• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entire 800/801/802 fleet stood down for safety checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
LNER are showing a small number of cancellations. Mainly north of Edinburgh. Surprisingly the Peterborough - Lincoln stay. Can 2x 5 car work north of Edinburgh?
The issue with North of Edinburgh is more to do with them being unable to guarantee a bi-mode unit for those services. 5 car 800s can and have worked to Aberdeen and Inverness in service, but it is avoided where possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Which begs the question - why bother with the whole Azuma branding, then?!
I think the point others were getting at is - as per thread title - branding is irrelevant for this discussion. Ie, what LNER does or doesn't call them, doesn't matter (here).

tspaul26

Established Member
Fair enough. That seems harsh to me, but then I’ve never read the conditions (my fault!). I suppose with advances there’s an element of cheap price equalling minimal flexibility, and higher risk. Ultimately that’s the trade off for travelling hundreds of miles, with luggage, for only £20 or £30.

With my legalistic hat on the way to look at that would be to say that all train tickets are expressly sold subject to those conditions (in addition to some limited statutory rights). Anyone buying a ticket is therefore deemed to have understood and accepted them, irrespective of whether they’ve read them.

Therefore if you’re stranded away from home/unable to use your advance ticket to travel, you have no redress, so long as the TOC has discharged its responsibilities to you, both contractual and otherwise. Indeed you should (theoretically) already know exactly what you’re entitled to.

The phrase “you pays your money and you takes your choice” springs to mind. As does “If you buy cheap, you get cheap”.
Non-provision of the service paid for is unlikely to constitute discharge of the TOCs responsibilities.

NRCOT n.28.3 would in my view cover most passengers affected by this mess: there is an express contractual right to rebook for a later date in the event of delays.

If this were to reach a court, I would expect delay to be interpreted to include outright cancellation.

If a TOC were to be sued for non-compliance, I would advise them to settle at whatever price to avoid it reaching a formal judgment.

This article is probably more interesting:
Fascinating. I think we can close that one then. I am surprised that the industry hasn't spotted this sooner though. I would have like to have thought that a potential materials defect would have led to a programme of monitoring to prevent the exact situation that we find ourselves in now!

Failed Unit

Established Member
The issue with North of Edinburgh is more to do with them being unable to guarantee a bi-mode unit for those services. 5 car 800s can and have worked to Aberdeen and Inverness in service, but it is avoided where possible.
Looking at the specifics. It looks like a hangover of today’s problems. Ie they didn’t get there to get back again. The Leeds - Aberdeen stopping short is probably to keep that set on the core.

popeter45

Fascinating. I think we can close that one then. I am surprised that the industry hasn't spotted this sooner though. I would have like to have thought that a potential materials defect would have led to a programme of monitoring to prevent the exact situation that we find ourselves in now!
well it was a programme of monitoring that found this flaw so maybe already being monitored?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In answer to a Tweet it has dropped out that GWR will be operating services between Newport and Reading tomorrow

DanNCL

Established Member
Looking at the specifics. It looks like a hangover of today’s problems. Ie they didn’t get there to get back again. The Leeds - Aberdeen stopping short is probably to keep that set on the core.
It's both that and the inability to guarantee a bi-mode unit for those services.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think the point others were getting at is - as per thread title - branding is irrelevant for this discussion. Ie, what LNER does or doesn't call them, doesn't matter (here).

It makes sense to actively avoid using the branding if possible. If they flatly denied any issues with the Azumas if asked directly, that would be a different matter entirely.

I think anyone can see why it was done and why it makes sense.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Yep - In crisis management, staying "on brand" is probably bottom of the pecking order.

GNER 91128

Not really, the average passenger on LNER know that their shiny new trains are called Azumas as the branding is everywhere. So when they're being told the Class 800 Hitachi fleet are not able to run they don't see how that affects their Azuma trains. Not everyone is going to know the rolling stock class numbers.

cactustwirly

Established Member
In answer to a Tweet it has dropped out that GWR will be operating services between Newport and Reading tomorrow

With only 3 sets now available I think this will be difficult.

I'd imagine resources would be focused on running Didcot to Swindon shuttles

Darandio

Established Member
On some social media messages where they have referred to them as Hitachi/Class 8XX trains people have replied asking if that means their Azuma trains are unaffected. It's clear that changing their messaging is confusing some people.

If as a company you religously refer to your fleet as Azuma when everything is going great then you really should also be doing this at times like this.

GNER 91128

On some social media messages where they have referred to them as Hitachi/Class 8XX trains people have replied asking if that means their Azuma trains are unaffected. It's clear that changing their messaging is confusing some people.

If as a company you religously refer to your fleet as Azuma when everything is going great then you really should also be doing this at times like this.
Exactly.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With only 3 sets now available I think this will be difficult.

I'd imagine resources would be focused on running Didcot to Swindon shuttles
The 3 sets will be doing the Newport - Reading services.
My understanding is:

387s do Padd-Swindon shuttles
XC are providing Voyagers and an HST for Swindon-Bristol shuttles
The remaining 80x do Newport-Reading shuttles vice the Swansea services

JN114

Established Member
I doubt XC would have volunteered their stock and staff without assurances that they would be adequately renumerated.

I think you underestimate how well the train operators can just roll their sleeves up and get their hands dirty; if the right people are in the right places when issues like this arise.

spark001uk

Established Member

Agreed, but the point I was making is that it doesn't matter for this thread.

CHAPS2034

XC Bristol - Swindon Shuttle info for 10 May can be accessed here

Sorry unable to copy it but a Voyager and HST involved.

Only one day's timetable is available, so things may change as the situation develops.
Not really, the average passenger on LNER know that their shiny new trains are called Azumas as the branding is everywhere. So when they're being told the Class 800 Hitachi fleet are not able to run they don't see how that affects their Azuma trains. Not everyone is going to know the rolling stock class numbers.

Precisely. Just like passengers on the WCML know their EMUs as Pendolinos, not 390s.

It shows that LNER are into damage limitation for the brand which is an interesting thing to learn IMHO and captures their corporate culture...

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
Technical question. Is it established that the parts with cracks are forged, rather than cast, fabricated, or machined from solid ?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think you underestimate how well the train operators can just roll their sleeves up and get their hands dirty; if the right people are in the right places when issues like this arise.
Not at all its inherently in the industries DNA but privatisation has allowed too many barriers to be erected but with EMRAs we can see its getting back to its roots and and its first stress test its looking good

popeter45

XC Bristol - Swindon Shuttle info for 10 May can be accessed here

Sorry unable to copy it but a Voyager and HST involved.

Only one day's timetable is available, so things may change as the situation develops.

Precisely. Just like passengers on the WCML know their EMUs as Pendolinos, not 390s.

It shows that LNER are into damage limitation for the brand which is an interesting thing to learn IMHO and demonstrates their corporate culture...
i like how they are specifying what trains will be run for each service

24Grange

Is Waterloo - Exeter closed for PW work again next weekend ? Can you still use a GWR ticket on a SWR waterloo- exeter?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.