• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Given that the route is single track in places, that there’s an hourly passenger service and heavy traffic from the port terminals, it absolutely does matter.

It’s hard to escape the conclusion that the 93 is a solution looking for a problem.
I can only think using a 93 will help streamline operations at Ipswich by removing the need for a locomotive change. The batteries and diesel might be enough to get the train up to line speed on the Felixstowe branch - it is hardly the West Coast Main Line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
As for a solution looking for a problem, somebody has put up a considerable amount of money for their manufacture. There must have been a satisfactory business case to justify such investment. I'm looking forward to seeing them in revenue-earning service.

I think "43096" has it right. The class 93 is an incredibly expensive super 88, with additional toys on board. Just remind us how intensively the class 88s are diagrammed - and they are owned by a freight haulier rather than "spot hire merchants", admittedly with a lot of stock to shift. IIRC one of the SDRS 88s had been stopped for the best part of a year. That is a lot of cash sat in a yard doing nothing.

In response to "Nottingham59" it rather depends which speeds you refer to. Provided a 93 has a good dry rail it may well whisk a 1500 tonne intermodal over the Cumbrian fells at 60mph, which is probably twice what a 66 would manage. Conversely though, with a poor rail in November your class 66 "tortoise" might well outperform the class 93 "hare" in terms of keeping the train rolling.

Like you, I would like to see them in service - indeed the full 30 rather than ten and twenty options, but I am not holding my breath.

I am sure somewhere it was quoted the battery lasts 5 minutes. That's quite a long acceleration period. If it can charge the battery once the train is upto speed utilising the additional engine capacity as the lower requirement tapers off (not including regen charging) then it may well prove to be a very useful loco that will actually prove it to be a very capable loco that is providing a solution to a very real problem* of terminals not wired and gaps on the wiring across the network.

Time will tell and the time is very close.

*The problem of electric traction gaps in wires and unwired terminals was on Sky news 9th December.

Mollman

Established Member
It’s hard to escape the conclusion that the 93 is a solution looking for a problem.
I think it is more an exasperation at the lack of future electrification plans. We shouldn't need the 93 but with no likelihood of Felixstowe - Ipswich / Birmingham, Basingstoke - Nuneaton or Peterborough - Lincoln - Doncaster being electrified in the next 10 years we need something to reduce diesels under the wires.

On Moderation
I think it is more an exasperation at the lack of future electrification plans. We shouldn't need the 93 but with no likelihood of Felixstowe - Ipswich / Birmingham, Basingstoke - Nuneaton or Peterborough - Lincoln - Doncaster being electrified in the next 10 years we need something to reduce diesels under the wires.
GBRf's Class 99 is what is needed for that job. 6.25MW under the wires, 1.8MW (Type 4 equivalent) diesel capability and 500kN starting tractive effort. That's a proper freight hauler.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Given that the route is single track in places, that there’s an hourly passenger service and heavy traffic from the port terminals, it absolutely does matter.
You're right of course. I had forgotten the single track. But what I said does apply to branch lines to ports like London Gateway, where time taken on the unelectrified section really does not matter.

The problem is slow freight trains on the busiest lines in the country lacking power and acceleration, and thereby eating capacity needed for passenger services.

I am sure somewhere it was quoted the battery lasts 5 minutes.
It's two 40kWh batteries, so a theoretical 12 mins at 400kW. That equals the kinetic energy of a 300 ton passenger train at 96mph. Or a 1000t intermodal at 55mph.

Last edited:

WAB

I think "43096" has it right. The class 93 is an incredibly expensive super 88, with additional toys on board. Just remind us how intensively the class 88s are diagrammed - and they are owned by a freight haulier rather than "spot hire merchants", admittedly with a lot of stock to shift. IIRC one of the SDRS 88s had been stopped for the best part of a year. That is a lot of cash sat in a yard doing nothing.
Does DRS have a very high utilisation rate for its other locos?

Peddles88

Does anyone know if 93001 is still going to move to Crewe tomorrow despite the stock not making it from Great Yarmouth yet?
Thanks

gingertom

Established Member
You're right of course. I had forgotten the single track. But what I said does apply to branch lines to ports like London Gateway, where time taken on the unelectrified section really does not matter.

The problem is slow freight trains on the busiest lines in the country lacking power and acceleration, and thereby eating capacity needed for passenger services.

It's two 40kWh batteries, so a theoretical 12 mins at 400kW. That equals the kinetic energy of a 300 ton passenger train at 96mph. Or a 1000t intermodal at 55mph.
does that mean it could haul a bunch of MK5s from Oxenholme to Windermere and back?

Bertie the bus

Established Member
As for a solution looking for a problem, somebody has put up a considerable amount of money for their manufacture. There must have been a satisfactory business case to justify such investment. I'm looking forward to seeing them in revenue-earning service.
does that mean it could haul a bunch of MK5s from Oxenholme to Windermere and back?
You are really grasping at straws in trying to argue the 93s are the loco everybody is looking for.

First you claim there must have been a compelling business case to justify their existence and then talk about them being used on the Windermere branch.

gingertom

Established Member
You are really grasping at straws in trying to argue the 93s are the loco everybody is looking for.

