• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/United_Kingdom

Following a referendum in favour of leaving the EU in 2016, the UK gave two years' notice to leave the EU by March 2019. The UK has not yet given the required one year's notice to leave the EEA, throughout which EU roaming regulations apply, as explained in the European Union chapter. Therefore the UK remains bound by EU roaming regulations for the foreseeable future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
The best that the pro-remain media has managed so far:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...edit-card-users-uk-dominic-raab-a8504261.html

No-deal could force UK credit card users to pay £166m 'Brexit tax', government admits
Credit card users could be hit with a new "Brexit tax" amounting to some £166m if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal, according to papers published by the government today.
(article continues)

Credit card charges are the sort of thing that are 'par for the course' in the rest of the world anyway, at least on standard bank and/or credit card accounts.

fowler9

Established Member
The best that the pro-remain media has managed so far:

Credit card charges are the sort of thing that are 'par for the course' in the rest of the world anyway, at least on standard bank and/or credit card accounts.
Really? You reckon? Is that seriously the best anti Brexit press you reckon Remain has?

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Does the 'transaction period' protect us from potential Schengen visa charges and retain EHIC until the end of 2020?
Yes, but if there's no deal there's no transition period so as from Easter next year we are at the mercy of the EU regarding documents required for travel. As for the EHIC card, our driving licences etc....again with "no deal" we default to 0000 so they aren't valid until agreed otherwise.

Welcome to Brexitland!

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes, but if there's no deal there's no transition period so as from Easter next year we are at the mercy of the EU regarding documents required for travel. As for the EHIC card, our driving licences etc....again with "no deal" we default to 0000 so they aren't valid until agreed otherwise.

Welcome to Brexitland!

What's interesting is the post above claiming we need to give 12 months notice to leave the EEA and haven't given any notice. Surely if we're in then we end up like Norway until we leave the EEA as well but from what Raab said yesterday we stop paying contributions sooner if there's no deal so either the EEA notice is wrong or Raab is working on the basis that he's going to stick up two fingers at the EEA if we don't get a deal with the EU.

Groningen

Established Member
Dominic Raab must be very fond of the BLT-sandwich. As if that is important.

So we have added burocracy, the UK stockpiling medicine and UK thrown out the EU bankingsystem.

There are plans to let freight to and from Ireland go directly from Europian mainland; so avoiding Britian roads.

Groningen

Established Member
There is also a story that some electric power (or all) going to Northern Ireland is coming from Ireland.

AM9

Veteran Member
Just as long as it's not made with Danish bacon and Spanish tomatoes, otherwise the cost of it will rise post-Brexit. ;)
It's an irony that our representative minister for leaving the EU and becoming 'British' again, assures everybody of the continued availability of an American originated sandwich. Maybe he's getting the general population ready for life in the 51st State. :)

pemma

Veteran Member
Dominic Raab must be dying to get rid of 'EU red tape' on worker's rights

Working For: Dominic Raab MP (Esher and Walton)

Salary: Commuting expenses to and from Westminster reimbursed

Job Details

Based in Westminster, this volunteer position would ideally suit a gap year student or recent school leaver. Although this is an unpaid role, commuting travel expenses to and from Westminster will be reimbursed. This is a part-time positon (we anticipate 3-4 days a week), and we would prefer to offer a placement of between four and six months.

Main areas of work the volunteer could undertake include:
• Working with the Senior Caseworker to help deal with constituency correspondence
• Supporting the Senior Parliamentary Assistant with research
• Undertaking general administrative/secretarial tasks
• Assisting with the work of other colleagues as required and communicating with internal contacts and local stakeholders
• Other ad-hoc duties as required

Candidates should have the following skills and qualities:
• Good communication and administrative skills
• Competent use of IT including Microsoft Office package, email and internet to support the above, including MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel
• Experience of working with members of the public would be an advantage
• Good team work ethic is essential

http://w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=64609

pemma

Veteran Member
It's an irony that our representative minister for leaving the EU and becoming 'British' again, assures everybody of the continued availability of an American originated sandwich. Maybe he's getting the general population ready for life in the 51st State. :)

One of the Brexiteers they dug out yesterday was arguing no deal would mean cheaper oranges as we could import from California without paying as much import taxes. Surely if we're importing from a non-EU country a northern African country is the best bet for oranges (especially given UK supermarkets already sell oranges from Morocco.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Groningen

Established Member
Nice thing will be that those sigaret packs will get new pictures, because the EU has the rights of the 42 photos.

