• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connecting walks between unusual station pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
There are a few marked on the Tube / National Rail map in London, such as Hackney Downs to Hackney Central (the connection is named after local resident and Rail Future director Roger Blake) and Forest Gate to Wanstead Park. Manor Park to Woodgrange Park is walkable but not shown so there must be a distance limit to qualify.
I think it's 600m

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
I have walked from Seaford station to Eastbourne station - about 15 miles via the coast path over Seven Sisters & Beachy Head on several occasions, though the point of that trip was to do the walk.
Also Swanage to Bournemouth (via sandbanks ferry)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Lots of walks available it seems! However, I got to the following post only before I felt the need to comment:

1. Exercise
2. Killing time before catching the Fort William overnight
3. Popped in a couple of pubs on the way
4. Saved the tube fare!

Good call! Kensington Olympia to Euston isn't that far anyway is it? Not done it myself but I'd say it's what, 4 miles at the most. I could do that in less than an hour...

Over the years I've done plenty of walks in London to save money. In the mid-2000s mostly! Paddington to Kings Cross and vice-versa was the usual choice, and back then I was definitely not physically fit, but I could still do that in 50 minutes. These days, with ultra-powerful legs I could probably do it in 40 minutes allowing for pedestrian crossings, and I won't lie to you I want to find that out now. I'm in London tomorrow as well, hmm...

Last April, following a late-notice appointment with BA, I got back to London earlier than expected. Now while I fail to note what exactly I did journey wise, I had a lot of time to fill before a coach home. I did a fair bit of walking in London (by now my fitness levels were much better, having nearly finished losing 5 stone of excess mass at the time) and somehow I ended up at Embankment. Must have been due to wanting to take some touristy photos. I could have easily walked to Victoria pretty quickly, and at my rate of walking I'd have only been a matter of minutes behind an S-stock set, but as the weather was good I did what you did, stopped off at a couple of pubs along the way!

Never ceases to surprise me how easy it is to explore London (and indeed many other cities) by foot. I used to love taking a tram through a city to explore, but these days I prefer a flipping good power-march. Copenhagen is a good one to do by foot, and the airport is easily reached by foot. I think even with a quick visit to a Netto it only took 90 minutes from the city centre, I would need to refer to my trip report for the timing.

Anyway, enough of me trying to promote exploring by foot. My only useful example here would be Warren Street to Euston Square, by LU it would take far longer than a short walk down Euston Road. Certainly a different way to transfer to the sub-surface lines if coming from say Green Park on the Victoria line and needing the north side of the H&C in a hurry. I think I did that walk after a couple of beers at Euston Tap (when I finallly found my last Victoria line sets) and even with beer in me I did platform to platform Warren Street to Euston Square in less than 10 minutes. I'd never done that walk before that occasion either!

Other useful station to station walks I like. Liverpool Lime Street's mainline station to Liverpool Central, in my experience it is WAY quicker to walk it than it is to faff around getting to the low level platforms at Lime Street and waiting for a train to Central. Again, even as a novice at the time and when I was still very unfit I did that in less than 10 minutes.

Oh and there's nothing like a good power march than Birmingham New Street to Birmingham Snow Hill. Call me crazy if you will, but that uphill section is good fun!

xotGD

Established Member
Leeds to Headingley: Walk along the canal, pint in the Kirkstall Bridge Inn, then up the hill for the train back into town. This predated the opening of Kirkstall Forge, which would now be a flatter option.

Ambergate to Matlock: Train was caped so we decided to take a walk along the canal. Again, there was a pub stop on the way, IIRC.

As a slight variation, I've walked home to Blaydon, train to Newcastle (31 on Mark 1s!), walk back home. The total walk was therefore further than Newcastle to Blaydon.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
More than once I have walked from Waterloo to King's Cross / Euston on the occasion of Tube strikes. It's not really a huge distance.

Crossover

Established Member
Have you made any interesting walking connections between unusual station pairs? (St Budeaux can't count!)

Actually, I will count St Budeaux, as @Starmill took me from the Ferry Road station down the hill via Woleseley Road, taking in views across to the Royal Albert Bridge and back up the hill to Victoria Road station. Only when we returned did I realise the two station entrances were practically opposite each other!

I would also add the walk from Coatbridge Central to Coatbridge Sunnyside - only because I was advised after I was brave to do it!

Veteran Member
More than once I have walked from Waterloo to King's Cross / Euston on the occasion of Tube strikes. It's not really a huge distance.
Blackfriars (old) to Waterloo was one I used to do regularly in preference to tube, and Green Park to St James's Park is very pleasant (cheating a bit, as I was always heading towards the Abbey area not to the platforms).
And many years ago I did Helensburgh Lower to Upper :(

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Did Pitlochry to Blair Atholl many years ago. Nice scenic forested walk along the Tummel, with sunshine dappling the woodland floor. Then it started raining, heavily... :(

On a more mundane note, Featherstone to Streethouse (or vice versa) will be done this summer.

