• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Court Summons next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wouldn't be the first time - ask any of the guards on the forum.

And I thought it was me being naïve... How could anyone pretend to be asleep for 2 hours, maybe more without opening their eyes or 'appearing' to wake up :lol:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Is the witness not supposed to write everything down there and then, have me agree to it and then sign it so that nothing else can be written? because this did not happen... on the witnesses 'report of irregular travelling' which was received in the summons pack it is dated 16th December

The quoted posting from me was about CCTV imagery.
Your above comment is about a different matter and again is not correct.

TBH for someone about to be taken to court your naivety is shocking.

The quoted posting from me was about CCTV imagery.
Your above comment is about a different matter and again is not correct.
But if youre suggesting imagery of me being asleep, then surely it would see what else happened given that I was not taken to a more private place to discuss the matter?

TBH for someone about to be taken to court your naivety is shocking.
Agreed... I was naïve on the day... I don't deny that!

Last edited by a moderator:

najaB

Veteran Member
But if youre suggesting imagery of me being asleep, then surely it would see what else happened given that I was not taken to a more private place to discuss the matter?
Please, stop this. CCTV is a complete and total red herring. I can pretty much guarantee that the CCTV of the day in question was deleted months ago. The only reason it would have been kept is if it supports XC's case.

island

Veteran Member
Courts don't quite work that way. If the Prosecution wants to question the Accused then he will have to take the Stand and answer personally, and not speak through a third party.

For what little it's worth the defendant is not obliged to appear in person at a Magistrates Court hearing and can have a solicitor appear on his behalf.

6Gman

Established Member

Why would you be taken to "a more private place to discuss the matter". It was a fare irregularity not a medical consultation!

The Guard/ Train Manager/ RPO (or whatever he was) has got other work to do other than deal with your complex back story!

Please, stop this. CCTV is a complete and total red herring. I can pretty much guarantee that the CCTV of the day in question was deleted months ago. The only reason it would have been kept is if it supports XC's case.

So surely they would have kept it then?

talldave

Established Member
Any chance of the court details & date? This could be worth a day out.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Not what I suggested!
I suggested to others (and you) that if you wanted to use the CCTV images as a defense then that should have been requested within the time limits. They weren't, therefore it is a pointless thing to raise and does not help the discussion.
The Prosecution will not be using it; they don't need to as they have all the evidence they require from their staff.

Why would you be taken to "a more private place to discuss the matter". It was a fare irregularity not a medical consultation!

The Guard/ Train Manager/ RPO (or whatever he was) has got other work to do other than deal with your complex back story!

If he is cautioning me for an offence, he has to do so in a private place, not in the carriage. It says so on XC's Policy of prosecutions... That's why he said to me "I'm giving you this 'No Ticket?' card because I didn't want my actions to be seen as harassment! Had he have done what he was meant to do, he would have had no reason to feel it was harassing
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any chance of the court details & date? This could be worth a day out.

They're on here Dave :lol:

Clip

Established Member
If he is cautioning me for an offence, he has to do so in a private place, not in the carriage. It says so on XC's Policy of prosecutions... That's why he said to me "I'm giving you this 'No Ticket?' card because I didn't want my actions to be seen as harassment! Had he have done what he was meant to do, he would have had no reason to feel it was harassing

Just had a ski, through and can find nothing on there that states it will happen in a private place and not in the carriage - which is where most of XC ticket irrgularities will be discovered by them seeing as they dont run or manage any stations
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-ticket/prosecutions-policy

Not what I suggested!
I suggested to others (and you) that if you wanted to use the CCTV images as a defense then that should have been requested within the time limits. They weren't, therefore it is a pointless thing to raise and does not help the discussion.
The Prosecution will not be using it; they don't need to as they have all the evidence they require from their staff.

To prove that I was asleep? Could I not then argue that perhaps that's why they weren't kept, because it didn't help them, and it showed that I was in fact asleep?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
For what little it's worth the defendant is not obliged to appear in person at a Magistrates Court hearing and can have a solicitor appear on his behalf.

But the Bench do not have to accept the Third Party and can insist on the Defendant being present.
So surely they would have kept it then?

Why?
They do not need it, it wouldn't show anything that is material to your case, and they have all the evidence they require from their own staff.

(As has already been said!!)
To prove that I was asleep? Could I not then argue that perhaps that's why they weren't kept, because it didn't help them, and it showed that I was in fact asleep?

You are joking, aren't you?

6Gman

Established Member

Unlikely.

No.

No.

(CCTV might be able to prove that you were awake; unlikely to be able to prove you were asleep.)

(God, I regret mentioning CCTV in the first place :( ).

6Gman

Established Member
If he is cautioning me for an offence, he has to do so in a private place, not in the carriage. It says so on XC's Policy of prosecutions...

Did he "caution" you?

Where does it say what you claim in the XC Policy?

Just had a ski, through and can find nothing on there that states it will happen in a private place and not in the carriage - which is where most of XC ticket irrgularities will be discovered by them seeing as they dont run or manage any stations
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-ticket/prosecutions-policy

I swear I read somewhere that if someone is being cautioned that it must be done privately to align with either PACE or Data Protection Act
Did he "caution" you?

Where does it say what you claim in the XC Policy?

In the email I received from XC "An MG11 is a witness statement taken when a person has been cautioned for an offence".

Established Member
I swear I read somewhere that if someone is being cautioned that it must be done privately to align with either PACE or Data Protection Act

Hahaha No. Of course you can be cautioned in the open! The DPA would not come anywhere close to covering it! Why would it?!

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Which section of PACE does it state that?
DPA has nothing to do with this.

Stop clutching at straws!!

6Gman

Established Member
iPod in... Maybe my phone was on silent - I don't remember

My comment was in response to DaveNewcastle (and deeply off-topic), but are you now saying you had your iPod in during your journey?

My comment was in response to DaveNewcastle (and deeply off-topic), but are you now saying you had your iPod in during your journey?

Yes, when the ticket inspector walked passed me he said after he woke me (by nudging me on the shoulder) that he tried asking me for a ticket several times... obviously I did not hear him because I was asleep and had my earphones in. I wrote this in my first letter also.

Edit: hence why he had to nudge me to wake me up!
I don't see why this is relevant though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.