It seems so that UK has an emergency plan to show the EU that they are prepared to a No Deal and that the UK does not mess around and that there are borders to concessions. But than the EU has the same.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Nice thing will be that those sigaret packs will get new pictures, because the EU has the rights of the 42 photos.
I'm sure we can find 42 photos of British lungs that have been buggered by smoking...

But it's the little details like this that come out as the deadline approaches, making it difficult to meet politically-convenient targets.

bramling

Veteran Member

I don’t think that’s really ironic, as one thing that has been pretty consistent from the leave side is extolling the benefit of trading with the whole world.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I don’t think that’s really ironic, as one thing that has been pretty consistent from the leave side is extolling the benefit of trading with the whole world.

A rare injection of insight and intelligence there.

Many of us leave voters have abandoned this part of the forum since it has become a boring echo chamber of nonsense about sandwich prices, visas to visit Spain (as if), credit card charges blah blah blah...

If their concern had been expressed along the lines of house prices rather than banalities such as the price of BLT sandwiches, the price of oranges etc. I’d have far more sympathy. Clearly some of us have bigger fish to fry!

I suspect many BREXIT complainants on here live a fairly marginal existence and don’t own any property whatsoever.

Maybe they should leave these decisions to those of us who have actual “skin in the game” yet still voted leave ;).

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
The latest bonkers statement.

Only homeowners have a say in the brexit debate. :rolleyes:

Bromley boy

Established Member
The latest bonkers statement.

Only homeowners have a say in the brexit debate. :rolleyes:

Aha, you’ve swum up from the depths again :D

Since you mention it, yes! I’ve owned my own home since I was 24 (bought by the sweat of my brow, with no help from the folks) and I’ve paid 40% tax since I was 22...

10+ years on I might even have bought another home since and be paying tax on the rental income...

Based on tax receipts I think that qualifies me to have a bigger say than you, don’t you think?!

A Brexit house price dip will hit me far harder than it hits you...

So come on! Let’s hear your great big lefty moan about how badly Brexit affects you, how dreadful it all is, how it’s all down to the Tories/someone else’s fault etc. (although, I note you’ve also admited you voted for it yourself <:D)

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Based on tax receipts I think that qualifies me to have a bigger say than you, don’t you think?!

One person. One vote.

One idiot. One opinion.

And, despite being absolutely ****ing irrelevant, you know my tax status and property holdings do you? Whoop-de-do that you've owned property and paid higher rate tax since your early twenties. Sense of entitlement much? We have universal suffrage in this country. The UK is not a plutocracy. Mind you, the last two governments have all the hallmarks of a kakistocracy.

Lefty moan? Voted Labour nationally once. Locally just once too. Made some bad voting choices down the years too. Don't have foresight or a working crystal ball.

But yes. Brexit is wholly down to the Tories. They've sold the country down the river.

The smileys do not disguise your vitriol. Despicable.

Last edited:

trash80

Established Member
I suspect many BREXIT complainants on here live a fairly marginal existence and don’t own any property whatsoever.

Maybe they should leave these decisions to those of us who have actual “skin in the game” yet still voted leave ;).

I'd say it was the opposite, if you are on a "marginal existence" then Brexit will potentially affect you much more, so have much more skin in the game than someone with plenty of slack to take price rises and disruption.

whhistle

On Moderation
Since you mention it, yes! I’ve owned my own home since I was 24 (bought by the sweat of my brow, with no help from the folks) and I’ve paid 40% tax since I was 22...

On the assumption you bought when house prices were lower, probably have a much better LTV and a better rate of interest than people buying in the past few years/now.
If house prices dipped, you wouldn't be in negative equity, but I suspect people who have bought in the past 12 months/buying now may very well be.

