I have seen works going on at West Brompton and Imperial Wharf as of late - presumably lengthening the existing platforms to accommodate the extensions to the 378s and the new 377s.
All the platforms have already been extended to allow 5-car 377s and 378s. The current extensions are to allow 8-car 377/2s.

scoi

Whereas the extra carriage has made a significant impact of some routes, probably around 10-20 standing per carriage on most services. The high peak trains coinciding with a 9-5 job are still bursting from Shepherd's bush to the extent where passengers are being stranded.

If the 8 car trains are brought on these 3 times then all will be fine for a few years until passenger numbers increase again. From Wembley northwards there are always plenty of seats.

What needs to happen is to increase the frequency from Wembley through London otherwise there will be empty trains heading to MK which is a waste of capacity. I know this was previously discussed as an option but no movement has been seen so far.

The crawl from Shepherd's Bush to Wembley is already painfully slow so there is obviously no ability to add more services to this line at present.

What would also be useful is if the WLL route is timed to get to Watford to allow a change to the semi-fast LM train which goes direct to MKC or with one stop at LBZ.

It seems that the whole network is getting to the stage that the current timetables need to be ripped up and start again, rather than the 1 minutes tweaks that currently happen every 6 months.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What needs to happen is to increase the frequency from Wembley through London otherwise there will be empty trains heading to MK which is a waste of capacity. I know this was previously discussed as an option but no movement has been seen so far.

You shouldn't expect any movement so far really, because it was clear from the NR source (in the London and SE RUS) that the 8 car trains all day will not be possible until suitable rolling stock is released by the arrival of enough Thameslink units, and the increased frequency is also constrained by both the availability of more units (for the same reason), and the requirement to re-write the WCML timetable to suit the change.

However, having said all that, the latest route information from the new Govia TSGN franchise doesn't actually mention the frequency, just more carriages:

A similar service pattern is planned for the West London
Line to that provided currently; with some further additional
carriages to those currently being introduced by Southern.

I wonder if that is the end of the 2 tph up the WCML that was expected...

Class377/5

Established Member
Certainly talk has been of the 2tph Southern WLL services being one Milton Keynes and one Watford Junction. This would require 12 units plus spares to achieve.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Certainly talk has been of the 2tph Southern WLL services being one Milton Keynes and one Watford Junction. This would require 12 units plus spares to achieve.

Running the second service only as far as Watford Jn has been a consistent option, (I'd still call that 'up the WCML') but the main point I was making is that the recent route by route info provided on the GTR site no longer seems to include the possibility of 2 tph at all...

Class377/5

Established Member
Running the second service only as far as Watford Jn has been a consistent option, (I'd still call that 'up the WCML') but the main point I was making is that the recent route by route info provided on the GTR site no longer seems to include the possibility of 2 tph at all...

Agreed. Seems they gone for more 8 cars. Perhaps that's in reaction to tying to run all Victoria peak outer services as 12 cars means they need the stock there now?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Agreed. Seems they gone for more 8 cars. Perhaps that's in reaction to tying to run all Victoria peak outer services as 12 cars means they need the stock there now?

Could be - I guess the details of the decision making will be teased out of them eventually.

physics34

Established Member

its gone a little quiet on that front lately. Problems with pathing maybe. I was meant to be one of a group of extra Norwood depot drivers to sign to Watford, but thats gone all quiet over the past couple of months.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
its gone a little quiet on that front lately. Problems with pathing maybe. I was meant to be one of a group of extra Norwood depot drivers to sign to Watford, but thats gone all quiet over the past couple of months.

Just checked the various Capacity and TSR tables that came with the TSGN ITT, and there's nothing more than the single tph north of Shepherds Bush. It implies that nearly all the peak extras currently provided can continue to be operable by DC rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.