• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
When diesel cars go, will that also spell the end for diesel as well?.

If they get rid of the diesel engine altogether, what's going to happen to train station and hospital stand by generators.
there are loads and loads of these. Every large building I have worked in one has a standby generator, and I have seen them fired up in anger to cover for short power cuts.
And railway signalling plant has them too. I think they are standard kit in remote interlockings and signalling centres.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
When diesel cars go, will that also spell the end for diesel as well?.

If they get rid of the diesel engine altogether, what's going to happen to train station and hospital stand by generators.

What on earth has this to do with Brexit? Time to find another thread.

Groningen

Established Member
Theresa May showed her true colors to say that all those climate children should be in school and not demonstrate for their future.

bramling

Veteran Member
Theresa May showed her true colors to say that all those climate children should be in school and not demonstrate for their future.

I agree with her.

One wonders how many of these kids chose off their own back to demonstrate, as opposed to being put up to it by adults with an agenda?

If there’s a case for trying to arrest climate change, one way or other it should be made based on facts and not resorting to using minors as puppets.

HH

Established Member
I see another rat is about to desert the sinking ship:

Britain's richest man is planning to avoid up to £4bn in UK taxes after moving his home and money to Monaco, the Sunday Times reports on its front page. Prominent Brexiteer Sir Jim Ratcliffe last week criticised the EU over its "stupid" green taxes.
This is on the front of the Sunday Times, but can't see the whole story because of the paywall (quote is from BBC The Papers).

I wonder how long it's going to take before Brexit voters realise that they have been conned? What they voted for was never the aim of the very rich who backed Brexit.

A Challenge

Established Member
Surprising to see so little mention of this around - Mr Rees Mogg defending the use of concentration camps and saying that they were actually for the interred's safety

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47247835/jacob-rees-mogg-comments-on-concentration-camps
Just for clarification - this isn't the death camps of WWII - this is from the Boer War. More information below:
The campaign against Winston Churchill is becoming unhinged. Consider this complaint from the popular Corbynite website The Canary: “On the 14 February edition of the BBC‘s Question Time, Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg attempted to defend Churchill’s use of concentration camps during the Boer War.”

Seriously, comrades? His use of concentration camps? The main connection Churchill had with camps in the Boer War is that he was interned in a PoW camp – by the Boers. He escaped, made it back to Britain and was elected to Parliament where, in a startlingly magnanimous maiden speech in 1901, he called on his countrymen to deal generously with the enemy who were, he said, simply fighting for their homes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...hurchill-part-bigger-war-british-history/amp/

DerekC

Established Member
I am absolutely not a Rees-Mogg fan, but I did hear what he actually said which was that the concentration camps which the British set up in the Boer War were not at all the same as the Nazi WWII ones. Which is (I hope) true. But that won't stop him being quoted out of context for ever and a day.

Basher

Headlines on today's Sunday Express. "EU food aid for no deal Britain" . Project Fear or are they on case to reduce obiesity etc.

dgl

Established Member
Historian Robert Saunders doesn't agree and neither do I:

http://gladstonediaries.blogspot.com/2019/02/british-concentration-camps-response-to.html?m=1

Rees-Mogg is a horrible individual and is only interested in his own agenda. I really struggle to understand why anyone, the media included, is giving him any time at all...
Probably because it is him who runs the country ;) Maybot is his way of ruining the country whilst getting her to take all the blame.
Admittedly though he is always a good HIGNFY guest.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Admittedly though he is always a good HIGNFY guest.

Isn’t that usually the problem? Take a vaguely eccentric or plummy-sounding politician, stick them on a panel show or two, give them a TV series and lo, ‘Ohh, I like the cut of Uxorious Wigby-Smythe’s jib’ and we have ourselves a well-liked-by-some idiot vying for a leadership position or running with some daft, disconnected notion of how a country should be voting, thinking or dealing with the world.

I need a gin.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Isn’t that usually the problem? Take a vaguely eccentric or plummy-sounding politician, stick them on a panel show or two, give them a TV series and lo, ‘Ohh, I like the cut of Uxorious Wigby-Smythe’s jib’ and we have ourselves a well-liked-by-some idiot vying for a leadership position or running with some daft, disconnected notion of how a country should be voting, thinking or dealing with the world.

I need a gin.

Basically how we ended up with Boris as Mayor of London. For the novelty value, not serious politics.

nlogax

Established Member
Basically how we ended up with Boris as Mayor of London. For the novelty value, not serious politics.