And taking into account you chose to take a job that means you would pay more tax; it's all your choice. You can moan about it, but you were better off at 22 than many 22 year olds are now.

And no, just because you pay more tax does not qualify you to have a bigger say.
But then again, I guess money drives your life :roll:

However, I do agree with you in that many, many remain voters seem to think the world as we know it will end and we'll turn into some sort of 3rd world country. I am glad at least you and I realise that isn't going to happen.

radamfi

Established Member
Even if you own property, unless you never plan to buy a more expensive house, you are still better off with a house price drop as you will save more money with the fall in value of your replacement house than you will lose in your current one.

visas to visit Spain (as if)

Has anyone actually said visas might be required to *visit* Spain? Even if someone has said that, there have been many more instances of people saying that you might actually need a visa to live in Spain, which is a genuine grievance. Even if you can get a visa, you might be crippled financially if it becomes necessary to buy private medical insurance on the open market. Some EU countries don't offer retirement visas at all, so would become unavailable to potential British retirees.

greyman42

Established Member
On the assumption you bought when house prices were lower, probably have a much better LTV and a better rate of interest than people buying in the past few years/now.
If house prices dipped, you wouldn't be in negative equity, but I suspect people who have bought in the past 12 months/buying now may very well be.

And taking into account you chose to take a job that means you would pay more tax; it's all your choice. You can moan about it, but you were better off at 22 than many 22 year olds are now.

And no, just because you pay more tax does not qualify you to have a bigger say.
But then again, I guess money drives your life :roll:

However, I do agree with you in that many, many remain voters seem to think the world as we know it will end and we'll turn into some sort of 3rd world country. I am glad at least you and I realise that isn't going to happen.
What makes you think he would of had a better rate of interest than people buying now?

AM9

Veteran Member

So what? I've owned a house since I was 22, no help either. All paid off in 6th house now. Why would any of that make me want to ditch the EU?

NSEFAN

Established Member
So what? I've owned a house since I was 22, no help either. All paid off in 6th house now. Why would any of that make me want to ditch the EU?
I think his point was more that he stands to lose more, and yet still supports Brexit, so it can't be that bad?

Puffing Devil

Established Member

10+ years on I might even have bought another home since and be paying tax on the rental income...

So come on! Let’s hear your great big lefty moan about how badly Brexit affects you, how dreadful it all is, how it’s all down to the Tories/someone else’s fault etc. (although, I note you’ve also admited you voted for it yourself <:D)

Considerably Richer Than You - Harry Enfield and Chums - BBC

I find your tax receipts comment odious. What about compassion, care for others? This is the thinking that has the homeless population growing, multi-day waits for ambulances, a crumbling NHS, failing social care. And yet we continue to p!ss more money up the wall in search of some 1950s nationalistic ideal, supported by many who voted as a protest due to immigration or have a comfortable life and are insulated from the harsh realities of a margin life that is about to get a lot harsher when Brexit really bites.

I've given up on this thread - both sides are entrenched, I may pop back in a couple of years if Brexit happens to see if we're all feeling the same.

pemma

Veteran Member
A rare injection of insight and intelligence there.

Many of us leave voters have abandoned this part of the forum since it has become a boring echo chamber of nonsense about sandwich prices, visas to visit Spain (as if), credit card charges blah blah blah...

If their concern had been expressed along the lines of house prices rather than banalities such as the price of BLT sandwiches, the price of oranges etc. I’d have far more sympathy. Clearly some of us have bigger fish to fry!

It was Brexiteers who brought up BLT sandwiches and the price of oranges in the media in the past few days. Raab didn't even promise the price of a BLT sandwich wouldn't increase, he just promised we'd still be able to have them - what an utterly stupid thing for the politician in charge of Brexit to say. Anyone knows UK farms have pigs and we can grow lettuce and tomatoes in the UK. The other day Channel 4 news had 3 guests to discuss Brexit - it was the person who supported Brexit who had QC after his name who wanted to make an argument about oranges - the newsreader and the other two guests were obviously annoyed that he was being given airtime when there were much more relevant points to be made.

