• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DM Interview - Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HRD

Just got a start date 21st September!

Just got the call... Start date KGX 21st Sept... its all starting now! I should get a the letter tomorrow. I haven't taken any holiday this year because of this process (and house buying) so now I get to plan something to happen before the start date...

Who's going to be at KGX???

Garyjames1701

Just got the call... Start date KGX 21st Sept... its all starting now! I should get a the letter tomorrow. I haven't taken any holiday this year because of this process (and house buying) so now I get to plan something to happen before the start date...

Who's going to be at KGX???

Wow congrats mate! Are you Thameslink side? When was your DMI if you don't mind me asking?

HRD

Wow congrats mate! Are you Thameslink side? When was your DMI if you don't mind me asking?

DMI was 5th may, medical 21st of may... i picked kgx
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'll be at King's cross. No idea how we know what side we on.

I only applied for the kings cross job when the vacancies were on the list, I i remember correctly, there were vacancies for Bedford and Blackfriars. I didn't even know you could apply for more than one depot. I didn't risk it as I thought failing one of them could count as my first strike. Tbh KGX is closer to me anyway and I wouldn't have picked Bedford at all
So Thursday I got my pre offer letter... today I got my contracts and other stuff... Now my checklist says I should have the following:

Employment contract (2 copies)
48hr opt out
New Entrant form
Emergency Contact Form
Drugs & Alcohol Policy
New Entrant Travel on GTR + Parner Declaration

Oyster (I think that's PTAC stuff and I have both for me and partner)
Pensions
BRASS
P46
Name Badge
Uniform Booklet (if applicable)
Uniform order Form (if applicable)
Document Checklist...

I have the stuff in black but not the stuff in red...

I don't have the others... d'oh
Also funnily enough I have the guidance form to fill out new partner declaration but not the actual forms... I've got forms for my 16+ kids (which I dont have at mo) and app for leisure travel for family. And they've also asked me to fill out.

Gonna email Ronke tomorrow and see what I should have... But checking the ATOC website it seems that some of these forms numbers are different ie... form 1402 is actually 1502 on the ATOC website...

Has anyone else received their pack similarly...

Amex88

HRD How long did you hear after your medical that you passed it and how long till your contracontract arrived? I am just a little curious as I have my medical next week , and without the contract arriving I cannot hand in my resignation.
Thanks

l0c0m0t1ve

Have you started your course yet? And if so how are finding it?

Hey train_spotter.

I started on the 1st of this month. The first week was all induction stuff. We were given these task books and told to go out on the network and find out about different job roles and stuff.

This week just gone we did a bit more induction at the depot and started the PTS stuff on Wednesday. Did the test on Friday - we all passed.

We should have been starting out first module on rules this week but they changed it around so the net three weeks will be spent shadowing a driver :D:D
I think you'll either be one or the other, as when I spoke with HR they said that the GN courses weren't starting until September. I have applied for GN as opposed to Thameslink, I think that may explain why I'm yet to have a date for my medical. It seems the Thameslink side is being pushed through quicker, maybe due to increased demand with the Thameslink project...

I think it's the other way round mate.

Everyone in my group is on the GN side and so are all the people in the 5 other groups.

HRD

HRD How long did you hear after your medical that you passed it and how long till your contracontract arrived? I am just a little curious as I have my medical next week , and without the contract arriving I cannot hand in my resignation.
Thanks

Hey Amex

I was a lil stuffed by my medical tbh... I had mine on 21st and then along came the bank holiday... I didn't technically hear back from them until I chased Ronke on 3rd June to find out and she told me I had passed and Claire would be in touch re start date... And Claire didn't do that until the 10th...

I've heard others been much quicker but guess that was for people starting in June/July as we all seem to be later in the year I'm not sure when you'll find out... others say it only takes a couple days for the urine tests to come back... I left mine a lil longer as I'm mid house buying and tbh didn't want to start in June... So I didn't chase as much as others might have...

Amex88

Hey Amex

I was a lil stuffed by my medical tbh... I had mine on 21st and then along came the bank holiday... I didn't technically hear back from them until I chased Ronke on 3rd June to find out and she told me I had passed and Claire would be in touch re start date... And Claire didn't do that until the 10th...