QJ

I once walked from Twickenham to Waterloo to get to work owing to a rail strike.

A regular walk in the late 1970s/early 1980s was Euston to Victoria in the early hours of the morning. After a Saturday bashing in the NW it was up to London on the overnight from Barrow and then head off to finish the night on a newspaper train or two.

I have walked from Reading to Basingstoke and from Winchester to Basingstoke after missing the last train.

And earlier in my time in this planet I have walked from Plymouth Friary and from Millbay to North Road depending on where my parents parked their car.; The result of a lack of trains between them.

Another regular walk chasing 40s was between Glasgow’s main stations.

A Challenge

Established Member
I walked from Leigh-on-Sea to Southend Victoria via the end of Southend Pier (and the railway back down the pier) last week.

Gathursty

Established Member
I've done the walk from Hessle to Barton-upon-Humber. Great if you like heights and bridges that judder when HGVs go over them!
I've done that once both ways late in the evening. I'm certain I was being monitored just in case.

For leisure walks

Uckfield to East Grinstead, with Forest Row to EG being ex railway.
Eridge to EG
Oxted to Earlswood
Horsham to Balcombe
Much of the Capital Ring and London Loops.
Seaford to Eastbourne
Berwick to Seaford.
Amberley to Pulborough and separately Arundel

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, leisure walks... I've done Westgate on Sea to Margate several times. Next time I'll go the other way to Birchington instead.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I spent a pleasant summer's day walking from Glossop to Hadfield. Up the Doctor's Gate path, then a yomp across the moors to join the Pennine Way, down into Longendale and back along the old Woodhead rail alignment (now a cycle path/bridleway) to Hadfield station.

mrcheek

Established Member
Last summer I travelled to Cardiff bay, and then walked all along Cardiff Bay Barrage, through Penarth marina, to Cogan Station. a truly magnificent walk. It was in the middle of last summer's heat wave, but the sea breeze made it much cooler than usual

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Amershem to Chesham

Welwyn Garden City to Welwyn North (to look at the viaduct)

Established Member
Well, leisure walks... I've done Westgate on Sea to Margate several times. Next time I'll go the other way to Birchington instead.
Down that way I enjoyed Deal to Dover. The approach into Dover overlooking the docks made it interesting.
I walked from Leigh-on-Sea to Southend Victoria via the end of Southend Pier (and the railway back down the pier) last week.

Did Shoeburyness to Leigh-on-Sea last year (not via Southend pier). Again most enjoyable.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Over the Easter weekend I walked:

Princes Risborough to Wendover and
Seaford to Eastbourne

Shimbleshanks

I've cycled from Bidston to Birkenhead North a couple of times after getting off the last train from Wrexham Central - saves a long wait for the official connection from Bidston. Earlier connection probably not doable on foot unless your're a quick runner though.
CL

Spike Bank

Carlton and Netherfield (both on the outskirts of Nottingham) are less than ten minutes apart by foot, although the limited service at Netherfield is an issue here...

gcmozart

I have done

Settle -> Giggleswick (and the reverse) pleasant enough walk
short walk between the two Canterbury stations which can easily take you through the historic city centre
Walk between the two Tyndrum stations which for me was a nice walk in the December snow. The hill to Upper Tyndum was quite steep, but thankfully quite short
I have used the Maidstone East -> Ashford Intl line to do various sections of the pilgrims way, Hollingbourne to Harrietsham for example
Walmer to Deal is a good walk along the sea-front with some interesting historic buildings and a couple of good pubs
North Queensferry to Dalmeny across the original forth road bridge - needed a reasonable head for heights for that one but deffo worth the experience
Corpach -> Banavie - short walk along the Caledonian Canal which takes you to the bottom of Neptune's Staircase (the short walk from there to Fort Bill has never looked inviting enough)

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Park Street to Radlett - a nice dead straight hike down the old A5
Ridgmont to Flitwick - a bit more of a cross country hike. Only quicker if you spent too long in the tea rooms at Ridgmont and missed a Northbound and want to head South from Flitwick.

A0wen

On Moderation
St Albans to St Albans Abbey?

Another less obvious one Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead though the train would be quicker. Same goes for Welwyn GC to Hertford North. In both of those there are old railways which are now pleasant footpaths.

xotGD

Established Member
One more: The two Windsor & Eton stations. Not 100% sure I was valid returning to Slough that way from London on a 1-day Travelcard.

Running Pete

Reddish South to Reddish North, 15 minute walk, 3 train journey in either direction and only possible on Saturday!

Gilberdyke to Brough - the stations six miles apart but the walk 20 miles plus, incorporating the banks of the Humber and the southernmost bits of the Yorkshire Wolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.