• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earnings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST

Hello all,

I know the trainee salaries start at around £17-18K with around £40-45k on graduation, which with Northern is around 3 years.

I was wandering how much qualified drivers out there are earning and what sort of hours you are having to put in for the higher salaries?

Much appreciated in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reapz

Hello all,

I know the trainee salaries start at around £17-18K with around £40-45k on graduation, which with Northern is around 3 years.

I was wandering how much qualified drivers out there are earning and what sort of hours you are having to put in for the higher salaries?

Much appreciated in advance.

about 95k a year and a 25 hr working week . overtime paid at x5 , free meals.
free uniform

Silv1983

From an adult...

35 hours / 4 days a week is standard.

Worst paying TOC is just under 40k which I think is Merseyrail, and the best is Cross-Country at over £53k. No extra hours for higher salaries - all down to the individual company.

Different TOCS have different rules and conditions with regards to overtime. Northern for example won't currently allow rest day working as the West and East cannot get along and agree terms. Other organisations allow their drivers' to max out withing the Hidden rules and rake it in.

ST

From an adult...

35 hours / 4 days a week is standard.

Worst paying TOC is just under 40k which I think is Merseyrail, and the best is Cross-Country at over £53k. No extra hours for higher salaries - all down to the individual company.

Different TOCS have different rules and conditions with regards to overtime. Northern for example won't currently allow rest day working as the West and East cannot get along and agree terms. Other organisations allow their drivers' to max out withing the Hidden rules and rake it in.

Thank you, much appreciated. Your opening sentence summed up the previous post perfectly!

Beveridges

Established Member
Worst paying TOC is just under 40k which I think is Merseyrail, and the best is Cross-Country at over £53k.

I had a few arguments with a certain freight driver on here via PM's. He says hes on a basic thats well into the 60's of thousands. I don't believe it for one minute, anyone confirm if there are companies out there paying around that?

Not that I would be interested - I wouldn't do it for any amount of money!! But I ask to find out whether or not he is talking bull$hit :lol:

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
I believe someone else on another forum worked out that you get get into the 70's by doing overtime with his own TOC (XC) all within the rules.

Silv1983

I had a few arguments with a certain freight driver on here via PM's. He says hes on a basic thats well into the 60's of thousands. I don't believe it for one minute, anyone confirm if there are companies out there paying around that?

Not that I would be interested - I wouldn't do it for any amount of money!! But I ask to find out whether or not he is talking bull$hit :lol:

There's no basic freight salary that high. I think he's fudging the facts.

I've heard from one driver that they work such long hours their "contracted" hours per annum is achieved by June... and everything thereafter is overtime and comes in the form of a "happy-cheque" at the end of the financial year - which after tax can be between 10 and 20k on top. So I suppose 60k holds some truths.

455driver

Veteran Member
Far be it for me to disagree with another driver but I would think that the stuff coming out of his mouth would be very good for the rose bush!

My case-
£44k, 37 hour week, 4.4 days a week averaged out over the 60 week roster.

reapz

does he class booked sundays in a link as overtime? even if sunday is out of the working week.

JAMBO

61k basic with Gbrf,average driver around 75 plus with rest days,prob best paid on the railway,saying that quite a few heavy haul drivers are making that

GB

Established Member
61k basic with Gbrf,average driver around 75 plus with rest days,prob best paid on the railway,saying that quite a few heavy haul drivers are making that

This is not correct...at least not for the majority of the company.

GB

Established Member
Your statement that gbrf drivers are on 61k basic.

Sorry I should have been a bit more clearer with my initial reply.

JAMBO

Your statement that gbrf drivers are on 61k basic.

Sorry I should have been a bit more clearer with my initial reply.

It must go on certain depots,quite a few of the guys I know are on that contract for Gb,one reason drivers are leaving a certain other freight operator to go to them.

Silv1983

A quick bit of research shows that GBRf last recruited 'Train Managers' on a basic of £48k.
To save costs they are introducting "Assitant Train Managers" to do some of the depot/yard work. I very much doubt somewhere a depot has broken ranks and decided £61k for a basic salary makes good business sense...

What are your sources Jambo? And please don't say "I was talking to this driver, yea..." ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
made me laugh, anyway. have a look on the atoc website or is it aslef ? usually some info there. I came across it a couple of weeks back but where I can't exactly remember.

Avoid the ASLEF website for accurate information on anything. The web developer / tech-guy at ASLEF appears to have been sacked or died years ago - and not replaced.

W230

Established Member
I believe one of our drivers hit the £90k barrier last tax year (commuter TOC) but by all accounts lost his sanity in the process! :lol:

the sniper

Established Member
I believe one of our drivers hit the £90k barrier last tax year (commuter TOC) but by all accounts lost his sanity in the process! :lol:

We have a driver trainer who told me he did £110,000 last year, though he effectively spent the whole year permanently in our depot or a train cab.

JAMBO

Who is the biggest earning TOC,east coast ,x country? must be well up there with a few rest days worked. 90k is top dollars for passenger,I'm taking it he or she works for one of the mentioned?

A-driver

Established Member
Who is the biggest earning TOC,east coast ,x country? must be well up there with a few rest days worked. 90k is top dollars for passenger,I'm taking it he or she works for one of the mentioned?

Generally there is less rest day work on the higher paid TOCs-plus east coast may earn 50k but that includes Sundays-FCC earn 45k but if you work your rostered Sundays you arnt far off 50, plus FCC has a lot more RDW than EC.

Obviously if you just stick to your rostered 4 day week EC will pay more but there is often more to earn with commuter TOCs who rely more on overtime.

There are drivers who try to reach take home pay of 4k in a 4 week period. Its not easy to do-I have often got to almost 3500 take home with lots of overtime but to take home 4 you would need pretty much all the overtime you legally can do. If you are keen then this is achievable in the summer months.

JAMBO

Which TOC are we talking with a take home pay of 4k after tax,around 75k salary then,say around 30k in overtime??

455driver

Veteran Member
Well, I thought it was funny. But then, I have a sense of humour.

Its okay having a sense of humour but you must realise that you need to put a footnote on all your posts where humour is used so the MODs dont get moaning PMs about it, as I have started doing.

Better still do not use humour unless absolutely essential, or your post is directed at others who are also lucky enough to possess a sense of humour/ work in the industry and understand the meaning of "banter". ;)

Please note this post is for information purposes only and does not in any way insinuate that some people are unfortunate enough to be bereft of a sense of humour.
It is also not necessary to be "in the industry" to possess a sense of humour!

That about covers it. :lol:

the sniper

Established Member
Which TOC are we talking with a take home pay of 4k after tax,around 75k salary then,say around 30k in overtime??

I don't think you're getting the idea. The salary wouldn't be as high as 75k anywhere. It'll be done on overtime.

A-driver

Established Member

Read what I wrote again, you seem to have misread it.

I said that some drivers at my toc (FCC) try to reach a take home of 4k - that is with overtime. Our basic is about 45k, adding in Sundays and RDW + any bank holiday pay it is possible if you work hard e ought o reach the 4k mark.

I doubt any tocs have a salaried take home of 4k?

A-driver

Established Member
No, he works for FCC (TL).

Probably makes quite a difference that FCC are one of the (few?) TOCs to pay a RDW premium of £50 so working 2 rest days a week is worth £100 before you take into account the actual hours worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.