• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

liamf656

There's a discussion about changing the dates about when timetables are implemented here https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...december-chosen-for-timetable-changes.240578/
Thanks for the prompt reply!
This may have been mentioned before but I don't have time to read 51 pages of posts. Will there be a buffet on these trains or will it be a trolley service only? I was on a 180 the other day and they said they had withdrawn the trolley service and that only first class would get complementary food and drink and that was that.
Back to the topic at hand, the 810s won’t have buffet bars, but will have a trolley service and a cupboard to store the trolley. Since covid happened the contract terms had changed so not all services are covered by standard class catering now, only 90% of trains between 7am and 10pm with some gaps here and there. Chances are your 180 service was just one of the unlucky ones

Established Member
From the

Back to the topic at hand, the 810s won’t have buffet bars, but will have a trolley service and a cupboard to store the trolley. Since covid happened the contract terms had changed so not all services are covered by standard class catering now, only 90% of trains between 7am and 10pm with some gaps here and there. Chances are your 180 service was just one of the unlucky ones
From the pictures I’ve seen, one of me coach has 2 windows blanked out, wonder if it is a small galley like on TPE units.

RailWonderer

Established Member

I've checked the latest timetable and it makes no mention of which services these will be, which is a shame. They treat it like an afterthought and their stance is to be grateful a train is running short formed and not cancelled.

Jammy Dodger

Is there any reason why the nose has been modified? Given how much 800-807's have been ordered with the same nose, it's obvious it isn't a necessary requirement...?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why the nose has been modified? Given how much 800-807's have been ordered with the same nose, it's obvious it isn't a necessary requirement...?

It's a shorter vehicle so a different design was needed. The nose isn't (it appears) quite as long as the 26m 80x nose. I quite like it to be fair.

TreacleMiller

From what I understand they needed to save length, to drop it down from the 260m that it would if operating in a 5+5 mode.

Nose looks much more aggressive and the driver will have much better vision of the where the front end is compared to what we have in the 800s. Be interesting to see the cab layout.

irish_rail

Established Member
From what I understand they needed to save length, to drop it down from the 260m that it would if operating in a 5+5 mode.

Nose looks much more aggressive and the driver will have much better vision of the where the front end is compared to what we have in the 800s. Be interesting to see the cab layout.
This is a fair point. The vision from the 800 cab is rather poor due to the long nose, but even more because of the ludicrously high desk (not to mention the thick block of carpet that sits completely blocking drivers view! Hopefully this is all remedied or improved for EMR

Established Member
This is a fair point. The vision from the 800 cab is rather poor due to the long nose, but even more because of the ludicrously high desk (not to mention the thick block of carpet that sits completely blocking drivers view! Hopefully this is all remedied or improved for EMR
The vision from an 800 cab is perfectly fine, as for the ‘thick carpet’ as a driver it’s hardly noticeable.

irish_rail

Established Member
The vision from an 800 cab is perfectly fine, as for the ‘thick carpet’ as a driver it’s hardly noticeable.
Hmmmm thats a matter of opinion. Case of a fatality near Plymouth this week and no one is sure which train hit the person. Why? Because frequently driving a class 80x you hear a bump at the last minute , and 99 percent of the time it is a bird that has flown out at the last moment giving a big bang. But because of the poor view from close up the driver cannot actually see what we are hitting. Countless times I hear the bang but haven't actual seen anything due to the poor visibility. I also assume you must be about 6ft 6 if you find the carpet doesn't get into your field of vision!

QSK19

TreacleMiller

The vision is absolutely fine, just got to judge the nose a fair bit more than a 91. Desk height and everything else is fine.

Killingworth

Established Member
I'm intrigued by the idea of carpet impeding the view. I'm sure others who don't drive the trains would love to see a picture of this strangely positioned carpet.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm intrigued by the idea of carpet impeding the view. I'm sure others who don't drive the trains would love to see a picture of this strangely positioned carpet.
Absolutely! Let's see what is being complained about!
A quick Google of 'Class 800 cab' indicates that there is a 'carpeted' section located centrally at the top of the console:
And in closeup here:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A quick Google of 'Class 800 cab' indicates that there is a 'carpeted' section located centrally at the top of the console:
And in closeup here:

I've always assumed that the purpose of said soft area is to protect the driver's head in the event of a collision? Though would an airbag be better?

LowLevel

Established Member
It's not particularly unusual. In the event of sudden stop or collision it is designed to cushion the driver's head rather than have them headbut the desk.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I wonder if we could ask for a piece of lawn instead of a carpet

Who would maintain said lawn? Imagine the depot crew turning up with a mini mower! :lol:

I see what is meant by the carpet, definitely a useful feature should it ever be necessary, however that must be a bit irritating too!

TreacleMiller

The A trains can be driven stood up and so can the 800. When you ask what it's for heard everything from it being a bit of protection for your head (nope) or somewhere to hold while stood - which is more believable.

Dont notice it really when driving, but a bit annoying when coupling up.