EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ainsworth74, 23 Jun 2016.

1. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Haven't caught the full story, but heard on the news that "sector by sector" deals would be illegal under WTO rules?

2. Howardh

We'll end up somewhere inbetween Zimbabwe and the USA.

Venezuela???

3. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Just outside the TfGM empire border region.
    An interesting observation, noting that when Zimbabwe achieved independence, one of their main priorities was to return farmlands to their historically-based peoples.

So, drawing comparisons, will the Celts be also given back ownership of our home-based farmlands...:rolleyes:

4. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

The US administration have used this line before. But before people rush off to buy their USA flags to celebrate, Trump's administration isn't exactly known for being very accommodating to countries not prepared to be told by the US exactly what any deal should look like. And let us not forget that this latest instance has come from the National Security Adviser, so there are going to be military caveats for sure. Greenham Common anyone...???

5. Xenophon PCDGS

Or even out in mid-Atlantic in a plethora of canoes without any paddles...:p

6. Typhoon

Typhoon Member

I would rather we were doing trade deals with countries or groups on a similar level to us so we were bargaining as equals then when we have built up a sound trading network, turn to the US. I think we also need to think about what we are likely to be able to export to them that we don't do now (because of the price differential that free trade brings) and what they are likely to export to us, and how this will affect our industries. Hopefully, this sort of planning has been going on, but ….

7. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's a shame we could be part of a economic block that is a similar size in economic terms to the United States or China. That would help us get a good deal as we'd be able to approach the table as equals rather than in a position of fundamental weakness. Shame that such thing isn't possible...

8. anme

anme Established Member

Could you name a few countries or blocks that we should target - that are "on a similar level to us so we were bargaining as equals"?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2019
  9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    agreed - as if the USA is going to do us any favours! They are going to pull our pants down and bend us over and give us a jolly good spanking

10. Xenophon PCDGS

Do I sense some similarity to disciplinary procedures carried out by a housemaster at Eton, a place well known to certain elements in the top echelon of the Conservative Party in that statement above?

11. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Trump, or his ghost writer. The Art of the Deal.

12. AM9

AM9 Established Member

You seem to have a far more intimate knowledge of whatever went on there than me. :)

13. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

If only this could happen and with close neighbours. We could call it the union of Europe. That or we could start trading with Australia (Do we not already) whose former leader called us effing idiots for leaving the EU, or the US who want to bend us over a tree and do something medieval to us. Perhaps China who have just told us to geg out of what is going on in Hong Kong because it is none of our business. India who want freedom of movement to the UK for citizens in exchange for deal. The mind just boggles.

Apologies Typhoon. This isn't aimed at you. Just random thoughts.

14. Bantamzen

As I expected, Phillip Hammond is moving towards wrecking the government's weak working majority, and starting the push towards blocking any attempt to force through a no deal scenario:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49336144

I fully expect that when Parliament reconvenes there will be a rapid meltdown on Brexit, & BoJo will try to pull out all the stops to force a shutdown. What will happen from there is anyone's guess, but one thing for sure is don't expect anything like a functional government, it will be even more chaotic than it currently is!

15. ainsworth74

Knew there was a reason I liked Phillip Hammond :lol:

16. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

"Strong and stable...."

17. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Tbh, getting a suspension is foolish, as it undermines democracy, and I doubt the Queen would agree to one, she wants to stay out of politics and stay neutral.

18. Geezertronic

Geezertronic Established Member

They are all about as undemocratic as each other to be honest.

From what I understand, Hammond will try to usurp UK law, and Johnson would likely retaliate by proroguing parliament

19. Howardh

He sounds like every airline pilot sounds!

20. DerekC

DerekC Member

No that's Bullsh*t Boris - "everything is going to be just fine but just in case, adopt the brace position". Unfortunately there aren't any emergency exits!

21. Bantamzen

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'like', more 'prefer over BoJo'. But to be fair I would prefer a bag of dead badgers to BoJo, so that bar isn't very high! ;)

"This is Captain BoJo speaking. Everything is going to be just fine but just in case, adopt the brace position. Also please don't worry about the wings falling off, we are technically in a big tube & when I was at school we used to use big tubes to make rockets, and they flew OK. Oh and the smoke filling the cabin, well we are ignoring that for now, its probably Corbyn smoking something herbal...." ;):D

22. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

Or we could concentrate on trade and call it the EEC or even EFTA and forget all the political one size fits all nonsense!

23. anme

anme Established Member

Please explain what you mean by "usurp UK law".

24. Geezertronic

My understanding is that is Law that the UK will leave the EU on October 31st and the only ways to change that is for either Parliament to change the Law, or the PM to request an extension to the EU. So if Hammond wants to change that, he would be (in my opinion) usurping UK law to do so. It's about as democratic as the PM proroguing parliament

25. Meole

Meole Member

Collaborators are to be identified for colluding with the enemy.

26. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Parliament exists to make and amend laws. Parliament voted to revoke Article 50 because that was the only route to begin negotiations towards implementing the 2016 result, with the unfortunate but apparently unavoidable consequence of a default to no deal if a deal could not be agreed and ratified.

What is antidemocratic is to allow no-deal to happen when Parliament has since explicitly voted against it. If the goverment was democratic enough to put no-deal to the people they would probably reject it as well (and according to surveys would now reject Brexit entirely). Hammond is only trying to prevent Johnson usurping the role of Parliament and probably also the will of the people.

27. ainsworth74

Who are the collaborators and who is the enemy?

28. Geezertronic

Nice typo :)

But Parliament voted against every deal put forward, regardless of how useless it was, so the default by Law as I understand it is to leave on 31st October. I realise there were stipulations regarding a deal for that to happen (and it might still happen, who knows), but going behind peoples backs particularly to the EU as Hammond apparently has does not help any negotiations especially given the fact that the EU do not want us to leave either.

29. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Wait, there's an opposition? Who?!

30. EM2

EM2 Established Member

To quote the late Sir Terry Pratchett in 'Jingo':