Howardh

Established Member
It's about now - late summer - I book my first holiday for the following year (March/April/May) but - putting this as kindly as I can - due to Brexit "uncertainties" I'm holding back until either a deal is announced or we have actually left and late bookings can be made. Basically, I don't wnat to book scheduled flights and then find they are altered/cancelled/rerouted and have my plans turned upside-down (I only have 4-5 day breaks so losing a few hours is quite a percentage). I understand standard holiday insurance doesn't cover Brexit issues, would like more clarification on that.

I'd be holding back even if I was the most keen Brexiter ever, never mind a staunch remoaner.

Point is, I wonder, this autumn, how many others will hold back on booking holidays and holiday companies + airlines will take a hit? On the plus side, hotels abroad may see a dip in bookings and try to twist the arms of the EU to come up with something. Must be noted Brexit immediately preceeds the Easter weekend. Not the best of timing....

pemma

Veteran Member
It's about now - late summer - I book my first holiday for the following year (March/April/May) but - putting this as kindly as I can - due to Brexit "uncertainties" I'm holding back until either a deal is announced or we have actually left and late bookings can be made. Basically, I don't wnat to book scheduled flights and then find they are altered/cancelled/rerouted and have my plans turned upside-down (I only have 4-5 day breaks so losing a few hours is quite a percentage). I understand standard holiday insurance doesn't cover Brexit issues, would like more clarification on that.

I'd be holding back even if I was the most keen Brexiter ever, never mind a staunch remoaner.

Point is, I wonder, this autumn, how many others will hold back on booking holidays and holiday companies + airlines will take a hit? On the plus side, hotels abroad may see a dip in bookings and try to twist the arms of the EU to come up with something. Must be noted Brexit immediately preceeds the Easter weekend. Not the best of timing....

I notice Easyjet aren't yet selling any flights for post-Brexit dates, they are expected to put them on sale in October.

If you book early there's a chance the flight times may change even without Brexit. Airlines will offer you the chance to move to an alternative flight for free when that happens but if there's only one flight a day and it's changed from 13:00 arrival to 19:00 arrival, you either have to accept the new time or change to the previous/next day and pay for an extra day's accommodation.

Easter's late next year - not until 21st April (almost a month after Brexit), which means there's two long weekends close to one another. If the Conservatives can't sort out any issues with UK to EU flights by Easter next year then they should be permanently banned from office as that would be unprecedented for any country not at war.

Howardh

Established Member
I notice Easyjet aren't yet selling any flights for post-Brexit dates, they are expected to put them on sale in October.

If you book early there's a chance the flight times may change even without Brexit. Airlines will offer you the chance to move to an alternative flight for free when that happens but if there's only one flight a day and it's changed from 13:00 arrival to 19:00 arrival, you either have to accept the new time or change to the previous/next day and pay for an extra day's accommodation.

Easter's late next year - not until 21st April (almost a month after Brexit), which means there's two long weekends close to one another. If the Conservatives can't sort out any issues with UK to EU flights by Easter next year then they should be permanently banned from office as that would be unprecedented for any country not at war.
It's a fair point that flight times do change, yet as far as I can remember - even booking well in advance - I have only had one flight changed, and that was a couple of hours. But there must be a greater risk of changes if a deal's late or even more if there isn't one. I have heard that if there's no deal and emergency plan will be put in place - whether that means they can run their schedule as planned I don't know.

Ironically my first scheduled break is in June to Gibraltar for some hockey, interesting that the company I should be flying with (Easyjet) hasn't a timetable yet as you mention!!

Also, that late easter will be combined with the bank holiday to give holidaymakers a large window if they are taking the days off inbetween which is probably a good thing. But on the negative side, companies will be expecting more to book (late holiday = better/warmer weather in the Med) and it will be a bigger hit if they don't. Then when Brexit's sorted, the rush is bound to put up prices!! The bargains migh be before the deal, with cheap offers to get those seats sold, so if a flight's cancelled for £29 (and anyone using booking.com won't have to pay the hotel until arrival) it's not so much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.