• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Mock up not happening this week according to tweet from MR. Will be shown at a later date.

the sniper

Established Member
Thanks chaps. I thought it odd that there'd not been more hype given it was only supposed to be a day away!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When SWT's drivers start their training on them will they have to do a full course or is enough aspects of the 707 close enough to the 444s/450s that they'll only have to do a partial course

nlogax

Established Member
When SWT's drivers start their training on them will they have to do a full course or is enough aspects of the 707 close enough to the 444s/450s that they'll only have to do a partial course

Also, would 707s be able to work in multiple with 444/450s? Electrics-aside, the cab-ends looks like they may nix that possibility.

Monty

Established Member
Also, would 707s be able to work in multiple with 444/450s? Electrics-aside, the cab-ends looks like they may nix that possibility.

The 707s will not be able to work in multiple with the existing Desiro fleet.

No word on when training starts for either drivers or guards, there is still quite a bit to do before delivery to SWT.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I'd have thought that only a few selected depots will be trained on them anyway, as they're meant to be used pretty much exclusively on the Windsor side services.

So certain depots on the mainline side won't drive them, just like they don't do 458s anymore, not that I'm complaining. I suspect that the inner depots will be transferred to TfL in the future anyway, along with the 707s.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the 707s be having their own dedicated depot where Siemens maintain them?

Clansman

Established Member
Not seen any of the pics yet, I can just tell the sets will have the Ironing Board seats...

Bigfoot

I'd have thought some work possible at Strawberry Hill too, wasn't some of the commissioning of 450s done there?

Commissioning will take place at clapham according to various people. One of the reasons for the new pit road.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will they be getting pans just for the testing (with removal once testing complete) or will Siemens be testing them purely as DC units?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will they be getting pans just for the testing (with removal once testing complete)...

That ^^.

It'll probably be found somewhere earlier in the thread - or maybe I saw it in another forum. I think it was juts a couple would be fitted to gain type approval, the main production run wouldn't be fitted with pans.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Not seen any of the pics yet, I can just tell the sets will have the Ironing Board seats...

I would hope that they do as they are high density metro trains and new trains should have 'posture correct' seating anyway.

Class377/5

Established Member
bit of an odd consist. three carriages of a five car unit and two from a 16-car unit.

Its a move from the Krefield factory to the testing facilities. Krefield isn't big enough to form up full units so parts are shipped out as they are finished to make room for more. Makes sense they would put as many finished carriages on the moves as possible.

Will they be getting pans just for the testing (with removal once testing complete) or will Siemens be testing them purely as DC units?

First two units are reported as getting pans for testing. They will be removed prior to them being sent to the UK.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I would hope that they do as they are high density metro trains and new trains should have 'posture correct' seating anyway.

I was rather hoping they would have the Grammer seats that SWT have standardised on. At least they have a degree of comfort, unlike the Fainsa ironing boards.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Once enough of them are eventually delivered and into service, will that free up enough 450s for the Lymington branch to always be a 450? Would it be worth SWT ordering a single unit 4 car version (don't know if a 5-car would fit) for the Lymington branch with routine maintenance being done at Northam (think that's what the maintenance depot is called near Southampton, with heavier maintenance being done wherever the rest of the 707s will have it done?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Once enough of them are eventually delivered and into service, will that free up enough 450s for the Lymington branch to always be a 450?

Completion of the 458/5 mods was supposed to allow the Lymington Branch to be 450 operated 7/7, it was announced early last year in the Lymington local press.

This matter has been covered in a number of previous threads; I pointed out somewhere that the diagrams were changed to EMU all week in time for the Dec 15 timetable, and were then changed back to DMU at the last minute. If it doesn't go 450 during this year, as the 458/5 programme completes, it'll still be able to go 450 when the 707s arrive anyway.

Using a single 707 down there would seem to be typical of your usual over the top solutions. Not realistic at all.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Completion of the 458/5 mods was supposed to allow the Lymington Branch to be 450 operated 7/7, it was announced early last year in the Lymington local press.

This matter has been covered in a number of previous threads; I pointed out somewhere that the diagrams were changed to EMU all week in time for the Dec 15 timetable, and were then changed back to DMU at the last minute. If it doesn't go 450 during this year, as the 458/5 programme completes, it'll still be able to go 450 when the 707s arrive anyway.

Using a single 707 down there would seem to be typical of your usual over the top solutions. Not realistic at all.

Not to mention Siemens has no long term maintenance agreement in place for the 707. It's SWT doing the maintenance for the 707 so I suspect a special one unit deal wouldn't be cheap as some would suspect.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not to mention Siemens has no long term maintenance agreement in place for the 707. It's SWT doing the maintenance for the 707 so I suspect a special one unit deal wouldn't be cheap as some would suspect.

Not forgetting also that the 707s are almost guaranteed to be transferred to TfL control within a couple of years after arriving.

Class377/5

Established Member
Not forgetting also that the 707s are almost guaranteed to be transferred to TfL control within a couple of years after arriving.

Not guaranteed at all. This common misunderstanding is that it's a hand over. SWT could still operate the units. All TfL is proposing to do under this consultation is control the Standards etc not fully control the service a la LO. Separate business units is what the next SW franchise has to achieve. Don't forget GTR has four separate business units but isn't stopping stock moving between them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not guaranteed at all. This common misunderstanding is that it's a hand over. SWT could still operate the units. All TfL is proposing to do under this consultation is control the Standards etc not fully control the service a la LO. Separate business units is what the next SW franchise has to achieve. Don't forget GTR has four separate business units but isn't stopping stock moving between them.

That's right, which is exactly why I wrote 'TfL control', rather than 'transfer'.

I'm well aware of the concept of a separate business unit , but didn't want to over complicate the reply. In any case it seems likely such a business unit wouldn't want to be responsible for the Lymington Branch stock.

In addition, it is a branch with a first class service, in blue and white train land, so 707s just wouldn't be right... :D

D6975

Established Member

Quite, even a 4 car 450 is OTT if a 2 car 158 is currently considered adequate.
If you were to use a short emu, then a 456 could do it. That then introduces other problems though like crew training, diagram swapping etc.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The DfT might specificy they want so many 707s to the point where all the 707s would be spoken for (units needed for service + those undergoing maintenance). My gut feeling is that the 707s will end up being used just on the routes that the DfT are going to take over.

Not sure that 456s would be any good on the Lymington branch due to the level crossing and the risk of them getting gapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.