I preferred it when things were the other way around and mediocre (at best) politicians become decent and interesting TV presenters after their political careers ended. Portillo being the most immediate example I can think of.

dgl

Established Member
Yes, I don't know if it's still there but on YouTube there was an unedited version of one of his times hosting HIGNFY, one of the funniest thing I've ever seen. Quite the bumbling fool.

Doppelganger

Yes, I don't know if it's still there but on YouTube there was an unedited version of one of his times hosting HIGNFY, one of the funniest thing I've ever seen. Quite the bumbling fool.

There are some who love this bumbling fool thing. This is Brexit all over where someone who is from the upper classes tells the working man where they have gone wrong and what they should do better with their life.

For some reason, some being loved put in their place and being lorded over. Makes a mockery of the democratic process where some are so easily led really...

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

One could say that all three mayors were chosen based on personality.

It’s a rather sad situation where one can while away a few minutes in a pub not debating which of the three mayors has been the best, rather which of the three has been least odious. In actual fact we concluded Boris, albeit that’s not saying much against the competition!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am absolutely not a Rees-Mogg fan, but I did hear what he actually said which was that the concentration camps which the British set up in the Boer War were not at all the same as the Nazi WWII ones. Which is (I hope) true. But that won't stop him being quoted out of context for ever and a day.

Rees-Mogg was intellectually dishonest about the internment camps in the Boer War. The human cost was vast and it is not true their use was principally to protect the internees. They were used as a weapon of coercion - families were usually interned to make the men, still on guerilla squads, stop fighting.

They were a catastrophe.

Doppelganger

Rees-Mogg was intellectually dishonest about the internment camps in the Boer War. The human cost was vast and it is not true their use was principally to protect the internees. They were used as a weapon of coercion - families were usually interned to make the men, still on guerilla squads, stop fighting.

They were a catastrophe.

The link I included above says exactly this. Mogg knows exactly what he is saying and enough people will believe it and not bother to fact check for themselves. It is often easier to just go with the narrative that supports your existing stance and then have a faux outrage which is what he seems to bring out of others so well.

nidave

The UK is desperate for deals and yet the UK is still making demands and thinks they call the shots
Japanese officials have reportedly accused Jeremy Hunt and Liam Fox of taking a “high-handed” approach towards a post-Brexit free trade deal, and briefly considered cancelling bilateral talks due to take place this week.

The Financial Times cited unnamed officials in Tokyo who reacted with dismay to a letter sent on 8 February in which Hunt, the foreign secretary, and Fox, the international trade secretary, insisted that “time is of the essence” in securing a trade deal with Japan, the world’s third-biggest economy.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...talks-high-handed-letter-liam-fox-jeremy-hunt

nidave

This will be interesting to see what people say if true - its Twitter so take it with a pinch of salt until confirmed by the media

BREAK @MarkKleinmanSky reporting Honda is preparing to announce the closure of its factory in Swindon, dealing a devastating blow both to its 3500-strong workforce and ministers’ hopes that the UK will remain an elite manufacturing economy after Brexit.
https://twitter.com/danskywilliams/status/1097497035987738625

Puffing Devil

Established Member
This will be interesting to see what people say if true - its Twitter so take it with a pinch of salt until confirmed by the media

https://twitter.com/danskywilliams/status/1097497035987738625

Confirmed on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47282603 (Honda set to close Swindon car plant)

Brexit is understood to be a factor in the decision, with the carmaker concerned about the imposition of new tariffs after the UK leaves the EU.​

Any of our resident Brexiteers happy with this?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Confirmed on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47282603 (Honda set to close Swindon car plant)

Brexit is understood to be a factor in the decision, with the carmaker concerned about the imposition of new tariffs after the UK leaves the EU.​

Any of our resident Brexiteers happy with this?
I'm going to predict that the response will be "it's nothing to do with Brexit".

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I'm going to predict that the response will be "it's nothing to do with Brexit".

I'm pretty sure that will be the case, though I do see two factors:
  • The free trade deal with the EU has made the need for local manufacturing plant less of a necessity
  • If you have a less necessary plant, the last thing you want is it to be stuck outside a frictionless trade zone
    • Compared to the cost of shipping from Japan with a local, integrated, supply chain an isolated plant becomes very unattractive.
Had we stayed in the EU, I'm sure the plant would have remained. We'll just have to see.

Meanwhile, this article from the FT from 2016, dismissed as project fear, does seem rather prescient:

https://www.ft.com/content/27d7b066-447c-11e6-b22f-79eb4891c97d

UK car factories face uncertain future after Brexit
Plants run by Nissan, Honda and Toyota most at risk of closure after UK leaves EU, says new report​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.