I've heard others been much quicker but guess that was for people starting in June/July as we all seem to be later in the year I'm not sure when you'll find out... others say it only takes a couple days for the urine tests to come back... I left mine a lil longer as I'm mid house buying and tbh didn't want to start in June... So I didn't chase as much as others might have...

Ok, I see. Thanks for your reply.
By the way, did you go to the place where you had your interview after your medical?

Thanks pal.

Garyjames1701

I have my medical on Tuesday morning after chasing Claire, curious to find out how long it will all get started after the medical! Providing I pass it that is! ;)

Amex88

I have my medical on Tuesday morning after chasing Claire, curious to find out how long it will all get started after the medical! Providing I pass it that is! ;)

I feel your pain lol. I have mine Thursday.
I doubt it will take long. I hope we find out pal. As I'd like to take a break before starting, and giving notice to work.

But I'm sure it will all be fine :)

WDS2015

It will all depend on spaces on courses for the depot you are going to be based at. If they are starting the TL in Sept there should be more kings cross courses coming available

Bucko

I feel your pain lol. I have mine Thursday.
I doubt it will take long. I hope we find out pal. As I'd like to take a break before starting, and giving notice to work.

But I'm sure it will all be fine :)

Mines Friday. Fingers crossed to all involved, that we pass, and get favoured depot

WDS2015

Mines Friday. Fingers crossed to all involved, that we pass, and get favoured depot

Unless you have a drugs or alcohol problem you should have no problems

It's all standard stuff, sight hearing blood pressure etc nothing to worry about

HRD

If I remember correctly they said one hour is that right??? for the GTR vacancies

332 > 444

Yes, 1 hour. I can get to Kings Cross, Blackfriars, Hornsey and Hitchin in an hour. I don't know how they check but when i applied, it was various depots and now i get communications from the GN side which means i've been put on that side as KX is 7 odd miles from my home.

l0c0m0t1ve

I'm not sure how strict they are with the 1 hour thing to be honest.

They guys on my course are from Hitchin, Peterborough, March, Reading, Huntingdon, Ickleford etc

bengley

Established Member
I've just been told I've passed and been given my medical date!

smudge67

QUOTE]I have asked this before and did not get a reply, but here goes again.Do you get a discounted travel on other Toc if you needed to use them to get to work for example to get into Euston on London Midland then one stop on the underground to Kings Cross.I have heard it's a 75% discount?? ?

bengley

Established Member
QUOTE]I have asked this before and did not get a reply, but here goes again.Do you get a discounted travel on other Toc if you needed to use them to get to work for example to get into Euston on London Midland then one stop on the underground to Kings Cross.I have heard it's a 75% discount?? ?

Yeah you get a PRIV rate season ticket (75% off) for travel on any train services

l0c0m0t1ve

We get free travel on London Midland. But you wont be able to use it until you get the permanent one.

whoosh

Established Member
You'd get free travel on other Govia franchises (currently SouthEastern, and London Midland. Southern and Gatwick Express are about to be absorbed by GTR).

GTR staff currently get something called a 'PTAC' card for themselves and ONE other person in their household. This gives a 75% discount to be loaded onto an Oystercard for London Underground, London Overground, and I think DLR as well. Buses are normal price still.
However, this is currently. We are waiting to hear what happens from the end of this month onwards with this arrangement, as that is when it comes to an end.

I should add that anyone who needs to travel to work on other TOCs can get a 'Reduced Rate Season Ticket' in most cases (I think it's only the Scotrail franchise which doesn't take part). This would give 75% off a season ticket.

Last edited:

l0c0m0t1ve

GTR staff currently get something called a 'PTAC' card for themselves and ONE other person in their household. This gives a 75% discount to be loaded onto an Oystercard for London Underground, London Overground, and I think DLR as well. Buses are normal price still.
However, this is currently. We are waiting to hear what happens from the end of this month onwards with this arrangement, as that is when it comes to an end.

I hope they keep it!

Apparently it's because Southeastern staff don't currently get it and they are trying to decide whether to make it fair by giving it to them or taking it away from everyone else

whoosh

Established Member
I hope we keep it too! (And it's extended to others too!)

newuser

Hi, seeing as the drivers have got their pay rise, does that mean trainee drivers will also receive the same increases to their salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.