First you claim there must have been a compelling business case to justify their existence and then talk about them being used on the Windermere branch.
What a strange reply. Have you seen the business case? Revenue-earning service of any type is to be welcomed to see a return o the investment. If not I'm sure the shareholders will have something to say.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
What a strange reply. Have you seen the business case? Revenue-earning service of any type is to be welcomed to see a return o the investment. If not I'm sure the shareholders will have something to say.
OK, I'll spell it out for you. You claim there is obviously a compelling business case. Are you suggesting this business case included a totally bizarre suggestion of using them on Windermere shuttles? Are you suggesting there is more than a 0.000001% possibility of Northern using 93s and Mk 5s on Windermere services? If not then it is fairly obvious you are just making up possible uses for them, even if those possible uses will never happen or ever be considered.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Alternative view: pesky passenger trains screwing up freight trains (and soaking up subsidy money like a sponge).
(Guess which bit of the railway I used to work in :D)
Pat

On Moderation
It's interesting to compare the Class 88s and the Class 93s.

First 88 delivered 22.01.2017. First revenue earning run 12.06.2017. So under five months to first revenue generating working.
First 93 delivered 28.06.2023. No sign of a test run, indeed they aren't even registered on the system yet.

That would suggest either there is an issue with the loco or a customer who is dragging their feet, perhaps because they don't want to pay for an expensive asset they don't have a customer for. I'll let you work out which is more likely.

D365

Veteran Member
The Class 93, on paper, seems a modern version of the Class 90.

hwl

Established Member
The Class 93, on paper, seems a modern version of the Class 90.
Not quite. A 93 much has less power on electric than a 90 (4.0MW vs 5.86MW) even an 86 is better but the 93 has diesel, battery and better traction electronics.

Both 86s and 90s tend to get used in pairs because of the WCML challenges.

GBRf's Class 99 is what is needed for that job. 6.25MW under the wires, 1.8MW (Type 4 equivalent) diesel capability and 500kN starting tractive effort. That's a proper freight hauler.
Agreed, the 99 is the sensible initial benchmark for future freight rather than the 93 but the 99 could be improved upon.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Not quite. A 93 much has less power on electric than a 90 (4.0MW vs 5.86MW) even an 86 is better but the 93 has diesel and battery.
I understood the 93 is going to have 4.6MW, at the rail, I think.

Edit: ROG Press release July 2022)
The locomotives will have three different power sources, and in electric mode, can run on 25kV AC overhead lines with a power up to 4,600 kW. They feature a Stage V 900 kW-engine and two Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) traction battery packs, allowing them to operate on non-electrified lines. The battery packs provide 400 kW extra power to supplement the engine when the locomotives are running in diesel/battery hybrid mode. The batteries modules can also work alone, enabling carbon-free operations.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
I understood the 93 is going to have 4.6MW, at the rail, I think.
In short term "Boost" mode before it gets too hot. 4.0 in non boost mode. Either 22% (boost) or 32% (non-boost) lower than a 90 at the rail.

On Moderation
Not quite. A 93 much has less power on electric than a 90 (4.0MW vs 5.86MW) even an 86 is better but the 93 has diesel, battery and better traction electronics.
You're comparing the short term (10 minute?) rating of the Class 90 against the continuous rating of the 93. The 90 has a continuous rating of 3.7MW.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
In short term "Boost" mode before it gets too hot. 4.0 in non boost mode. Either 22% (boost) or 32% (non-boost) lower than a 90 at the rail.

But theoretically, the AC drive on the new loco would probably allow a little give in the output, particularly if the ammeters were allowed to slip momentarily into the yellow or the red - as used to happen on our AC fleets

humbersidejim

That seems like an incredibly small battery capacity.

Many mid sized EVs have a larger battery than that.

I’d have thought something several times the size would have been possible, and created a much more useful product.

hwl

Established Member
You're comparing the short term (10 minute?) rating of the Class 90 against the continuous rating of the 93.
How the ratings are defined are different for both so a direct comparison isn't easy. The peak rating of the 90 is also speed dependent.
30mins which is significantly longer than any of the climbs.

The 90 has a continuous rating of 3.7MW.
The 90 continuous rating on wikipedia etc. assumes it is in the much less efficient weak field mode which the 90s operates in from ~85-110mph which isn't relevant to freight services operating at up to 75mph. (Which is also why you haven't seen the 90s regeared for freight use as this would lower the weak field threshold to below the max freight operating speed, which is unhelpful overall at higher freight speeds.)
Modern 3 phase drives eliminate the need for the use of inefficient weak field mode.

Bob Price

So I'm theory one of these could take a Freightliner container load from Ipswich to Cardiff and use it's diesel / batteries for the short bit of missing wiring between the NLL and the GWML at Acton? There must be other examples where this applies, more of a gap filler than a 66 replacement.

59CosG95

Established Member
So I'm theory one of these could take a Freightliner container load from Ipswich to Cardiff and use it's diesel / batteries for the short bit of missing wiring between the NLL and the GWML at Acton? There must be other examples where this applies, more of a gap filler than a 66 replacement.
Anything using London Gateway.
(Perhaps) the Daventry - Wentloog runs as well, although probably not on the Northbound.

59CosG95

Established Member
Lickey incline (Bromsgrove). However it is now electrified, so theoretically no problems (assuming that the power supply can handle it, and power changeover at speed is permitted)
That's my theory too. I'm also not 100% sure on the Camp Hill Line's gradients (which, while not as extreme as the Lickey, could be too long/stiff for battery alone).
(That last set of parentheses reads like something straight out of a Carry On film!)